FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread  (Read 343287 times)

Mac Attack

Re: NY Fisherman Hunting and BS'n Thread
« Reply #2760 on: Jul 25, 2023, 12:06 PM »
But those are food plot seeds...?

Planting seeds in the ground is not baiting and is perfectly legal, which is why i was confused at what the picture was supposed to be pointing out.

Seed =\= feed.

Understood.
And food plots are NOT illegal in NY.

A hunter going out and creating a food plot for deer and then hunting in that area isn't really "bait and shoot" I don't believe.
However, tossing out a few bushels of apples or setting up a few salt licks and shooting the deer that show up, is illegal.
I personally think that it's splitting hairs, and both are "technically" baiting, but it only matters what a DEC agent decides.

I think that if a guy wants to go out into the woods and prepare the ground and create a food plot, watering it, taking care of it, etc. that is fine.
The guy is doing tons of work to create a "localized" habitat conducive to where deer like to live.
He put the effort in - he should be rewarded, to some extent.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2761 on: Jul 25, 2023, 12:15 PM »
One Spring the GF and I were perch fishing with minnows on Fair Haven Bay.  We were doing pretty well on the perch.  I caught a couple smallish pike and a bass in a row.  She put her pole down and made me move the boat.  I think if you were casting big spoons or something like that a CO would have a good argument for writing a ticket but we were legitimately perch fishing.

Many years ago (like 40) I was throwing a huge spinner bait in a local creek for pike.
It was spring and they were not in season.
I was catching quite a few and returning them safely.
I did this for days, knowing that I was actually catching the same pike numerous times.
The local CO showed up.  (I knew him)
He asked what I was fishing for, watching me throw this HUGE spinner bait.

I told him "bullhead".

Just then a nice pike hit, and I reeled it in and properly released it in front of the CO, cursing how these PITA pike are getting in the way to me catching bullhead.
He just laughed and as he was leaving warned me that every PITA pike I caught better be released.
I said, "of course".

The point is that there are people who will target fish to keep illegally.
And there are people who simply want to have some fun and catch some fish - but not keep or hurt them.
A decent CO will/should analyze the situation and decide whether to issue a ticket, a warning, or otherwise.
The laws are written to try and cover all situations so that they take care of the bad stuff.
Then it's up the CO's to decide how to enforce the laws.  Not us.

iceman260

« Reply #2762 on: Jul 25, 2023, 01:53 PM »
A few bushel of apples under a pine tree, could be pineapples.

filetandrelease

« Reply #2763 on: Jul 25, 2023, 04:14 PM »
A few bushel of apples under a pine tree, could be pineapples.
Absolutely 👍

cnyiceguy

« Reply #2764 on: Jul 25, 2023, 04:15 PM »
I'm going out on a limb here and figuring the DEC decided that even if the gobies eat the eggs that it won't damage the bass eco structure.
Ohio thinks otherwise on Lake Erie, they put a season on the smallmouth a couple years ago. The problem isn't guys arbitrarily catching bass, its guys targeting bass on the beds, especially tournament guys. With live scope and the Megaphone tubes they look in the water with, the bass don't have a chance. It will eventually have an effect. The guy that caught a 30lb bag during a tournament on Cayuga last year admitted they were all bedding fish. Wheres the sport in that? Catch them when there already stressed, haul them around in a livewell all day, and release them miles from their nest. Those eggs/fry don't have a prayer.

62 & Done

« Reply #2765 on: Jul 25, 2023, 08:40 PM »
Personally, I believe that when a person deliberately drops an out of season fish into his live well with the sole purpose being to transport that fish, he should be liable for a ticket and fine for taking and possessing protected wildlife. It should make no difference whether or not he intends to release said fish after weigh in. These tournaments are just plain CRAP. Also, the organization promoting this activity should be held equally responsible.

greensider

« Reply #2766 on: Jul 26, 2023, 06:48 PM »
Completely agree 62 I like the major league fishing rules camera in boat weight person in boat fish released on the spot after handling carefully never liked the standard bass tournament keeping fish in water box to release and probably die later after being bounced around in that box all day

reeleyz

« Reply #2767 on: Jul 27, 2023, 02:26 PM »
I remember seeing a post on another site a few years back showing a camera on a Smallmouth bed on Lake Ontario. They caught the smallmouth and immediately released it and it showed how long it took the bass to return. It was long enough for the gobies to start hammering the bed. Those preseason Cayuga bass were caught multiple times. Guys had GPS coords of where the beds were. Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

reeleyz

« Reply #2768 on: Jul 27, 2023, 02:37 PM »
This is a different video but the same idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzv3tEAbMgM

KingPerch

« Reply #2769 on: Jul 27, 2023, 03:25 PM »
As some of you know…My son and I are bass fishing fanatics, but, absolutely refuse to fish for bass on beds. Not long after ice out, we’ll toss chatter baits,  jerk baits, and crank baits in hopes of catching a bass. If we do, we do. But, the thought of a tournament, for a big payday, fishing for bass on beds to win???? No sport in that at all.  Directors, anglers and sponsors of those tournaments should be nut punched. Most of the anglers who do it, do it for the glory shot from their phone to post in the heroes page on social media. No heroes in my book. I actually love bass fishing when the dog days of summer set in, jump in the boat with my son and go crack 5 big ones that we actually had to grind for 8 hours to catch. Most of the heroes want the info on how to catch them. Go earn em, we do!! I do believe more patrolling of ECO’s will help stop some of the heroes from targeting the bass on beds up north from us. I haven’t quite figured out why snagging dying salmon tickets are more important than heroes targeting bed fish or people keeping over limits of fish tickets…..🤦🏻 easier to walk on land and write tickets, I guess!!! Carry on boys!!!😎
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2770 on: Jul 27, 2023, 04:16 PM »
Back on track don’t forget DMP’s are available on the 1st. 
 I’m hunting with a paintball gun from now on.  And salmon fishing without a hook on my line..I wouldn’t want to kill something during breading season cus that’s the kind of guy I am..    8) 8) ::) ::)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

cnyiceguy

« Reply #2771 on: Jul 27, 2023, 05:42 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, targeting bass on beds is about as smart as a spring doe season. Maybe that'll be the DECs next move to curb the deer population!

reeleyz

« Reply #2772 on: Jul 27, 2023, 07:33 PM »
Back on track don’t forget DMP’s are available on the 1st. 
 I’m hunting with a paintball gun from now on.  And salmon fishing without a hook on my line..I wouldn’t want to kill something during breading season cus that’s the kind of guy I am..    8) 8) ::) ::)
;D

I finally got my lifetime tags in the mail.

gotagetm

« Reply #2773 on: Jul 28, 2023, 03:22 AM »
I'll. Be first in line Tuesday for my licence and doe tags...it's like a tradition for me ....can't believe it's almost August already!

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #2774 on: Jul 28, 2023, 05:15 AM »
I'm going to get my license on the first too. I'm an old fart. I'm going to get my first $5.00 license this year. My 55th season is coming this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.