FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Very sad news regarding brook trout!  (Read 3282 times)

slipbob

Very sad news regarding brook trout!
« on: Sep 10, 2004, 10:01 AM »
This was in our local paper today and is another example of how some scumbag or scumbags can really cause a problem.  It's so sad to think about but one person can really do damage.
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=283883&category=LEBRUNOUT&BCCode=&newsdate=9/10/2004

Somers

Re: Very sad news regarding brook trout!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2004, 10:33 AM »
That is sad.  Selfish a$$holes. 

Any word on what the DEC plans to do.  Can they poison the lake out and restock w/ the Tupper strains they have?  Not sure if this would be feasible based on the size of the lake and what else might be killed off ie. forage.

Hookset

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2004, 10:53 AM »
I have visited this area many times, that's too bad.  My in-laws live in Tupper Lake and I can tel you that many of the sportsmen I have met up there have a very selfish attitude toward nature.  Many view themselves as owners, rather than stewards, of nature.  I have been told on the third week of March, firsthand, about going to Black Pond(home of the native Winfall strain of Adirondack Trout) and taking trophies through the ice (which is illegal on Black altogether) to be used as garden fertilizer.  Yup, whole, trophy, native trout used as fertilizer.  I am not implying that every sportsmen from the area holds this unique perspective, but there is frequently an odd taste of ownership in conversation and demeanor.  A deed does not bestow upon you the right to intentionally degrade and destroy nature and its gifts.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2004, 11:08 AM »
wow, shows how much damage one person can really do.    If they were stocked in there I just dont get why some people would want to do that.   There are a thousand other lakes that they could go to catchbass, why ruin such a majestic fishery like the one that was up there.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

devil-man

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2004, 04:58 PM »
I was just up in that area 2 weekends ago, at Cranberry Lake.
Beautiful country and a great place to fish. Pike were introduced into that lake not too long ago, and I'm afraid the same fate may await the native trout there.
It's just not right!

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2004, 08:23 AM »
some more info on the heritage strains[from keller 1979]there was 11 native strains
in new york,balsam strain,dix strain,honnedaga strain,horn strain,LITTER TUPPER strain
nate strain,stink strain,tamarack strain,tunis strain,and two windfall strains
a lot of these "native" trout are being stocked in other lakes,what a job D.E.C. is doing
with this .here is a list of some of the lakes that the little tupper strain is being stocked
after the lake has been reclaimed.moutain pond,burge pond,gull pond,hoseshoe pond,
twin ponds,rock pond,little rock pond,jabe pond,13th lake,little jabe,bub pond,sis pond
streeter pond,n,s,twin lakes,evergreen lake,peaked mtn pond,hidden lake,
this strain may not take in every pond, also note that warren hatchery is not the only
hatchery working with these trout.
the rat 
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

adkman

• May you always have tight lines.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2005, 08:47 AM »
some more info on the heritage strains[from keller 1979]there was 11 native strains
in new York,balsam strain,Dix strain,Honda strain,horn strain,LITTER TUPPER strain
nate strain,stink strain,tamarack strain,tunis strain,and two windfall strains
a lot of these "native" trout are being stocked in other lakes,what a job D.E.C. is doing
with this .here is a list of some of the lakes that the little tupper strain is being stocked
after the lake has been reclaimed.moutain pond,burge pond,gull pond,hoseshoe pond,
twin ponds,rock pond,little rock pond,jabe pond,13th lake,little jabe,bub pond,sis pond
streeter pond,n,s,twin lakes,evergreen lake,peaked mtn pond,hidden lake,
this strain may not take in every pond, also note that warren hatchery is not the only
hatchery working with these trout.
the rat 
Being new to this group I have found lots of great post and commend you on your efforts.  The comment I have for this post is anyone who contaminates a lake with outside fish needs to be delt with accordingly.  However some of these ponds and Lakes mentioned are the breed of the DEC.  For example Horseshoe Lake was stocked by the DEC with Tiger Muskies, and as for them stocking Gull Pond I would truly like to know how get this information, because Gull Pond (town of Tupper Lake/Piercefield) is totally private property with no public access.  State law requires access to any water stocked by state funds.

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2005, 08:34 AM »
ADKMAN
how many ponds do you know in NEW YORK that have the name gull pond.
my books show 3 and i think there may be more. and the same is true of horseshoe pond
this is the reason D.E.C  NUMBERS ponds and lakes with the same name
the ponds that you are talking about[I THINK] are by you.and if this is true
then they are not the ones that i named  -THINK if it doesnot sound or look
right then changes are good its not
the rat ;D ;D ;D
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.