FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What kind of GPS is best?  (Read 4348 times)

shwung79

• Bite My Worm!
What kind of GPS is best?
« on: Mar 25, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Im looking to purchase a handheld gps unit but unsure which one to buy. ???  Not to mention the fact that I am really not to familiar with all the features.  Is there any unit out there that holds lake maps including their depths and some structures?
Kevin McGrath

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: What kind of GPS is best?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Garmin has a web page you can go there and look at samples of the maps that they load in to there units. 
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2004, 09:02 AM »
I feel that Garmin is the most accurate on the market. I have used Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance. They are all fairly easy to operate.
Pete Lewis

fozsey

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2004, 04:24 PM »
I just bought a Garmin etrex legend and I am totally impressed with it so far. Mind you I have never had one so right now I am like a little kid with a new toy. I have used it a few times on some of my highway runs for work about 150 miles or less and it seems very accurate. The speedo meter is deadon. It doesn't like being inside my house, but will work there very limited and I figured out how to load detailed basemaps from my computer to it. It will only accept one state due to it being an 8mb memory card, but the detail in each city is fantastic. If you have a trip planned somewhere you can load additonal states, but doing so will erase your prev. loaded maps. So far the best accuracy I have seen with it has been about 20 feet that I can remember anyway. I haven't had it on the water yet so I don't know how it will work there. If anyone wants more info feel free to ask.

newoodhntr

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2004, 08:36 PM »
Fozsey and any one else interested in a legend or vista ,Garmin is running a $30.00 rebate on them. I found it on Cabela's site and printed it from there. I think you can get it from Garmin's site also. It is good  May 1st to August 1st 2004.   Newoodhntr

fozsey

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Thanks,

Sent mine off last Friday. You have to give up your original sales reciept, but for 30 smackers its worth it.

sylvan

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2005, 05:07 PM »
I've been looking at the Magellan Explorist 200. What does everyone think? I just want it to get to and from and mark waypoints. I don't really know if I want a unit that can store maps and stuff. That sounds like a higher cost for the unit, and then additional cost for the map chips. Also looking for something under $200.00.

dr.trout

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2005, 07:34 PM »
I want to get a gps for fishing in lakes and in the ocean to back track over holes and find my way back to places.What is a simple and avordable one.I keep hearing you talking about waas.What is this??

gamefisher

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2005, 06:48 AM »
I too and interested in purchasing a cheap unit that is extremely user friendly.  (pretty low tech. guy)  I just want it for boat speed, marking humps and drops for trolling, and remembering productive ice fishing holes.  The yellow garmin etrek and the red Magellan Explorist are both about $100.  My take after looking around the internet is the Garmin might be easier to use but the Megellan more accurate?  (I think that the Magellan has that WAAS thing)  Thanks for the ancipated input as I much prefer the sportsman's take versus the factory specs.   

devil-man

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2005, 07:26 AM »
I have the Magellan SportTrak Topo. It's a relly cool unit once you figure out all the bells and whistles. I'm having to send it in to have the base map re-installed free of charge.
Apparently it was erased while trying to do an update.  :'(

ginnz

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 12:04 AM »
i got a raymarine raynav 300 plotter and love it! its loaded and links up with my my ff via nmea data output.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.