FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 565799 times)

perch-hound

Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #1965 on: May 16, 2013, 09:45 AM »
they range from 2 weight to 12 weight, 12 being the heaviest.
A 5wt is fine for smallies, and gils. Your line should be matched to the rod, ie: a 5 wt rod should run a 5wt line, (+ or -) a line wt.
Some rods are stiff, some are soft for their respective weight rating, hence the (+ or -)  a line wt.

You should feel the rod load up on the back/fore cast. Too light a line and it will feel like a broom stick with a piece of kite string,
to heavy a line will max load the rod at the very beginning of the back/fore cast. It should begin to max out toward the end of each power stoke.
No expert like some, but seems to be what I find.

black55

« Reply #1966 on: May 16, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Thanks for the info , what fish would you be fishing for with a 2 or 3 wt rod? i used my 5 wt for cutthrout and rainbow  and whitefish when i lived in CO ,Utah.
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

oatkasut

« Reply #1967 on: May 16, 2013, 02:01 PM »
I use my 3 wt. for stream trout from small streams (like oatka, Eastcoy ,Wiscoy and Clear Creek in Arcade) to bigger rivers like the Delaware system and the Genesee.It is a real challenge if trout get over 20 inches but fun nonetheless. The 5 WT. is also used under the same circumstance. After starting and fishing the 5 wt. for 10 years plus I decided to go smaller to the 3Wt. and seldom go back.

joshjj2010

« Reply #1968 on: May 16, 2013, 02:12 PM »
A 2 -3 weight is generally used for panfish and stream fishing. I've always used a 5_6 weight for overall fishing. Browns bows stellies etc. My general thought is the weight of the rod should fit the size of the fish you are targeting and the body of water you are fishing. I like light tackle fishing so I use the 6 weight for carp and salmon.  And other guys would use a 9 weight.That's how I prefer to fish. But it dnt hurt to have an extra set up

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1969 on: May 16, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Here's my advice;
The quality of the rod coupled with a properly matched line will trump rod weight every time. I have a pretty good collection of fly rods. In smaller streams say 40 yards wide, I use my 3wt for everything from gills to carp. Bigger streams, rivers or the lake, I'll grab a 5wt. 95% of the time I use one of these 2 rod weights.

I have a bunch of others that I use, but that's just my obsession.

If you're looking for a good 3wt, I highly recommend  Temple Fork Outfitters Finesse. I love mine. You don't have to sell your children into slavery to buy one either.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #1970 on: May 16, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Thanks josh and rg and the rest of you guys i've learned more about flyfishing in the last week then i've taugh myself in 45 yrs!  My back is responding to theapy so i am hopefull i will be fishing soon.

joshjj2010

« Reply #1971 on: May 16, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Anything to help out a fellow fisherman. I know I had some trouble when I first started fly fishing. As well as many questions. Its confuseing at first but you'll get the hang of it. Now if only I could teach my girl friend how to fly fish. Lol. Hey if u get serious into fly fishing check out the hardy rods and reels. They're pricey but worth it. Lifetime warrenty. There's a straight dealer in camilus who told me about them. Good luck

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1972 on: May 17, 2013, 01:30 AM »
Hope you heal up and get on the water. Nothing will teach you more about fly fishing than doing it ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

black55

« Reply #1973 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Ok time for more rookie ? attaching leader to fly line ,i use to use the little barbed things that you pushed into your flyline ,but the last few times (If i remember right) i couldn't get the dam thing to go in. Any idea about knots or any other deviece that i can use to attact the lines. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE THAT YOU'VE GIVEN ME SO FAR !

KingPerch

« Reply #1974 on: May 17, 2013, 05:17 PM »
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1975 on: May 17, 2013, 05:41 PM »
A nail knot will work just fine. If you want to smooth it out get some Loon UV Knot Sense. Just a dab and hit it with the UV light and you'll have a nice smooth knot.

I use Cortland lines for the most part. They do not have welded loops so I create my own. I form a small loop and whip finish it in place with Kevlar thread. Then I coat it with Loon UV Head Cement. Works great for attaching my furled leaders.

RG

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1976 on: May 17, 2013, 10:22 PM »
I was taught, and always have, "nail knotted" my way down my leader to my final tippet size. I've seen pics of your furled leaders, RG, and I think they're really cool. After reading this, I understand more that you attach them to your fly line loop to loop. I have to wonder, and ask, doesn't the whip finished loop in the fly line make a heavier splash point and interrupt the "roll" to the fly? Maybe I'm an idiot, IDK, but I could see a more perfect presentation if the furled leader were nail knotted to the fly line.....just an 'ol dog trying to learn. Thanks...
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1977 on: May 18, 2013, 05:18 AM »
The loop is small and is virtually seamless using the furled leaders. The taper of the Furled leader can be matched to the fly line and, in my opinion, far surpasses either tied or full tapered mono leaders in performance. Matching a floating or sinking furled butt section to the fly line is kind of like having a fly line that tapers all the way to the tippet. I spent countless hours creating hand tied leaders over the years. I'll never do that again.

Order up a couple. They're available on line. Better yet, make your own. It's not terribly difficult. Once you're set up, you can make a lifetime's worth in a few sessions. The options are limitless. Best of all, they work :thumbup_smilie:.

I can do a thread on making them if y'all would like it. I need to make a few anyway.

RG

black55

« Reply #1978 on: May 18, 2013, 11:27 PM »
Ok , living in IN the no trout state(Except for one week a year ) i would like to know what a furled leader is ? Heck even out west i just used a piece of 4 lb test just a bit shorter then my rod with floating fly line and as the streams i was fishing  were shallow (1ft to 4 ft ) i used wet flys and caught bow's and cutthrouts dayly ,enough to feed  my boss and myself lunch .The rainbows were in the 15 to 20 in range , the cut's were in the 12 to 14 inch size. I now have to believe it was a unbelieveable streak of beginners luck !! Stil it is some thing i will always remember from my past and driving me to flyfish again !

black55

« Reply #1979 on: May 19, 2013, 12:20 AM »
O ya thanks KP for the link that did help alot. As a new member of the old farts club i have ? LOL do i get stuck on 68 posts forever? i've  been on that number for atleast 7 posts ! I was just wondering LOL OR is it because i'm am a old fart.    Ok now they have changed to 69 lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.