FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513124 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #3300 on: Mar 26, 2020, 01:33 PM »
Got into the gardens today. Started  the renovation to the beds, raked up and cleaned up the asparagus bed  and uncovered the garlic beds. I had a lot of mulch on them last fall. Looks like every clove sprouted. All 168 of them. Felt good to get my hands dirty.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3301 on: Mar 30, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Does anyone have a useful link or advice for a novice who is looking to start vegetable  plants from seed (if it’s not too late) while telecommuting during the pandemic?

Don’t have a green house but I was thinking of using an aluminum lasagna pan with a clear lid to keep heat in.

I have the peat moss starters and some crowing lamps that I planned on using.

Stay healthy everyone!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3302 on: Mar 30, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Its never too late to start seedlings. Covering them too tightly, keeping them too warm and using grow lamps too far away from the seedlings will produce tall skinny plants. Not good.

Sprout your seeds before planting in the starter pods. Keep them moist but never wet. Allow for good drainage. Keep the lights as close as possible and on a timer . I used 12 hrs on/off. When they grow the first true leaves, think about starting the Hardening off process. If at all possible move them outside in a protected spot for a couple hours a day. This can be tedious if you have a lot of starts.

It grows a more robust plant.

Before I built my Trough Planter, I used a 4 lamp 2x4' trouffer fixture with  5000k lamps. It worked very well and produced good seedlings. I would still lose some to hardening off and transplant shock. But, I always had enough.

Now I start my seeds in peat pots in the planter. There's no hardening off as the are raised outside . I plant fewer and lose fewer..

Don't overlook direct sowing when the soil is above 50 degrees. Might end up being more productive and less Shock to the seedlings.

I'm by no means any kind of expert, but Dom is and hopefully he'll chime in.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #3303 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:20 AM »
Its never too late to start seedlings. Covering them too tightly, keeping them too warm and using grow lamps too far away from the seedlings will produce tall skinny plants. Not good.

Sprout your seeds before planting in the starter pods. Keep them moist but never wet. Allow for good drainage. Keep the lights as close as possible and on a timer . I used 12 hrs on/off. When they grow the first true leaves, think about starting the Hardening off process. If at all possible move them outside in a protected spot for a couple hours a day. This can be tedious if you have a lot of starts.

It grows a more robust plant.

Before I built my Trough Planter, I used a 4 lamp 2x4' trouffer fixture with  5000k lamps. It worked very well and produced good seedlings. I would still lose some to hardening off and transplant shock. But, I always had enough.

Now I start my seeds in peat pots in the planter. There's no hardening off as the are raised outside . I plant fewer and lose fewer..

Don't overlook direct sowing when the soil is above 50 degrees. Might end up being more productive and less Shock to the seedlings.

I'm by no means any kind of expert, but Dom is and hopefully he'll chime in.

Rg

Thanks for your thoughts RG. I tried a few years ago with my daughter when she joined her elementary school garden club. I think she over watered them which lead to more mold than plantable vegetables....

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3304 on: Mar 31, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Yeah to much water kills more plants than not enough.  Seeds dont need to be watered after the initial planting. As long as the soil is a little moist your good..
 Just a double 4' florescent fixture works well.
 And remember seeds dont need light to germinate ,only after they sprout..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3305 on: Mar 31, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Good point Dom. I sprout mine between moist sheets of paper towel in a pie plate. Works great.

Rg

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #3306 on: Apr 03, 2020, 11:09 PM »
Finally started my seeds. 4 different kinds of tomatoes, cukes, zucchini,beans and some pumpkins and watermelon for my buddy with a huge garden

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3307 on: Apr 04, 2020, 03:58 AM »
I'll wait for another couple weeks to start anything. Plenty of time yet. Radishes and spinach are coming along in the trough planter. With temps in the low 40's yesterday, the trough was in the 80's.

Rg

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #3308 on: Apr 04, 2020, 08:38 AM »
Bob,
You should build those trough planters and sell them. I bet you could move quite a few just from this site alone.
I’d be interested.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3309 on: Apr 04, 2020, 08:54 AM »
Bob,
You should build those trough planters and sell them. I bet you could move quite a few just from this site alone.
I’d be interested.

Theres nothing worse than a hobby becoming a job.  Believe me I know..   ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #3310 on: Apr 04, 2020, 09:43 AM »
  Theres nothing worse than a hobby becoming a job.  Believe me I know..   ;D ;D ;D
Raq,
That is very true. Maybe he will make some just for the fun of it..🤪😂

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3311 on: Apr 04, 2020, 11:09 AM »
nah...I'd have to charge too much for them. I'm not set up for any kind of production like that. Turning small items on the lathe I can do without any trouble. I do make garden dibbers for planting.

Rg

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #3312 on: Apr 07, 2020, 08:20 AM »
I put some shredded leaves on the garden last fall and tilled them in. Today I'll till them again and grab a few worms.

I put in an order with Gurneys earlier, received all my seeds, onion set and seed potatoes will be coming later...

Stay safe all
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3313 on: Apr 08, 2020, 06:41 AM »
I have all my seeds and seed potatoes. I won't start anything until the last week of April. The radishes in the trough planter are coming on a bit slow but starting to show true leaves. Temps in the box hit the high 90s yesterday and the piston that opens the lid for ventilation was working like a charm. I don't think the soil temperature was quite that high. I haven't buried the probe as yet. It's just in a plastic bag on the surface. I'm sure it gets 10-15* hotter than the soil.

My neighbor gifted me some 2x6 and 2x8 to finish extending 2 of my beds that I altered. I'll probably get around to that in the next week or so.

No sign of asparagus yet, but my garlic is growing nicely. Deer or rabbits browsed off some of my tulips so I put down some Repelsall to deter the buggers.
Hostas and plantains are poking through and my bleeding heart is 1' tall now.

It's all getting there.

Rg

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #3314 on: Apr 08, 2020, 08:06 AM »
Bob,
I just started to see some asparagus on Sunday. Now I have close to a dozen poking through...this is year 4 for my patch, so it should be a good one!! Can’t wait...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.