FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: it's gettin quiet over here  (Read 9453 times)

kfishdoctor

Re: it's gettin quiet over here
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Boat is put to bed for the winter.
And the cold really kills my feet.
The pain is unbearable.
Still, I do wish I could do a little fishing.
I have to get some oversize boots and some heat pads for under my feet in them.
It might allow me to at least get out for a few hours.
I used to love ice fishing and really miss it.

Its crazy how life has most of us in the reverse mode. When we are young and our bodies work almost pain-free we have to work, not a whole lotta free time available to do the things we want. We get old and free time abounds but our body lets us know it aint happy with our choice to do what we wish we could do. I feel for you Mac and Im right there with ya. I am thankful for the good years and at 62 I look at paps(89) and wonder what the heck hes going through. As I said in another post this week ice is good for one thing, cooling off my drink on a hot summer day!

filetandrelease

« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2017, 09:19 PM »

, these days it’s a flip shack and a healthy supply of propane , 😀

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2017, 04:44 AM »
Yesterday  I put the boat in the garage. It's ready to go any time I am. In years past I've covered it up and put it away. I'm hoping for a few more perch trips before the freeze. I remember years when I boat fished all winter long.

Kfish, I'll be 68 in March. I'm in pretty good shape for my age. Lots of things I used to do that I do a bit slower now. Used to run every morning, now I walk....but.....I still walk an average of 20 miles a week. As far as ice fishing goes, I've done a lot of it over the years. More than most. I've had all the toys. Sleds, flip overs, heaters, sonars 25 different rods and enough jigs to equip 20 or so ice fishers.  It's kind of gone full circle for me. I started out with a spud, bucket and home made rod. That's probably where I'll end up in a few years.  I've got a little sled that weighs about 20 lbs fully loaded and fish in the open now. If I need a shelter and a heater, I stay home and turn up the thermostat.

I guess I just don't feel like I HAVE to go ice fishing any more. I'll pick my days and go when I feel like it.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2017, 05:08 AM »
Launchable still?

They pulled the dock on Friday. Gate is still open at Northville...h2l

filetandrelease

« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2017, 06:02 AM »

I hear ya RG , I to am in pretty good shape spite a few abused body parts ,
Funny you should mention home made rod,  I still use the first one I ever built for flats when I chase them , but I still have a few goals ,

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2017, 01:14 PM »
They pulled the dock on Friday. Gate is still open at Northville...h2l

Thank you.  Not that it would be a huge loss, but driving out there to not get on would be a bummer.

Roccus

« Reply #21 on: Nov 07, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Its crazy how life has most of us in the reverse mode. When we are young and our bodies work almost pain-free we have to work, not a whole lotta free time available to do the things we want. We get old and free time abounds but our body lets us know it aint happy with our choice to do what we wish we could do. I feel for you Mac and Im right there with ya. I am thankful for the good years and at 62 I look at paps(89) and wonder what the heck hes going through. As I said in another post this week ice is good for one thing, cooling off my drink on a hot summer day!

right there with ya... same age... I've worked out side most of my life... I'm a little guy that has beat the crap out of my body working along side the "big dogs"... some days getting out of bed is a chore...I pull the boat the 15th of October because the marina says we have to... years ago.. I trailered the boat all over for "one more trip"... then you get wiser and relize.. a lot of times .. that one more trip never happens...life gets in the way...I like putting the boat away while I can still feel my fingers... I ice fish.. but only under my terms... if it's nasty...  the fire place is nice and worm... besides... putting the boat away early gives me a little time in the woods... I've already got a 6 pointer in the freezer... ma. bow season has been kind to me this year.

Mac Attack

« Reply #22 on: Nov 07, 2017, 10:16 AM »
right there with ya... same age... I've worked out side most of my life... I'm a little guy that has beat the crap out of my body working along side the "big dogs"... some days getting out of bed is a chore...I pull the boat the 15th of October because the marina says we have to... years ago.. I trailered the boat all over for "one more trip"... then you get wiser and relize.. a lot of times .. that one more trip never happens...life gets in the way...I like putting the boat away while I can still feel my fingers... I ice fish.. but only under my terms... if it's nasty...  the fire place is nice and worm... besides... putting the boat away early gives me a little time in the woods... I've already got a 6 pointer in the freezer... ma. bow season has been kind to me this year.

:thumbup_smilie:

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2017, 02:08 PM »
Nice Joe.  Beauty of fishing is you can do it at whatever speed or comfort level you choose.  I am still in young and dumb phase but feel myself hitting the brakes a bit more.  Id like to conserve some energy for later in life.

Roccus

« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2017, 07:31 AM »
Nice Joe.  Beauty of fishing is you can do it at whatever speed or comfort level you choose.  I am still in young and dumb phase but feel myself hitting the brakes a bit more.  Id like to conserve some energy for later in life.

Age is the equalizer...I ran full bore against the governor well into  my 50's...60 ( I'm 62 now) seemed to be the turning point...I became less inspired to fight the wind.." bad" moon "bad" Tides and  fight the weather in general........I've accomplished everything I wanted to...and then some...as the clock ticks......now it's time to enjoy a life time of learning While I still can.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2017, 04:02 PM »
I'm still learning something every day. My little wood shop is my "Brain Trust". The past couple days I made a chuck for finishing the bottoms of bowls.

I guess I'm saying we need to exercise our brains as much as our bodies.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2017, 06:16 PM »

I guess I'm saying we need to exercise our brains as much as our bodies.

Rg

You need to exercise your brain a wee bit more Bob.

This isn't your woodshop thread.

;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #27 on: Nov 09, 2017, 03:35 AM »
So....I'm obsessed.......tonight it's gonna rain, then turn to ice and then snow with 40 mph wind and a 25* drop in temperature. What better place to be.

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2017, 05:22 AM »
I had 29 degrees with frost everywhere this morning. I guess my kayak is stashed for the year cuz it's not supposed to get above 30 for over night temps for at least a week. I guess it's time to swap out the soft water gear for the ice gear and then impatiently wait for safe ice. I'm gonna be over on the shanty from now on.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2017, 05:26 AM »
Nice fixture work Rg. Your lathe work is a labor of love I see! I'll keep my eyes out for some nice burls while I'm chasing the wood goats.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.