FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maybe I'm too old for a kayak  (Read 5619 times)

fishinator

Re: Maybe I'm too old for a kayak
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2018, 01:13 PM »
My only question is why so many fishermen on this site don't have waterproof phones? It's been my #1 criteria for a smart phone for the past 3 I've got.
Ever fully submerge one? From my expierience, the speakers go out when they get wet. Along with refusing to charge due to "moisture detected in the charger port " I have found they aren't really water proof.

zwiggles

« Reply #16 on: Jun 26, 2018, 02:10 PM »
I’ve dunked my iPhone a few times without issue *knocks on wood*.

It’s only good for 10’ under I think, but heck I did it yesterday in a stream, and I am still posting with it now.

Now all they have to do is make one that is truly “drop resistant” and I’ll be all good. Currently my iPhone 7 Plus is just a small iPad since it is unable to make phone calls due to a shotty saulder on an internal component. Of course they have to send it off site to repair. Guess I’ll have to upgrade to the new X, and hopefully it lasts more than 18 months this time around.

westernmas

« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2018, 02:18 PM »
My only question is why so many fishermen on this site don't have waterproof phones? It's been my #1 criteria for a smart phone for the past 3 I've got.

Agreed or a a lifeproof case for $90 would save a lot of money in the long run.  I just upgraded to the Iphone 8 and made sure to get the lifeproof case.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

westernmas

« Reply #18 on: Jun 26, 2018, 02:20 PM »
Also I break down my paddle when getting out of a yak.  You can use the two ends of the paddle to pull or push the kayak onto the shore to get out.  Or for the sit on tops you can use the two ends of the paddle almost like two canes or crutches, just don't put too much weight on them.

My sit on top also has a rope that goes from the front handle of the kayak and ends at my feet.  You can pull on the rope to help pull yourself up from a seated position.  This sounds like something you may want to add to your setup.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2018, 02:50 PM »
Agreed or a a lifeproof case for $90 would save a lot of money in the long run.  I just upgraded to the Iphone 8 and made sure to get the lifeproof case.

My Samsung got ran over by several vehicles in a lifeproof case...lived!

taxid

« Reply #20 on: Jun 26, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Ever fully submerge one? From my expierience, the speakers go out when they get wet. Along with refusing to charge due to "moisture detected in the charger port " I have found they aren't really water proof.

Yeah I think the words are "water resistant."

My iPhone was hand me down from the wife. Just used it to take pictures. The other phone I bought another one of was "Jitterbug" that my  parents loaned me. I've resisted getting a cell phone as the landline seems to do just fine. I spend enough time on the computer I don't need another gadget although I may get one for emergencies or vacation though. Just pay for minutes.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2018, 06:51 AM »
A friend of mine had her phone in a lifeproof case and lost it in the ocean at Hampton Beach. The next morning at low tide they found it by calling her number. It was ringing!   8)
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Spider1

« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2018, 06:54 AM »
geez, I refuse to pay $600 for a phone. My son always upgrades to the next best i-thing-a-ma-jig but it isn't that important to me. I got an old hand me down android that does fine, got it from my grandson when I upgraded his phone. Cost me $50 and I pay $14 a month for all the txt and data I can use. It works and if I finally kill it for good, no big deal... I'll just upgrade the kid again and take his phone, lol!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #23 on: Jun 27, 2018, 07:48 AM »

Samsung S8. It's IPX8 waterproof.

lowaccord66

« Reply #24 on: Jun 27, 2018, 10:25 AM »

More times than I can count! 

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2018, 03:25 PM »
So...is the issue the wet phone or the wet kayaker?

My phone is always in a zip lock back.
I have yet to fall out of or spill from my kayak, but that's mostly luck and patience when out on the water.

As for exiting the kayak, I have a SOT and I will beach it before exiting. This is mainly to prevent it from floating away after my weight has been removed from the "cockpit".
I swing both legs over the shore side, and either brace with the paddle or roll over so that I am pushing up off the kayak to a standing position. I usually have a hand on each side to keep the kayak stable.

At 57 and after 4-6 hours on the yak, it feels real good to stretch my legs (and back) when I get back to shore.

Best bet is to try different exiting methods and see which suits you best.
(We may all have our own "health issues" that affect our kayaking, but only you can tell what works best.

Good luck and don't give up yet!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 2018, 04:00 PM »
Just to let everyone know I got out just fine last time. I took my crocks off, pulled my pant legs up, and actually stepped into the water. Seems to be the best way for me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MattyP123

« Reply #27 on: Jun 27, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Just to let everyone know I got out just fine last time. I took my crocks off, pulled my pant legs up, and actually stepped into the water. Seems to be the best way for me.
Kayaking is a water sport after all  8)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #28 on: Jun 27, 2018, 05:04 PM »
taxid, I have a sit on top kayak(Catch 120) and it has an elevated, comfortable chair. I swing my legs to the side of the kayak and stand up. In real shallow water I occasionally even use my paddle stabbed into the water bottom help pull myself up.

As for the cell phone... I only have a dumb phone and I keep it in a ziploc bag.  8)
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #29 on: Jun 27, 2018, 05:15 PM »
I have a video of my kayak, with a few mods, even the training wheels. It also shows how a decrepit old man fishes and gets out of his kayak.

KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.