FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maxi today...  (Read 1156 times)

LundProv

Maxi today...
« on: Aug 31, 2022, 05:40 PM »
I wanted to fish somewhere today other than my backyard and headed to maxi.  Launched at about 7 AM Max time/6 AM Valpo time and headed across the lake to the right of the Academy.  I was just slowly moving along and notice a feeding freenzy on top with bass going nuts chasing minnows.  Even though this wasn't my target, I stopped and casted some expensive crank baits my son gave me -- Lucky Craft Pointers or something and caught a couple nice 15" fish but saw lots and lots jumping and slashing around.  I even had an average smalley.  I then picked up a blade bade and launched it out and ripped it back in a pumping style and caught two average (8") perch.  Surprise surprise...  Once this calmed down, I proceded to troll twister tails and caught nothing.  I went down there wanting to try bottom bouncers/crawler harnesses and I did but I am really not that good of a fisherman and found it to be very difficult to stay in a consistent depth.  So, the bottom bounder technique didn't produce and I gave that an hour.  Finally, I hit spot lock upwind from one of the humps, I think, would be considered the northeast side of the lake -- kinda near the academy but closer to the point and I was spot locked in 16' of water with the wind coming from the northwest.  I put out a slip bobber a foot off the bottom/worm and a perch rig with bee moth as I had no minnows.  I cut up a crawler and simply put a small chunk on a 1/16th oz jig and threw it with the wind up on the shallow hump.  I slowly cranked it back and the fun was about to begin.  13 bluegills (average), 4 perch (average), 3 smallies (average) one large mouth and a 17" walleye later, it was time to go.  It just makes me smile that with all the weapons on my boat -- crawler harnesses, expensive cranks, electronics...  Simply setting up wind on a hump and casting a jig/crawler chunk back to the hump was just fun and productive.  Kinda warm on the water but a great breeze made it very tolerable.  Took some nice pics of my fish and released everything today as I had some business to take care of in Judson and didn't want the fish to poach in the live well.  This was just a fun day and that was just the first half... Can't wait to see what the second half has to offer after a nap...

wallin

Re: Maxi today...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2022, 07:17 PM »
Sounds like a great day.
Glad you got out.
Wallin

BBLoon

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2022, 08:17 PM »
Great read again. Nice job on the water!!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2022, 07:20 AM »
Sounds like a great day! I have a tackle box full of vintage baits that I bought in the 60's. I made my first trip to Norfolk Lake in AR and prior to leaving went to Mitchell's Sports in Hobart and bought 2 of every bait I wanted. River Runts, Bomber  Baits, Jitter Bugs, Lucky 13's, Heddon Wiggle Baits,  Tiny Torpedo, etc, I still throw them today and guess what, catch just as many bass on them as I do all the modern day baits. The last baits I've bought were Hot nTots and spinner baits and a few plastic worms. Have so many and refuse to put out $6 -$10 for new ones. Guess I'm showing my age!!!! ::)
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2022, 07:50 AM »
Good read.  I am finding myself taking less and less stuff days.

fish on,

rivereddy 

Daybreak

« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2022, 09:19 AM »
Sounds like you enjoyed your day.  Good job.  Thanks for the report.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.