FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: East Branch Deleware Baldies!!  (Read 3563 times)

slipbob

East Branch Deleware Baldies!!
« on: Apr 08, 2004, 08:46 AM »
Has anybody ever driven down from Downsville in the winter time along the east branch of the Deleware and seen the wintering bald eagles.  Quite a sight.  Most everytime I have ever taken that route you have a great chance at spotting one.  It's a remote area with open moving water that they love.  I have also spotted them around any of the more remote reservoirs in the western Catskills such as Cannonsville or Pepacton.

Doover

Re: East Branch Deleware Baldies!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:28 AM »
Slipbob, I had  one just over my head while fishing my own pond, saw his shadow first. I fish the Pepacton and always see them, but I have never seen one that far up the hill. I live in Andes, we have serveral mating pairs. A great sight!!!

Cider

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:33 AM »
Well you know I have Slipbob!  I used to love seeing them at the cannonsville as they would wade the shoreline or soar overhead.  Used to see them all the time up on Bear Spring Mtn. too.  My buddy and I used to fish the cannonsville at night for bullhead.  We would stay out until sunrise.  It was an awesome thing when that sun started to peek over the ridge across from us.  The eagles would be up at about the same time soaring overhead and you could here their sreech.  The fog was lifting off the water and the air temp was crisp.  The water smooth as glass!  What an awesome time!

My parents tell me that there are some regulars that are nesting in Walton the past few years.

Somers

« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:54 AM »
Yeah I've seen them there too traveling back and forth from school a few years ago on 206.

We have them down on the southern reses too.  And there a number of birds that winter here near the Hudson River.  They have open water and fish and the Metro North RR w/ all the deer and other carrion an eagle could ask for to help them through the winter.

Awsome animals.

Cider

« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:05 AM »
Somers, remind me again.  Where are you from??  What school were you going to via Rt 206?

Somers

« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:23 AM »
I went to Oneonta.  I think it was 206 lol.

Exit 94 or 92 off of Rt. 17 at Roscoe and then up into the hills.  I used to go thru Walton and drive around Pepacton and Bear Spring Mtn.  through Downsville.  I can;t remember all the other little roads.

Sometimes I'd head right at Pepacton and go thru Delhi too.

You guys know the area now I'm sure.  Sorry for any confusion.

Cider

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:33 AM »
I went to Oneonta.

SUCO?  or Hartwick?  I did a semester at SUCO and didn't really like it.  I had a few friends that went there full time.

Somers

« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2004, 11:55 AM »
SUCO.  Definitely not Hartwick.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2004, 07:05 PM »
I have a cabin on the river a few miles below Hancock and we see eagles all the time. It still exciting each time though. We were down there this past winter and had one land in a tree about 10 ft from the cabin...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2004, 08:01 PM »
DC,

You must be right by the islands. I've floated the east, west and mainstem and I usually see them about every trip.

Up where I live I see them all the time too, on the upper Hudson above Albany.

They've made quite a comeback and they're enjoyable to watch.

Bart   

Dark Cloud

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2004, 10:16 PM »
Bartman - No, but not far down river from there. Our place is the first one on the right after you go under the Lordville bridge. Before the tornado two years ago you couldnt see the place from the river or road. We lost a ton of trees on the property and now the place is wide open. Kinda nice being able to see the river and eagles now without the trees but the trees gave us alot privacy too....
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

missfishylicious

• smile it makes them wonder what your up to
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2004, 08:43 AM »
there was a bald eagle at the rome fish hatchery a few weeks ago.I've seen one at raquett lake and one at redfield resevoir.theres a nest some were down in the cstskills but I can't recall now just were it is.
I have no opinion on the subject .....yeah right

fishin_musician

• Stupid's the New Awesome
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2004, 10:16 PM »
I saw 5 in one scene about 12 years ago up by Poxono Island. See them every year on the Susquehanna too
Life is Good on the Susky!
Date Registered:   Mar 04, 2004

depthchargedriller

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2004, 05:58 PM »
well i havent had the chance to see any of them yet. i know that there are some nests down there but really havent seen any of the brids.

depthcharge

Timster

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2004, 08:40 PM »
Hey folks;
 The Eagles are making a big come back;
Down here in Sullivan County we have them in the Bashikill,Hunting Lake,Swinging Bridge Res.
They are a beatiful bird to watch :) We were fishing on the Basherkill on the ice and a Bald Eagle
did come and took 2 of our fish off the ice; ??? ???Got to love it ;D FISH ON 8)
To bad fishing doesn't pay the BILLS!!
God Bless Our Troops/One Of Them Is Mine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.