FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: fly reel vs. center pin  (Read 26085 times)

fishgalore

Re: fly reel vs. center pin
« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:38 PM »
I can bank a fish and release him in half the time than using a net.  And cause way less stress.

Amen......ever see a Salmon run in shallow water or across a street?? LOL .....October 1, 2010 comes to mind but watch Nat. Geo on TV and in Alaska they do it all the time. There they are trying to get away from bears not fisherman. Talk about stress.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Please explain how it's easier to land a fish with a flyrod as opposed to a CP or for that matter a spinning rod. Is it because you have to fish closer since you can't get a fly out farther away from you?

I saw a guy in mid october with a fly rod go down stream with a couple steelies on in Altmar and his line was more than 80 ft. out while he was walking downstream (not even announcing fish on) with his line preventing others from continuing to fish. He landed neither fish.

Concerning how much stress a fish can or should take with or without a net I'd like to know how that is measured? Moreover, is there a standard time in which a fish should be landed or the fish police will come? (Just a bit of sarcasm but not trying to offend you). IMO let each one determine what they need to do to land and keep or c & r. There are levels of skill or lack thereof on the river. Not everyone has the experience and know how as some of the premier guys who are just leaps and bounds better at this than others. Those guys ought to be patient mentors to the goons that lack skill not like lions waiting in the shadows to pounce on them. I beached a nice steelie on Sunday morning without a net and put it on the stringer with the one my brother beached. Both fish were fine later when we left, that is, they were swimming around on their leash and seemed to be strong enough to survive if we chose to release them. We kept them and they were delicious.

There are not many fisherman on this site that lack etiquette or try to antagonize others (except maybe in jest because they know each other) and that's one thing that makes this site enjoyable. Lets try to maintain the utmost respect and civility while making our points. The forum is a much better place like that.

Homeys try to keep it civil but when a homey is targeted watch out!!!

Well Said Fishgalore
          Funny how many times I enter the River without as much as a hello or good afternoon by other Flyfishermen , but 90% of the spinning guys ( some people call them Goons)  who are usually fairly green to the sport always say hello and are polite while fishing. Fly fishermen not so much , I'm not sterotyping but this war between pinners and fly guys is for real , I just laugh to myself and go about fishing. I feel like I'm at an elementary school playground sometimes.. I will always do my best to help a lost angler , remember you pro flyfishermen were new once too..;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishgalore

« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:57 PM »
      Well Said Fishgalore
          Funny how many times I enter the River without as much as a hello or good afternoon by other Flyfishermen , but 90% of the spinning guys ( some people call them Goons)  who are usually fairly green to the sport always say hello and are polite while fishing. Fly fishermen not so much , I'm not sterotyping but this war between pinners and fly guys is for real , I just laugh to myself and go about fishing. I feel like I'm at an elementary school playground sometimes.. I will always do my best to help a lost angler , remember you pro flyfishermen were new once too..;D

Very well stated!!!! I think the same way. I try to be courteous and friendly unless someone is outright rude. I'll have to pay attention since I'm just a beginner flyfisher, floatfisher and bottom bouncer. Boy, I'm really screwed up. I just like fishing, period. I also keep few secrets, unless asked to do so. I'd give away all my knowledge, which isn't much, if and when I can. I've still got lots to learn too!!

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2010, 05:58 PM »
They're the best Snagger!!!! they never needed help..
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

fishingjason

« Reply #34 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Today I fished an Ontario trib with esox v. Great fun.
I used both a fly rod and a center pin fishing switching back and forth. Both caught fish.
Occasionally while pinning I run across anglers who appear displeased that I am pinning. Rarely does this happen when I am fly fishing.
I can't understand why anybody could care how someone is fishing as long as it doesn't interfere with other anglers.
Regardless of what setup you are making, your "100 foot drag free drift", it may cause unnecessary stress on the fish.
You can bottom bounce, swing flies and indicator fish with either setup if need be.
They both catch tree branches the same.
Fish on to all.  

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #35 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:24 PM »
I own a CP and a fly rod too!!    ;D  Can't really stero-type by the fishing method.  They all catch fish!  Some more than others.   Certain methods are better at certain times/situations.   8)

draketrutta

« Reply #36 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I beached a nice steelie on Sunday morning without a net and put it on the stringer with the one my brother beached. Both fish were fine later when we left, that is, they were swimming around on their leash and seemed to be strong enough to survive if we chose to release them. We kept them and they were delicious.

