FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cape Cod Canal - 2018  (Read 52869 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Cape Cod Canal - 2018
« Reply #330 on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Good point. Jon, what in the world will you do if that fishery collapses?

Not if but when the past few years the YOY index has been nuts...meanwhile the harvests are up. 

For me I think the natural progression would be to Tuna.

westernmas

« Reply #331 on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Good point. Jon, what in the world will you do if that fishery collapses?

I think that is when it becomes time to move.

Sharps thanks for the offer.  I'd love to go out but can't make it work this weekend.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #332 on: Aug 13, 2018, 09:57 AM »
Not if but when the past few years the YOY index has been nuts...meanwhile the harvests are up. 

Now you are talking. You want to do a tuna trip with me? I was already planning on jumping on a charter somewhere, I hear its getting better and better out there. I wouldnt mind doing a Canyon run.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #333 on: Aug 13, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Now you are talking. You want to do a tuna trip with me? I was already planning on jumping on a charter somewhere, I hear its getting better and better out there. I wouldnt mind doing a Canyon run.

No need for a charter when we can use this:

But if we did want to commission someone Id probably ask my buddy Jason Colby.  I trust him offshore. 

I have an invite for Thursday and Friday but I cant take a day off until the 28th...doh. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #334 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:26 AM »
No need for a charter when we can use this:

But if we did want to commission someone Id probably ask my buddy Jason Colby.  I trust him offshore. 

I have an invite for Thursday and Friday but I cant take a day off until the 28th...doh.

I am serious about planning a trip. You want to team up or what? If not, I will be booking something on my own. I am interested in Tuna, Shark, mahi mahi, anything I am not familiar with and preferably something I can eat.
Wicked Wec

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #335 on: Aug 13, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Tuna for me too when the fishery collapses. Bust out the 130s and head east or north.

lowaccord66

« Reply #336 on: Aug 13, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I am serious about planning a trip. You want to team up or what? If not, I will be booking something on my own. I am interested in Tuna, Shark, mahi mahi, anything I am not familiar with and preferably something I can eat.

Sure.  We can do both.  Check your work email. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #337 on: Aug 13, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Sure.  We can do both.  Check your work email.

I did not get anything Jon.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #338 on: Aug 13, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I did not get anything Jon.

I got caught up...stand by.

Pat...in your pic with the powerplant and bass...where are the hoardes? 

Roccus

« Reply #339 on: Aug 13, 2018, 02:41 PM »

...been there done that with the tuna.. does nothing for me... went through that phase many years ago.. I fished for them out of a 33' BHM.. when the ground fishing went down hill and tuna got too regulated with too many googans chasing them I sold the boat...Iv'e even got a few out on my 18' on hand lines.. my boat( the 18'er) has deep grooves in the rub rail where tuna dove under the boat after being stuck...I'll keep  bass fishing until the one comes over the rail with a tattoo on it's forehead  that says  LAST ONE!

lowaccord66

« Reply #340 on: Aug 13, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I dont know what else to do Joe.  For years the canal while popular was my spot to nail huge bass quietly and most nights alone.  I can go back to the surf but man it used to try to drown me not to mention seeing all the "rangers" on the upper cape made me sick to my stomach, no parking...I love to see people embrace fishing but man to what extent does it become counter productive? In other words I expect to share some space down there but jeesh 1am shoulder to shoulder? Let me know if you need some assistance up there.  I may dust my boat off soon...

Roccus

« Reply #341 on: Aug 13, 2018, 03:09 PM »
I dont know what else to do Joe.  For years the canal while popular was my spot to nail huge bass quietly and most nights alone.  I can go back to the surf but man it used to try to drown me not to mention seeing all the "rangers" on the upper cape made me sick to my stomach, no parking...I love to see people embrace fishing but man to what extent does it become counter productive? In other words I expect to share some space down there but jeesh 1am shoulder to shoulder? Let me know if you need some assistance up there.  I may dust my boat off soon...
I fully understand what you are saying... you're a young guy..I'm old...if I lived down there I'd probably fish Rhody.until after labor day.. or rig my truck for driving over the sand..I caught a lot of fish there ( Rhody)  in my youth along the breach way and off of beaver tail.. the mussel shoal off Matunuck was always good to me although it almost drowned me a few times because I waited to long to wade back through the cut...I never liked the ditch.. even 40 years ago.
the dilemma you describe is the exact reason I picked a piece of water and learned EVERYTHING about it..I enjoy fishing alone.. the way I want to fish.. I will not combat fish.. another reason I dislike tuna wishing...if there is one fish ( bass) left and the wind. Weather and tide allow me.. if my creator grants me the strength to do what's needed..i'll find it... I try not to look at all the fisheries we have lost.it saddens me greatly... I remember catching 30lb Pollock off of the jetty on Kast masters spring and fall...we caught cod from the surf all winter long... flounder by the bucket.. whiting and king fish from the surf...Now that the spring rush is over and the easy fishing done.. I have the beach or river  to myself at night...and it'll be that way now until I pull the boat in october..just me.. the coyotes and piping plovers. And on occasion. I catch a bass or two... I haven't seen another angler the last 3 trips... life is good.

westernmas

« Reply #342 on: Aug 13, 2018, 03:17 PM »
I got caught up...stand by.

Pat...in your pic with the powerplant and bass...where are the hoardes?

They were all up on the fish pier tangling their lines together and almost getting into fist fights.  I had my girlfriend with me, figuring the fish pier would be easier for her since she could avoid the slippery rocks.  Within 10 minutes she goes, "no way am I fishing here.  I'll get killed.  There's too much testosterone and rules up on the pier."  What a sad statement to hear when FISHING.  Landing a fish on the pier is brutal.  I put my drag lose and let line out so I could get around everyone stuck on the corner of the pier where the tide was going.  I got down to the water, unhooked my fish and released 4 other guys fish so they wouldn't have to crawl down there.  It also deterred them from wanting to keep their fish since they didn't spend the energy getting down the rocks.

Best line I heard all day from an old timer was "good god, it looks like 30 monkeys trying to F a football over in that corner."  He wasn't even fishing.  Just to make himself laugh, once an hour he'd scream mackerel so everyone would start jigging the other side of the pier.  Some colorful characters up on the pier.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #343 on: Aug 13, 2018, 03:28 PM »
I almost gaffed someone in the face with a left hook myself.  I dont care how d**n long you sit on the bank if you arent fishing at 2am and are in a prime spot you arent holding it until 4am.  I won that argument!  Lots of people doing that.  I even saw a tent set up.

elevatorman

• Finally made it on to team Lund ! 18 Sport Angler.
« Reply #344 on: Aug 13, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Tuna =$$$$$$0.  Geez all this drama over fishing doesn't sound fun to me ..... Never got into the canal .....   :-\ Heading to Maine in 2 weeks for solitary bear hunting ...the peace and quiet.. ;)
Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in awell preserved body; but rather to skid in side ways totally worn out shouting (holy sh*t)  WHAT A RIDE! FISH ON!.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.