FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Yak Fishing!  (Read 7592 times)

WMUAngler

Yak Fishing!
« on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:56 AM »
Last year was my first season of Kayak fishing and I'm hooked.  I'd love to see some other people's set ups, as mine is fairly simple for calm inland lakes. Anyway, this was the first fish that I caught from my Islander Wilderness Angler series Kayak.

gonephishin

• I can catch fish in a mud puddle
Re: Yak Fishing!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Nice little bass.  Ive never kayak fished but it looks awesome.
Here fishy fishy fishy

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2008, 01:50 PM »
I like kayack fishing but my problem is I like trolling and its harder to paddle and let line out at the same time but if I am throwing for bass or perch or throwing a line while following a brook or river down for brookies ect then I use it

WMUAngler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Trolling is a little tricky, but I love trolling for pike in the kayak.  I usually just cast as far back as I can,  place the rod in the behind-the-seat rod holders, and start paddling.  Once I get some momentum, I can set the paddle down to let out line as needed.  I always keep the paddle on a leash as well, so if I need to do a quick hook set, I don't have to worry about the paddle.  I'm sure with enough practice, trolling will be pretty easy and successful.

Litchfield Fisher

• maine brookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2008, 02:19 PM »
yah but know I have a trolling motor for the cannoe as well so its pretty easy to fish with that and I do not like the behind the seat holdersbecasue if I get any faster momentum going my rods have come out before so now I tie them in so I dont loose them  ;D

bucketmouth

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:15 PM »
It's certainly gaining in popularity by leaps and bounds everywhere.  I bought a couple 'yaks last season and have been steadily rigging them just the way I like.  I use Scotty holders on a custom dashboard with a Humminbird FF right now, but will be upgrading to an aluminum accessory bar this season to get my holder, GPS, and FF up and out of right in front of me.

Here's some pics of last season...

My buddy Zog showed me his secret spot, here he is with a dandy bass.

He caught a few that day LOL

And another

Another month 'til softwater crappie fishin' in the yaks I figure  ;)

Don

bucketmouth

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Here's another buddy of mine's pimped out nicely... he has great attention to detail and likes to have everything but the kitchen sink with him.  This is a tandem yak he outfitted for solo fishing.  It's a Pamlico 135T.

Bartman44

« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Here's another buddy of mine's pimped out nicely... he has great attention to detail and likes to have everything but the kitchen sink with him.  This is a tandem yak he outfitted for solo fishing.  It's a Pamlico 135T.

Wow, that kayak could be in the next James Bond movie.

WMUAngler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2008, 12:16 PM »
That is an impressive set up.  What do you target from it?  I can't wait to get mine a little more decked out.  I'm already tempted to upgrade to one of those Ocean Kayak Prowler Tridents though.  They look like their set up for easy additions. 

bucketmouth

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:16 AM »
That is an impressive set up.  What do you target from it?  I can't wait to get mine a little more decked out.  I'm already tempted to upgrade to one of those Ocean Kayak Prowler Tridents though.  They look like their set up for easy additions. 

To be completely honest with ya, 90% of my yakfishing time is devoted to hunting largies (and the occasional smallies).  I also target crappies and the odd time I'll jig for walleye or troll for pike but if the action is slow I bore easily and go back to bass  :-[

My buddy who owns the red yak above fishes for most every inland warmwater species... muskie, bass, pike, eyes, pannies, cats, etc.

On my list this year are salmon and steelhead on the Great Lakes... I'll report back if I pull it off  ;)

D.

panfishman13

• it's what i do!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2008, 12:09 PM »
sounds awesome! are kayaks like that cheaper than a pontoon boat? i'm tryin' to find something smaller than a canoe but sturdier than the inflatable rafts we have right now. i'm thinking about a pontoon boat but that's just my idea, and yes i have tried float tubes, the problem is they don't have any room. any suggestions?

WMUAngler

« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2008, 01:07 PM »
The kayak that I have is for sale at Dick's Sporting Goods for $400 right now.  I would take it over one of the inflatable pontoons anyday.  I'd love to get one of the Ocean Kayak Prowler Tridents, but that costs over a grand.

WMUAngler

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2008, 01:08 PM »
To be completely honest with ya, 90% of my yakfishing time is devoted to hunting largies (and the occasional smallies).  I also target crappies and the odd time I'll jig for walleye or troll for pike but if the action is slow I bore easily and go back to bass  :-[

My buddy who owns the red yak above fishes for most every inland warmwater species... muskie, bass, pike, eyes, pannies, cats, etc.

On my list this year are salmon and steelhead on the Great Lakes... I'll report back if I pull it off  ;)

D.

Definitely keep me posted as to how the Big Lake goes.  I'm going to wait until I can upgrade my kayak before I try that out.  That would be amazing to fight a 20lb salmon on the open water though.  Good Luck!

gonephishin

• I can catch fish in a mud puddle
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2008, 01:38 PM »
That kayaks a little crazy.... Hope he never flips it :o
Here fishy fishy fishy

JCaughtem

• Warning....These fish bite!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2008, 10:32 AM »
That kayaks a little crazy.... Hope he never flips it :o
How bout its an awsome set up if it doesnt.Nice guys.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.