FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayaks  (Read 2122 times)

oldschoolben

Kayaks
« on: Apr 28, 2021, 06:52 AM »
Been looking at getting a fishing kayak, any suggestions on a brand? Been looking at the ones at Cabelas.  Not even sure if my back will take fishing out of one

claymore6

Re: Kayaks
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2021, 10:25 AM »
Your question is like asking if the wind is too strong for fishing.

What is your budget? How much do you weigh? Car top or trailer? What kind of water will you fish - Lake or moving? What kind of fish are you after. Trolling or sitting/drifting? Bad back probably means you want a "sit on" not a "sit in". Other than that I cant help much.

Go to a BIG kayak seller and ask a lot of questions. Try a few (the good kayak places do that) Find some local Kayak fishers and check out their set ups. They go from used 10 footers for about $100 all the way to $6000 for all the bells and whistles that turn them into tiny Bass Boats.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2021, 11:59 AM »
Try one out first. It may not be the cat's meow you think it is. Look into paddle free locomotion. It's worth it for fishing.

I think I'm going to sell my Hobie soon. At my age getting in and out is tricky and after a couple of hours my back is sore.  This after I put everything from a hummingbird transducer and helix 7, to an anchor, to a downrigger, to stabilizers, and built a wheel base carrier, and seat for it. The Helix 7 I was swapping between my boat and the kayak.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

oldschoolben

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2021, 10:31 PM »
I would like to try one out for sure

oldschoolben

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2021, 10:32 PM »
Good job on your upgrades

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.