FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Newbie 2 float tubing  (Read 1947 times)

GillHunternNE

Newbie 2 float tubing
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 11:18 PM »
I'm new to float tubing - I'm wondering what the temperture the water s/b to go out tubin? I live in the midwest and the water temp is aroung the low's 40's.  I have 3.5mm waders?  Are these warm enough or do i need to let the water warm up more?  We are suppose to reach the high 50's possibly 60 by Wednesday thru next Sunday.  I am just wondering about going out by Sat. or Sunday? THANKS !

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
Re: Newbie 2 float tubing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 11:34 PM »
Sorry, can't help you on the question. Considering your temperature and weather conditions, just wanted to thank you for rubbin it in. Still have ice and 20-30 degree temps here in Central NY State.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

mosquito

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:16 PM »
Last time I was floattubing last fall the water was 40F.
I had 3.5 mm waders with long johns and it wasn't so bad.
The only problem was the ice on my fly line line and in the
guides.  Good luck.

GillHunternNE

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:37 PM »
Thanks and Sorry - Our weather i'm sure is like anywhere else ,it can change if you wait 5 minutes.  We had a little suprise this morning - SNOW - We only recieved 3-4 inches but - Some areas just north (45-60 miles ) received 8-15".  Guess we were lucky.  Still supose to get around 62 by Saturday.  Wish we would of kept our hardwater a little longer.  I was not able to get out as much i I wanted.  We had just about 6 weeks of good ice.    But  i guess you take what you get and make the best of it.

Thanks for responding.  Being a newbie it's nice to talk to others and swap stories and learn from others how to have fun and enjoy what we all enjoy.

Hope to get out Saturday and try out the new tube - Thanks again.

wyogator

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2004, 03:26 PM »
3.5 mill for water in the 40's is fine, although it may take some getting used to it.  when I lived in Virginia, I surfed all winter with a 4 mill wetsuit with water temps down in the upper 30's.  I float tube and duck hunt with rubber waders and plenty of polypro underneath, and I am fine.

Cider

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2004, 04:40 PM »
3.5 mill for water in the 40's is fine, although it may take some getting used to it.  when I lived in Virginia, I surfed all winter with a 4 mill wetsuit with water temps down in the upper 30's.  I float tube and duck hunt with rubber waders and plenty of polypro underneath, and I am fine.

Put a pair of fleece wader pants on underneath.  That will help a lot for early season wading/float tubing!  ;D

shwung79

• Bite My Worm!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2004, 10:32 AM »
I was thinking of getting into float fishing this year as well, but I think Ill wait till its a little warmer! ;D  Any suggestions on what would be a good starter tube that wouldnt set me back to much doe?
Kevin McGrath

Cider

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2004, 11:19 AM »
I was thinking of getting into float fishing this year as well, but I think Ill wait till its a little warmer! ;D  Any suggestions on what would be a good starter tube that wouldnt set me back to much doe?

Shwung - look on Cabela's website.  The caddis brand tubes are reputable and reasonably priced.  In my opinion, the important thing to watch for is weight capacity.  Take into account how much you weigh and add about 50 lbs (generous) for gear, lunch, etc.  Then look at functionality.  They all do the same thing (keep you afloat) so when I say funtionality, I mean storage pockets, backrest, stripping basket, rod keepers, etc.

In my opinion, picking out the flippers was harder than deciding on a float tube!

shwung79

• Bite My Worm!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:22 AM »
Good info!  I didnt think about adding the wait of my gear! ::)  Ill have to check out their website.  Thanks
Kevin McGrath

wyogator

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2004, 11:07 AM »
Good idea with the fleece, Cider. I just bought a pair of fleece pants from Old Navy for 6 bucks!  I will check Sierra Trading Post or Sportsmans for the wader pants. I got a nice tube on sale at Garts a couple of years ago for 50 bucks, reg. $99.00. I forgot the brand, I think Stearns; works great.

oldjim

« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2004, 02:42 PM »
hey when you get a float tube get one that is u-shaped with a styrofoam seat or a pontoon type.  with these types you are a little higher on the water, and easier to fly cast.

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2004, 01:22 AM »
Although i love ice fishing i',m still loving the open water here. I Go float tubing a lot in low 40's water for rainbows and cohos. I usually perfer 5 mm waders but i have got by with 3.5 and even breathable gore tex if i have thermanl underwear on. In fact i caught a ocean bright coho on thanksgiving with breathables and nice thermals and stayed on the water for 4 hours without getting chilled. The one tip i have is get a pontoon boat if you can because they are higher up in the water and you can take your legs out. I always use a pontoon boat in cold water unless hiking is involved. If a float tube is a must get one that floats high. Some models, especially pontoon types, float higher than others.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.