FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question about water temps...  (Read 1472 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Question about water temps...
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 07:40 AM »
For you guys that do cold water fishing- or anyone I guess- do you use anything to tell you what the water temps are at specific depths? I'm trying to add as many tools to the arsenal as I can for trolling and I was considering buying something to measure water temps at my trolling depth, but they seem expensive. Do you guys use anything or see a value in this info? I think it would be interesting to see where the fish are and what temps they are focused on.

zwiggles

Re: Question about water temps...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:19 AM »
I have been considering getting a fishhawk for trolling. Salmon love 55 degrees, and especially early in the year it can be hard to find the depth where that temp is.

I have the same hesitations as you on price, but I have read a few peoples posts who have been very happy with the cheaper versions of their product.

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/marine-electronics/fish-hawk-x4

Fish Farmer

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:53 AM »
I fish with guys that are all about the fishhawk. We troll Lake Champlain. Although the guy I usually go with fishes this time of year when the temp is more consistant.

Years ago I bought a very cheap temp probe that you could drop down and find the temp, but couldn't really troll with it. I only used it a few times and would usually rely on my fish finder to locate bait/fish and fish around that.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Years ago I bought a very cheap temp probe that you could drop down and find the temp, but couldn't really troll with it. I only used it a few times and would usually rely on my fish finder to locate bait/fish and fish around that.

But what if you had something that you could troll with? I'm thinking I could create something that wouldn't cost too much that I'd be able to keep attached to a downrigger ball and could continually register water temps in real time. I think it could help me locate and stay on fish.

fishshack

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:18 PM »
When I fished Ontario for trout/salmon I used a depth raider. Without temp/speed at downrigger ball you were at a HUGE disadvantage out there.  I believe they  double your catch rate at a minimum. Well worth the money for that type of fishing!!!!

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2017, 01:58 AM »
Used a fishhawk on Ontario.  Worked....sometimes.  There where times where the receiver didnt get the signal from the probe which was annoying.  Helps to know temp but speed at the ball is way more important.  All of these cold water species will move "out of temp" so to me the critical data is speed at the ball.  Especially when fishing lakes with current.  Aside from that, modern finders are so good at marking fish we never search for a prefered depth via water temp because we see where the fish are hanging.  So in my humble opinion the only use for those expensive devices is to ensure an accurate presentation via controlling your percise speed at the ball.  (We fished Ontario a bunch without one and that is particularly difficult.)

Jethro I think there is value, specifically if you troll a lot.  If you divide the cost by how much you'll use it and consider how much money is spent on all other gear it seems like a reasonable investment.

fishlessman

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2017, 10:00 AM »
for new england i just look for warmer water early spring on the surface and concentrate on top. when the lake sets up later on i use the fish hawk td thats about 150.00.  its a simple drop down and up and scroll thru the depth temp ranges. its pretty quick with the downrigger, the temp you are looking for is rarely no more than 45 feet down so no real need to drop it deeper. then with the finder i highlight the depths too shallow to fish and work the edges.  not many places that im concerned about current speed at depth. i bang bottom so often theres no way i would want a probe down there continously

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.