Congrats on the fish.

I'm not trying to pass judgement - I'm trying to help you out and possibly save you a fine...

You can only keep one daily limit of a species on a stringer.

Two steelies betwen two guys requires two stringers.

<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

steelie24

• Hooked since first steel - 1965
« Reply #37 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:32 PM »
New twist...I like my spinning reel better for float fishing than the CP. (have Islander just sitting in truck)...about 3 yrs ago I got the CP setup (used) and fished most the Fall with it.  I found it really didn't help me catch any more fish than the spinning reel setup, although I really liked the 13 foot St Croix rod I was using, so I put the spinning reel on it.  Now I really know the CP technique (it does allow the line to flow better) has helped a lot of people catch a lot more fish and that's a good thing (sort of, many more fishing).  It's really a good thing though that so many people now can enjoy the fight of steelie's.  I probably ran into simplecrappieguy a bunch of times at Oswego, he fishes one of my favorite spots, I was there the last 3 yrs nearly 4 times a week, although I usually did all my fishing from 9-3pm.  Now I'm stuck working in South Carolina and really missing the fishing.  I grew up in Mich. and started fishing steel seriously in the mid 60's.  I was one of the lucky 10% that caught 90% of the fish, had some really good teachers (guides) on bottom bouncing and float fishing when I was young.  The best thing I've found when I moved to NY in 2000 (after 24 yrs in Mil). That the Lake Ontario trib fishing was some of the best I've found.  As far as landing fish, I don't like to use the net any more than I have too, some places though you really have to use one...Anyway a little different thought. 

(I got fustrated: :cursing: one windy day with the CP and it's been parked since).

adam2000

• theres beer down here we cant forget
« Reply #38 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:54 PM »
OK my Soap box time...
My take on (flyfishing) for steelies and Brown in the Oswego and Salmon River VS a Float.. Well 80% of the time your flossing them the other 20% they hit.. On a float 50% they hit the other 50% they hit harder! I feel the when you have a great drift and  with the right precession the fish will take. match your hatch!! Case in point.. I was fishing last year in Oswego (well most of the fall  ;D) I had a fly fisherman in the head of a run I liked to fish. He was running egg flys of some kind. I wanted to fish above him. Well lets just say he need a diaper change. :'( :'( So before he would pee pee himself anymore I moved below him about 20 yards. Plenty of room for him to drift his fly. I was Running a float on a Spinning reel with a bead.. So 20Min's later and 4 browns BANKED and released. He left..lol.. WELL when it comes to a net or not to use a net. I do both.. If I don't have a net I beach them anyways and rip a gill out and watch them leave a trail of red water.. 8) If I net them, Sometimes I do the Samething or do a over the head chuck back into the River.. 9.9, 9.9, 8.9,10.0.. The high dive tripple ganner with a twist lindy... :-*
Get yourself some floats and shot.
Use your Noodle rod first.
See what the take looks like.
Land some fish..
Get yourself a CP outfit.
you can get a nice starter outfit for $300.00
Most of all Enjoy the wonders of Centerpining.
BTW you don't line fish with a vertical bait!! :rotflol:

where trapper on this one lol,

adam2000

« Reply #39 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:59 PM »
bottomline, fish with what you catch fish on. floats have taken over for steelie fishing. WHY cause it works, to me its about catching fish, weather its a fly rod, float rod or spinning rod, just my 2 cents success  rate is higher with floats and a centerpin, its my first yr using it, you cant believe how you can control the drift in and out of pockets and seams, no current making the line bow and shoot your bead ,fly, egg sack ,etc to the shoreline

it all means nothing if you cant read water, get the water reading down and you will catch fish

adam2000

« Reply #40 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:03 PM »
      Well Said Fishgalore
but if you have a custom floatrod and a 500 dollar islander cp reel, ur better than all of us, lol, right frank,  how about that guy today

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #41 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:07 PM »
but if you have a custom floatrod and a 500 dollar islander cp reel, ur better than all of us, lol, right frank,  how about that guy today
Was he a jerk? I didn't talk to him... I never had anything nice.. I use my stuff to much to have nice gear...lol.. ;D
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

adam2000

« Reply #42 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:08 PM »
naw he was cool, those others guys were though

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #43 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:10 PM »
naw he was cool, those others guys were though
Slow poke and Slower poke..

adam2000

« Reply #44 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Slow poke and Slower poke..

just remember its rude to walk faster then someone in the water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.