FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512868 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3285 on: Mar 19, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Thanks Dom.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #3286 on: Mar 20, 2020, 07:32 PM »
ok heres a question ,i can grow tomatoes in my pocket but for the life of me cant get sweet potatoes to grow anyone got a good system ,accually me and wifes favorite root veggie im guessig RAQ or RG may have advice ,i have a lumber mill and can cut for raised bed if thats better just not sure
thx for help

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #3287 on: Mar 20, 2020, 08:58 PM »
I wonder if this Corona Virus will effect nurseries to shut down. i'm going to start quit a few seeds just in case.  And for parents that have kids home from school, this would be a fun project for them. Even if you don't garden, leave them for a neighbor that does.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3288 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:02 AM »
ok heres a question ,i can grow tomatoes in my pocket but for the life of me cant get sweet potatoes to grow anyone got a good system ,accually me and wifes favorite root veggie im guessig RAQ or RG may have advice ,i have a lumber mill and can cut for raised bed if thats better just not sure
thx for help

A raised bed is good and so are large containers.   Trellis the vines to keep them off the soil. Oh and dont use store bought tubers by slips from a garden supply..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3289 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:03 AM »
I wonder if this Corona Virus will effect nurseries to shut down. i'm going to start quit a few seeds just in case.  And for parents that have kids home from school, this would be a fun project for them. Even if you don't garden, leave them for a neighbor that does.

Oh i bet it will.  We're pretty nervous right now. ..   :(
 I might have to get a real job..      :P :P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3290 on: Mar 21, 2020, 09:13 AM »
Bought my seed potatoes this morning. Red Norland and Norkohta Russets this year. Tractor Supply is where I buy mine. 5 lbs for $6. I did very well in the raised beds but not so hot in the 10 gallon potato bags I bought online. This year, the tomatoes are going in the bags. I had early AND late blight and lost a large portion of my tomato crop last year and I'm hoping to avoid a recurrence.

I noticed this morning that I have spinach and radishes sprouting in the trough planter. I'd like to get a harvest before I turn it into the seed starting machine. In my opinion it's the very best way to raise seedlings to transplant. The hardening off process is accomplished without moving anything in and out of the house.

Not to mention the several harvests of radishes and spinach all summer long and well into the fall. A worthwhile project.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

gotagetm

« Reply #3291 on: Mar 21, 2020, 12:02 PM »
Now RAQ I appreciate help
Do bury and mulch heavy ?

Chuckles

« Reply #3292 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:12 PM »
OK fellow gardeners... got a question for you.

Can I prune or cut back my pole beans?  Just the top when they reach a desired height.  For the past 2 years my Kentucky Wonder pole beans have out grown my 10 foot poles. I plant them at  the end of the raised bed and use a step ladder to pick them. Those beans grew up the two 3 leg "teepee" trellises I made for them. Then around each other until there was a birds nest looking thing that had beans in it that I couldn't pick. If I prune the plant say at 8 feet  will that force the plant to make side shoots? Or will that kill the plant?  I think the pruning would have to happen before the beans set flower.
 Looking forward to your thoughts.
Later.... Chuckles

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3293 on: Mar 21, 2020, 03:14 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to prune them to a reasonable height. It's an indeterminate variety. I prefer bush beans. I usually plant them after I harvest my potatoes. They produce well into the fall.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3294 on: Mar 23, 2020, 05:43 PM »
Bob here is one pot tomato we are growing.   Need to get pictures of the rest..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3295 on: Mar 24, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Determinate varieties I assume?

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3296 on: Mar 25, 2020, 05:35 AM »
Yes.. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3297 on: Mar 25, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Thanks Dom.

Rg

fishinator

« Reply #3298 on: Mar 25, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Anyone know how to get rid of squash bugs? They wiped out my zucchini, melons and cucumbers last year. I'm not even close to planting and I have already found 2 in my house.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3299 on: Mar 26, 2020, 05:39 AM »
Rotten little buggers to get control of. The adults are very resistant to insecticide. Much like Japanese beetles, hand picking of adults and eggs can be tedious, but works. I haven't had a huge problem with them so far. But I grow very little squash. I did have some on my cukes and pickles a couple years back. I pulled the plants at the end of he season and burned them. Next spring i tilled the beds thoroughly and it seemed to help.

Malathion will work on newly hatched bugs, but does little to the adults or eggs. You can give them a place to shelter at night if you haven't caught them early enough. Put a few shingles or pieces of board aroundd the infected plants. They'll use that at night to hide. You can murder them in the early morning. Flick them into a jar of Dawn detergent and water and let them drown.

I move my 1 or 2 zucchini plants around the gardens rotating where I plant them. Don't know if that's an answer, but it might help.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.