FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Little Sodus Bay Walleye?  (Read 6769 times)

mdm25549

Re: Little Sodus Bay Walleye?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Bleeding the eyes is an incredible difference in the meat I started doing it last year and I’ll do it every time now. Trapper I don’t understand your comment. If you had a way to better the quality of any meat from any fish wouldn’t you do it as well? Walleyes are fantastic at the end of the day. This is all preference talk, I think everyone in this thread would agree their favorite walleye is the one on their plate

Mac Attack

« Reply #31 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:32 PM »
Trap just likes to stoke the fire

8)

Bosco

« Reply #32 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:47 PM »
It's really no trouble. Just a process of taking a little extra care to draw out the optimal taste from the best tasting fresh water gamefish KNOWN TO MAN!! Perch and Bluegill are really no challenge. And they fight like...well...Perch and Bluegill. I like Perch for the numbers early spring, late fall, and then add Bluegill to the mix through the ice. Winter is the only time I find Perch and Bluegill challenging and really that's because I can't be as mobile as in a boat. And honestly, I'm most apt to fish Crappie through the ice because...well...again...the challenge.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Bleeding the eyes is an incredible difference in the meat I started doing it last year and I’ll do it every time now. Trapper I don’t understand your comment. If you had a way to better the quality of any meat from any fish wouldn’t you do it as well? Walleyes are fantastic at the end of the day. This is all preference talk, I think everyone in this thread would agree their favorite walleye is the one on their plate

truth no bs  I grew up in Oswego catching 10 pound plus walleyes  they suck  plain and simple as honest as can be I keep walleyes under 22 ....bleeding a fish is the stupidest thing I ever heard I never had a bloody walleye fillet .fillet it  rise it off no blood ....and I 100% stand by what I say  big walleyes taste like mush  and Oneida lake has better eating fish  now that's my honest opinion and my personal preference.... I rather eat a 16 inch walleye from Oneida....or a perch...not stroken the fire big Ontario walleyes as table fare  suck,eat em if you want I'm not going to
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Bosco

« Reply #34 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Yup. And I agree. I'd take Oneida eyes an hour and 15 minutes from my house over I-Bay/Lake Ontario eyes any day. Except I-Bay is 2 minutes from my house. Going out tonight, in fact.

Bosco

« Reply #35 on: Jul 22, 2019, 06:57 PM »
I don't get 10+ pounders here either. A lot of 18-22" and throw in a bunch 25-26" with a few 27" plus over the course of the season.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #36 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:25 PM »

Trapper is the kind of guy you tell him you need a little kindling and he brings back a 5 gallon can of gasoline.  He just like to throw a little gas on the fire that all.  :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

trapper2000

« Reply #37 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:26 PM »
bosco  nothing wrong with that I fish  Oswego  and  Oswego river  most days  ...same as  you  22 and under is in my opinion best eating walleye there is  as far as water  Oneida is fantastic ...  first the water quality is much better second the food base is  better ..... equals better eating fish

Bosco

« Reply #38 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:28 PM »
Absolutely. No doubt I have to compensate for the Alewife diet in my neck of the woods.

Badbrad2186

« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:32 PM »
Absolutely. No doubt I have to compensate for the Alewife diet in my neck of the woods.

Now I love walleyes taste and fishing for them but fish for perch way more often as limit is 10x and almost 20x on Onieda. I have 4 kids 2 feed as well though so I try to stock the freezer mostly during the winter as kids love ice fishing

trapper2000

« Reply #40 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:38 PM »
you live next to pretty good  perch water  brad  :thumbup_smilie:

I guess my whole point here is this  why  keep a  10 or 12  pound walleye that is mushy  that you are  going to bleed  and   cut down and  spend all that effort on  ?  let the  trophy fish go unless you want it on the wall  and target smaller better eating fish 

Badbrad2186

« Reply #41 on: Jul 22, 2019, 07:53 PM »
you live next to pretty good  perch water  brad  :thumbup_smilie:

I guess my whole point here is this  why  keep a  10 or 12  pound walleye that is mushy  that you are  going to bleed  and   cut down and  spend all that effort on  ?  let the  trophy fish go unless you want it on the wall  and target smaller better eating fish

Trapper I'm well aware of what is pretty much in my back yard. But you have mail sir so please check you inbox

bigbuck

« Reply #42 on: Jul 22, 2019, 09:15 PM »
Hi Bosco, is the I bay launch open now? Drove over the bay bridge yesterday and saw a lot of boats on the bay. Thanks.

Bosco

« Reply #43 on: Jul 22, 2019, 11:56 PM »
I don't know whether to kiss the county executive, the town supervisor, or a parks Dept official but YES!! the launch is open...sort of. One of the ramp docks was outfitted with a wooden riser and an aluminum bridge to accommodate boat launching. Just one though. The other ramp dock is still inaccessible (unless you bring waders...which might not be a bad idea if you go down during the busy time. I'm usually not launching until 9:30 and usually only weeknights so one ramp is plenty... hallelujah!

Also, the park entrance that is the official entrance for vehicle with watercraft in-tow is still barricaded off because of high water but you can access at the entrance by the swing bridge and then walk over to the kiosk and purchase your launch ticket.

Tonight I had my first cast at 9:58 and had my 3 by 10:28. 18", 18" & 20". Fished another hour and went 4 for 7. I lost 2 that hit right at the boat and then one shook off out quite a ways so I put the hook file to the lure and stuck 4 more. Gorgeous flat quiet night.  An absolute joy to be out.

This hasn't been a banner year but I'm SOOOO far ahead from last year. I still can't account for why but last year was my worst year in probably 11 or 12 years.

bigbuck

« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2019, 12:16 AM »
Congrats on a great night. Must have been fun. Thanks for the update on the launch situation!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.