FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trapper Did you see this one ?  (Read 6198 times)

seamonkey84

Re: Trapper Did you see this one ?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Wow, I guess our forage isn’t as abundant, or they just don’t do well feeding on the Alewives that have been displacing the smelt.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Seamonkey84,

Were you around in the 70's when both the smelt and alewives were extremely abundant? I remember seeing fish that looked like they were on steroids.

That said as you probably know alewives aren't the best forage as they can cause a vitamin deficiency in salmonids. 

https://www.usgs.gov/news/lack-vitamin-b1-killing-great-lakes-fish
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Jul 16, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Wow this went from a sturgeon being caught in oneida to landlocks and  smelt and saw bellies all over....????
 And pretty sure sea monkey wasn't old enough for the 70's.... ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Wow this went from a sturgeon being caught in oneida to landlocks and  smelt and saw bellies all over....????
 And pretty sure sea monkey wasn't old enough for the 70's.... ;)

Hey we are well rounded anglers here. Any subject -- we are all experts.  :rotflol:

BTW what do you think about the humpback whales and how many tons of fish they inhale? Do you think they'll have an effect on the mackerel this year?  ;)

As far as Sea Monkey and the 70's at first I thought the comment was from Trapper2000 and then changed it to Sea Monkey84 when I realized he had made the comment.

And of course I keep forgetting how freaking old I am!  The 70's must feel like the Jarrasic Period to some of you!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2019, 05:03 AM »
i don't remember the 70's  :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

bigal409

« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2019, 05:14 AM »
I do. Got married in the 70's. Forgot her name though.lol  :whistling: :whistling:

joefish1

« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2019, 06:20 AM »
Well at least it got you guys talking again.  Things were pretty dull for awhile.  No one wanted to talk about anything so thats why it was started.

trapper2000

« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2019, 06:42 AM »
my opinion is simple ...their stocked  stock  more of them and let people fish for them ......what good are they and why waste the money if sportsmen can't enjoy them ???

Badbrad2186

« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2019, 08:42 AM »
my opinion is simple ...their stocked  stock  more of them and let people fish for them ......what good are they and why waste the money if sportsmen can't enjoy them ????

You can enjoy them on a catch and release only not a fillet and release that's all. I know we all prefer the fillet and release method but until they have a healthy population or they stock more we aren't going to be able to do that

zwiggles

« Reply #24 on: Jul 17, 2019, 08:47 AM »
Wow, I guess our forage isn’t as abundant, or they just don’t do well feeding on the Alewives that have been displacing the smelt.

I think the one from torch lake was a state or world record. The bio said the lake has a stupid amount of shrimp in it, and that was why the fish was so fat.

trapper2000

« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2019, 09:31 AM »

You can enjoy them on a catch and release only not a fillet and release that's all. I know we all prefer the fillet and release method but until they have a healthy population or they stock more we aren't going to be able to do that

NO YOU CAN NOT!  you are not  supposed to target these  fish in any way !  no catch and release  fishing ....... they should  just stock more  or use the money from this   to better the  fishing and access  we have ....again my opinion

I do not believe these fish will ever  be self sufficant ,that's why they disappeared to begin with

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:03 AM »

The one they have from Oneida is a baby. They do reside in Lake Ontario. This floater was spotted in Guffin Bay. No visible injuries, at least 7' long, may have died of old age. Sorry about the picture of a picture (pre digital).

trapper2000

« Reply #27 on: Jul 17, 2019, 10:23 AM »
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/26035.html

always been sturgeon in Ontario the idea is to get the numbers to increase

taxid

« Reply #28 on: Jul 17, 2019, 12:57 PM »

So you're one of those young whippersnappers too eh?  If so you would have been in heaven when the salmon and trout were at their peak. I remember looking down off of a dam on the Thunderbay River in Alpena and watching hook jawed monster browns cruise back and forth. Unfortunately they were as lock jawed as the salmon that seemed to average 30 pounds. I don't know how much those browns weighed but their backs were a good 6 inches a across.

A local radio station here in Indiana would announce when the kings would stage off the river mouths. Those kings averaged in the upper 20's. 30 pounds was common.

trapper2000

« Reply #29 on: Jul 17, 2019, 02:14 PM »
huhhhhhhhhhh taxid  I don't think understood   :rotflol:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.