FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15678 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #90 on: Feb 10, 2021, 06:24 AM »
Z do you have any problems with birds bouncing off the window?

Mostly doves. They’re not very smart from what I can tell. Every once in a while we can see a perfect dove shadow on the picture window in the kitchen.

No obsession Mac. Just enjoyment.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #91 on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Well this could go in  the “little wood shop” thread, but it’s for the Bluebirds.
“Our Bluebird buffet”

I got tired of chasing the starlings off the platform feeder. They devour the mealworms and suet pellets. So, I made a bluebird feeder. The entrance is only 1 1/2” so the starlings can’t get in. The smaller birds like the wrens might make use of it too.

One side of the roof is removable for filling and cleaning. The house should be pretty water and snow proof.

There’s a pan of mealworms, sunflower chips, chopped dried cherries and mealworm suet pellets for them. We’ve had up to 7 bluebirds at out feeders and water dish this last week. We’ll see if they get used to it.

Giving them a food source in the winter is helpful. We’ll take it down when spring and bugs arrive.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #92 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:39 PM »
Very nice feeding/water station..... :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #93 on: Feb 17, 2021, 04:50 PM »
I made the feeder completely out of stuff I had laying around. It was a challenge I set for myself.

We’ve been really happy with how much the birds use the water dish. Best item I’ve added to the winter feeders.  Only thing I’ve found is that you need to clean it thoroughly about every 4-5 days. Man it gets pretty gross if you don’t.

$20 worth of enjoyment for my Bride and I. And....the birds love it.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #94 on: Feb 18, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Well the bluebirds found the feeder. One went right in and chowed down. Only problem was it couldn’t find its way out. The entrance hole was too high and it couldn’t get to it. I had to go out and release it...which was kind of cool. I’ve never held a live bluebird before. It was remarkably calm.

Anyway I added a platform in the feeder to raise the floor  so they can pretty much walk right out with ease.

We’ll see how they do with that.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #95 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:22 AM »
Put up a new nest box for the bluebirds yesterday.

I decided to go with a Peterson style box this time. We were sitting out and within 2 hours there was a pair in and out of the house checking it out. I think they approved.

They’ve been using the feeder I put out

I removed the plexiglas from one side and installed some dowels to make 1.5 x 1.5” openings. They still weren’t too sure about it so I added a couple perches for them to land on. Now 2 of them use it regularly. I’ll sink a post near the nest box and move it over there sometime soon to give them a food source when they decide to take up residence. The only challenge then is to keep the damned starlings out of it.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #96 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:25 AM »
Nice job...👍
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #97 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:28 AM »
Yeah, I like the blue birdhouse👍

Bob

zwiggles

« Reply #98 on: Mar 10, 2021, 05:26 PM »
Very nice indeed!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #99 on: Mar 12, 2021, 03:01 PM »
Saw my first flock of killdeers down by the canal this morning.

Rg

yankmyline

« Reply #100 on: Mar 20, 2021, 07:56 PM »
I have a pair of bluebirds starting to build a nest. During the winter 5 to 8 bluebirds would come to my mealworm feeder every day. Once the pair started nesting they chased the others away.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #101 on: Mar 21, 2021, 09:20 PM »
Yeah, the nesting pair have been chasing the others away for the last couple weeks. It’s normal territorial behavior. They seem to be more accommodating at the feeder box for some reason. We have 6  or 7 around .

They really like the heated water bowl as do all the other birds. Our best addition to our winter feeding stations. So far.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #102 on: Mar 25, 2021, 01:42 PM »
Not a Bluebird , but I had a male Scarlet Tanger checking out a couple of my birdhouses. For some reason I dont see many of them. He was beautiful

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #103 on: Mar 25, 2021, 02:58 PM »
I see them sometimes along the canal when fishing in the summer.
 They’re pretty special.
Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #104 on: Apr 22, 2021, 06:47 PM »
My bluebirds didn't come back this year but my son has 2 nesting pairs in his back yard. Took this shot sitting on his deck. Cool bird, they're not shy. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.