FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Still open water fishing?  (Read 2156 times)

TroutFishingBear

Still open water fishing?
« on: Nov 15, 2004, 12:29 PM »
Are you guys still finding open water to fish?
I can all winter in the colorado river. Just yesterday and the day before combined I had tough numbers for this time of year, 28 trout, but the size of the fish were amazing with a 17" 3lb fish being about the average. I got one up around 7 lbs and lost a couple larger fish. The rainbows were jumping and running and the drags were screaming! when I get some pictures developed I'll post them....

Good luck to all! hope you can find some open water to fish around you!

Slipbob, are you still catching walleyes?

wny angler

Re: Still open water fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2004, 06:46 PM »
seems the majority of guys out their must be out hunting or waiting for ice.
             plenty of open water here and hope it stays that way a little while longer   ;D

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2004, 07:00 PM »
nice one today there WNY. I'd out on the water too and have pictures, but due to family medical problems, I've been taking care of the family, you only got one. But, with alittle recovery behind us, I maybe able to get out for an afternoon this week, but aren't counting on it.  :-\ keep em coming WNY love your stealies, just wish I was closer to the action.  ;)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

wny angler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2004, 07:13 PM »
nice one today there WNY. I'd out on the water too and have pictures, but due to family medical problems, I've been taking care of the family, you only got one. But, with alittle recovery behind us, I maybe able to get out for an afternoon this week, but aren't counting on it.  :-\ keep em coming WNY love your stealies, just wish I was closer to the action.  ;)
   thanx C F- sorry to hear about that -hope everything works out for you

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2004, 07:43 PM »
   thanx C F- sorry to hear about that -hope everything works out for you
day by day she gets better, good days-bad days, tons of Dr. visits. Thanks WNY, your wonderful pictures make me smile and I share them with everyone here at work, we can't believe your hammering them like that, just wish I could get out the way, looks like tons of fun. long long drive.  :P thanks again bud.  8)
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2004, 07:54 PM »
Yup I'm still fishing the Colorado River in central Colorado for big trout. Haven't caught any monsters, but the 2 - 5 pounders are coming in left and right. I released them all. Did hook one that was probably about 8 pounds too. Fun to catch wild landlocked rainbows that can be as big as WNY's steelies.

Tyler

suskymusky

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2004, 07:01 AM »
I've been catching walleyes and smallies with jigs and minnows.This time of year they aren't very active, and wont move far to hit a bait.I'm still trying to get a decent Musky, but I've only had some hammerhandles and a couple follows.The river came up quite a bit, so it looks like I'll have to stick with Channel cats for a while.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Jigwiggler

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:49 AM »
I've been catching walleyes and smallies with jigs and minnows.This time of year they aren't very active, and wont move far to hit a bait.I'm still trying to get a decent Musky, but I've only had some hammerhandles and a couple follows.The river came up quite a bit, so it looks like I'll have to stick with Channel cats for a while.

At least the river doesn't stay up very long this time of year.  It's still quite high but looked pretty good this morning.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

fozsey

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2004, 03:34 PM »
We went out yesterday on the MO river. Getting the boat launched can be a pain and getting it back on the trailer is even worse. We did manage a limit of walleye in an hour and a half. We were using crappie rigs and med minnows.

fastribs85

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2004, 09:20 PM »
nice fish wny
naked women and beer we got it all in here

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:31 PM »
I May also have open water all year long but the way things are going the ice can wait. I fished hard last week and had my best week in december on kodiak ever. Caught 8 steelhead, 20 bows including 5 over 4 pounds and 100 dollys over three days between me and my friend including 20 over 20 inches. This weeks average temp is 43 degrees and i am lovin it!
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

mjc2799

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2005, 02:16 PM »
if the weather remains this warm ... i geuss if want to get out we will be fishing open water ... the temps have wrecked havoc with our ice ....

mike
mike

suskymusky

« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2005, 04:43 AM »
Went out yesterday jigging for walleye and musky with bucktail jigs and plastics.I know a few spots where the river doesn't freeze because of minewater flowing in.I got four walleyes, all from 15 to 20 inches.I had one musky follow, not huge but about 40 inches. If the temps stay in the 40s I might not be able to get on the ice this weekend, so I might just hit the river with livebait.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.