MFF US Midwest > Indiana

trolling up stripers

(1/2) > >>

rivereddy:
The weather in central Indiana has just been strange lately.  5 days of downpour rains and yet the garden is still dry and the river is low.  I had
planned on making a run yesterday but we had thunder and sprinkles off and on all day.  It was hot and humid.  I bagged the boat, went over
to the river, caught a few dinks and called it a day. This morning it was 20 degrees cooler with patchy clouds.  The forecast said 5-7 mph from the NW.  Well, the passing cold front had other ideas and the lake greeted my with 10-15 mph north winds and whitecaps everywhere.  This forced me to change plans.  Instead of looking for "jumps" we trolled bomber spinner rigs like I described the other day.  Again our first hit came within the first 5 minutes.  My buddy tossed a marker over the side of the boat to mark the spot. It was plastic - and promptly sank! We did zero in on a hump and worked it over pretty good taking good sized stripers with every run.  Lots of doubles and heavy hits.  Sizes were mixed.  We caught a few dinks and he occasional crappie but the adult stripers/white bass were 14-15 " long, between one and two pounds.  Great day.

fish on,

rivereddy

taxid:
You mean wipers?

rivereddy:
These were "silvers" aka whites or sand bass - Marone chrysops.  I may be wrong, but i don't think
this resi gets hybrid or wiper stockings any more.  I'll poke around a bit and report back,

fish on,

rivereddy

taxid:
O.K. then they are not wipers or stripers. They are white bass.  ;)

rivereddy:
State record is 4lbs, 3 oz caught in 1965.  The big ones we caught were probably 2 # and less.
One of the concerns about stocking wipers or hybrids is that they have shown at least a small
degree of interfertility with white bass.  This presents itself as a rather slippery slope.  Larger
size potential must be weighed against possible loss of tolerance to high water temps.  The
record fish was caught in 1965, long before the state was stocking hybrids.

fish on,

rivereddy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version