FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 565210 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3870 on: Jun 21, 2023, 03:29 AM »
Mostly I find surface stuff works best at first light this time of year. Fish will go shallow at night to feed. As that bright sunshine comes up they seem to go deep or head for shaded  cover.  For gills I usually do better with sub surface flies.

You don’t “have” to tie flies…..but you will……eventually.

Time to go make the grass shorter at the golf course. Love working there in the early morning. It’s a beautiful place.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3871 on: Jun 21, 2023, 06:48 AM »
Now that summer is here don't forget those hungry trout love, ants, red and black, grasshoppers, beetles, and bumble bees. Have caught trout on them all with the bumble bee being the most shocking in that it worked! :o :o

Its big mouse time and thats my favorite. 

ECobb91

« Reply #3872 on: Jun 21, 2023, 07:21 AM »
Always thought about throwing big mice flies in the evening/night. But I usually shy away from the trout streams from July to mid September just to avoid stressing the fish out when the waters hot and low.

oatkasut

« Reply #3873 on: Jun 21, 2023, 12:18 PM »
Great idea not to fish warm water for trout; anything above 70 deg. is not healthy for trout; even a quick release can be fatal. Today the water was 60 deg. and got 9 on olive wood duck winged  caddis, p-black gnat and p-Adams sizes 16-18 10 ft. 6X leader fishing shady, moving water. Saw a few sulfurs  and very few rsing fish today starting at 6AM. I don't tie, too busy fishing! :laugh: :laugh:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3874 on: Jun 21, 2023, 01:16 PM »
Plenty of time to tie spring and fall. And, almost less expensive.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3875 on: Jun 21, 2023, 01:29 PM »
Great idea not to fish warm water for trout; anything above 70 deg. is not healthy for trout; even a quick release can be fatal. Today the water was 60 deg. and got 9 on olive wood duck winged  caddis, p-black gnat and p-Adams sizes 16-18 10 ft. 6X leader fishing shady, moving water. Saw a few sulfurs  and very few rsing fish today starting at 6AM. I don't tie, too busy fishing! :laugh: :laugh:

Every release can be fatal if we are being honest. I fish a bottom release tailwater so I hope no one calls PETA on me...that water is cold.  Also its unlikely anyone will see a 70 degree temp at night on any of the rivers I mouse.  That temp is lethal to bows and top of the range for browns so someone catching and releasing them would be the least of anyones concerns.

62 & Done

« Reply #3876 on: Jun 22, 2023, 04:06 PM »
Saw the skunk today    I finally had the day to wish for - Nice and calm almost dead this morning and a slight variable breeze after 10 am Not much traffic - I should have caught fish. I think.   I tried floaters, sinkers, and every thing in between - all colors - even switched lines from floating to sinking and then back again. Got one big gill to inhale a green foam floater from the vise of trapper and that was it.
  I wanted a fish dinner so I switched to the jigs and limited in 2 hrs.  They're there, they will eat , I just can't seem to make it work.  Grrrrr
      And the rubber bands worked again today    go figure
      Also got a 34" pike trolling  going to try to fillet this thing

62 & Done

« Reply #3877 on: Jun 29, 2023, 04:05 PM »
Got a few today   Started at dawn with the surface stuff and only got one small one  They didn't want to come up. I moved about and found a few in 8 fow so I put on my sinking line  found them to be very sluggish and stubborn. Had to fish very slow to get some bites but ended up getting 8 keepers out of about 15? Also had two fish bite me off which ended the run on a very good fly. It was getting beat-up as I had been using it since I started in the spring. d**n

The three that worked today

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3878 on: Jun 29, 2023, 04:08 PM »
That middle one ( I call the martini) is a killer.

Glad, you had fun.

62 & Done

« Reply #3879 on: Jun 29, 2023, 04:13 PM »
They liked it. I think some of the bigger ones came on it

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3880 on: Jun 30, 2023, 12:16 PM »
Stupid simple pattern that just works.

You need a vise and some materials.

62 & Done

« Reply #3881 on: Jul 03, 2023, 03:10 PM »
    Took a look at tools and materials on fly shack site.  This can get out of control !  Might make a fun winter project though

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3882 on: Jul 03, 2023, 03:57 PM »
We’ll help you along.

Seriously, it’s part of the journey.

62 & Done

« Reply #3883 on: Jul 03, 2023, 06:02 PM »
I'll be looking for advise that's for sure    Hope you don't get sick of me

62 & Done

« Reply #3884 on: Jul 03, 2023, 06:12 PM »
Hey Taxid have we heard about your trip west?  did I miss it?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.