FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question...Anyone Make Their own Seed Cakes?  (Read 1318 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Question...Anyone Make Their own Seed Cakes?
« on: Feb 03, 2021, 05:23 AM »
I’ve been buying mealworm/seed cakes for our bluebirds ( the finches have learned to love them too). They’re expensive.

I’d like to find a reliable recipe to make my own. There’s a bunch on the web but I was wondering if anyone knew a recipe that works well before I start making a mess and spending money.

Thanks in advance.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

Re: Question...Anyone Make Their own Seed Cakes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:34 AM »
Yes. Actually I made a batch yesterday.  I am using a recipe i found years ago. from Birds and Blooms magazine I make a huge batch each time. All the birds love it even the Juncos swarm it.

8# of lard
6# of cheap peanut butter
5# of corn meal
5# of sun flour chips
10# of flour

Melt lard and PB in a large kettle and add the other ingredients while stirring. It will seem runny, but will tighten up when cool. It holds up in the summer heat too.
If you use generic ingredients, It is under a buck a pound. You can cut the recipe in half or smaller if you want.
The Hairy and Downy woodpeckers have fallen in love with it. Also the Red Bellies, Cardinals, sparrows,. Blue Jays.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2021, 06:45 AM »
Thanks. I should have been more specific. I make suet blocks already. Most of the birds make use of them.  I’m looking to make seed cakes without lard or PB.

Some of the recipes use gelatin, some are baked using only egg whites to bind the seed together.

Like these.

Stupid me, should have read the package first. The only non seed ingredient is gelatin.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2021, 05:50 AM »
Made the first batch ....turned out just ok. They’re a bit soft. Put one on the feeder tray and the bluebirds went right after it. Had 4 on the platform at once. Next batch I’m going to use a cooked gelatin recipe I found. Same basic ingredients but the gelatin is cooked before adding to the seed.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2021, 07:14 AM »
Well, the seed cakes worked out just fine after a few days in the fridge.

Put one out this morning and the birds were on it immediately. Think I’m going to make a tray to put under the basket that holds them to catch the stuff that falls off. They’re messy eaters.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Those look great. Next batch I make, I'm going to put mealworms in the mix.  I also use extra bacon drippings that i keep in the fridge

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2021, 04:49 AM »
The birds demolished the cake I put out yesterday. The bluebird flock was all over it most of the day. But, my Bride was chasing the starlings away all day as well. It keeps her busy anyway.

Rg

wallyworld

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2021, 06:14 AM »
RG.....care to share the recipe ?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:53 AM »
This is the one I used.

I think if you let them sit for a week or so they harden up better. At least mine did. I’m going to try cooking the gelatin before adding it to the dry ingredients next time.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:05 PM »
I've used the same recipe and pressed it into a sprayed bundt pan. Let it harden and  wrapped a nice bow on it and given them out for Christmas gifts.

wallyworld

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2021, 05:40 AM »
Thanks RG

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2021, 07:36 AM »
Any time. Now I’m working on a bluebird feeder that the starlings can’t get into. We now have 6 that visit several times a day to eat and drink.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.