FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Joining 2 lines - knot sticks in line guides  (Read 4834 times)

TheDL

Joining 2 lines - knot sticks in line guides
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:55 PM »
I've recently started using braid (10lb suffix 832) with flouro (14lb vanish) leaders on all my rigs - I've tried a few different knots suggested on here, and I feel I've got them down (uni-uni, blood knot) - they all come out looking just like the pics online, and look relatively small with the tag ends trimmed tight. 

However, the knot has a tendancy to "click" its way through the guides  on the retrieving, and sometimes it hangas up on the cast.  This causes foul ups in the braid backer, and I'm worried it might damage the line guide inserts, or cost me a big fish if it "clicks" through the guides when I'm bringing in a monster. :-\

Any tips on how to "streamline" the line-joining knots - or are there better knots?
tight lines....

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Re: Joining 2 lines - knot sticks in line guides
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:21 PM »
I use the flouro to braid connection alot, using a uni-knot.   You can't really completely eliminate knot hang-up but you can minimize it.   After I trim the ends of the knot down, I then roll the knot tightly between my fingers to streamline the cut ends.      One thing to look at is cutting the ends at an angle so that they "lay down" against the knot.

You could always coat the knots lightly in glue to hold the ends down, but that was always too much work for me.

TheDL

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:56 PM »
thanks for the tip BigRed - how long of a flouro leader do you use?  Do you wind it into your guides and cast like that?  Maybe my leader is just too long - I'm using anywhere from 1' -> 4' leader?  You notice the knot damaging your guides at all?
tight lines....

KingPerch

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:37 PM »
I use the flouro to braid connection alot, using a uni-knot.   You can't really completely eliminate knot hang-up but you can minimize it.   After I trim the ends of the knot down, I then roll the knot tightly between my fingers to streamline the cut ends.      One thing to look at is cutting the ends at an angle so that they "lay down" against the knot.

You could always coat the knots lightly in glue to hold the ends down, but that was always too much work for me.
Use super glue to glue the uni knot after trimming the tag ends, the dried glue will help the knot glide thru the guides a little easier!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

TheDL

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:15 PM »
yeah, maybe I'll try that KingPerch.  You just put a drop on it, or try to smooth over the knot with the glue??

what's a good leader length?  I'm wondering if most people put one long enough (18" +)  that they reel it in through the guides and have to deal with it on the cast ???
tight lines....

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40 AM »
thanks for the tip BigRed - how long of a flouro leader do you use?  Do you wind it into your guides and cast like that?  Maybe my leader is just too long - I'm using anywhere from 1' -> 4' leader?  You notice the knot damaging your guides at all?

I mainly use the braid/flouro setup with swimbaits and senkos.   My leader is usually about 18"-24".  I haven't noticed any guide damage.

KingPerch

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:14 PM »
yeah, maybe I'll try that KingPerch.  You just put a drop on it, or try to smooth over the knot with the glue??

what's a good leader length?  I'm wondering if most people put one long enough (18" +)  that they reel it in through the guides and have to deal with it on the cast ???
Yes! and...YES!! ;D--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:11 PM »
I usually use the same type of join as KingPerch and bigredfishing if I am going for  walleye or anything else but pike. {Pike get a steel or titanium leader tied directly to the line} 

For my setup I like to add  4 - 5 feet of fluorocarbon leader to my rigs.

I did see a neat way of tying leaders the other day on Getting Schooled with JP DeRose.
He said he joins his leaders with 2 loop" type" knots,{not exactly loop knots} one on the braid and one on the leader.
He then slips one loop through the other and the 2 are joined.
He said it's a tough connection that hold up well and slips through the rod guides.
If the leader is too damaged or gets too short he just detaches it and puts on a new leader, with out having to re tie the braid again.

It looks like a good way of tying the 2 together. :)

Did anyone else see that episode?

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

TheDL

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:25 AM »
I did see a neat way of tying leaders the other day on Getting Schooled with JP DeRose.
He said he joins his leaders with 2 loop" type" knots,{not exactly loop knots} one on the braid and one on the leader.
He then slips one loop through the other and the 2 are joined.
He said it's a tough connection that hold up well and slips through the rod guides.
If the leader is too damaged or gets too short he just detaches it and puts on a new leader, with out having to re tie the braid again.

It looks like a good way of tying the 2 together. :)

Did anyone else see that episode?
w
WW
yep I saw that, seems like a good idea, only I'm not sure how strong it would be, the line on line contact with no extra loops or anything seems like a weak single stress point. 
tight lines....

slipperybob

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 02:00 PM »
I do three to five feet leaders a lot and there isn't going to be any issues with line guide damage.  In fact the knot will probably fail on you so you will have to retie the knot every now and then.  30# mono on 30# braid line join goes through my line guides just fine on the baitcasting equipment.  I tyically don't do more than 10# mono on my spinning outfit.  For my catfishing rigs it's different because the line guides are a lot larger.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

stripernut

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56 PM »
For fresh water if I use a leader it's much shorter and stays out side the guides. For saltwater When I want a long leader that "Slides" though the guide I use the loop to loop knot. On the Mono/floro side I make up wind-on leaders, by sliding the mono/Floro up inside some hollow core braid for a few feet and blind splice a loop on the other end. On the braided side I tie a Bimini Twist, a very slim knot that never hangs up and is stronger than the line. I loop them together and I know that it will not break!
I there a reason you need the longer leader?
Tight Lines,
Allan

TheDL

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 10:37 AM »
Allan - nope all freshwater here.  I am only using the leader to reduce line visibility at the bait for line shy walleyes, and ideally providing a little protection against pike teeth if I happan to hook one.  I am using about a 2 ft leader these days, for some reason and I seem to be doing a little better with the knot size/strength lately b/c I haven't had a break off in a while and I've put the 14lb flouo "leader" (just flouro line) thorugh quite a pounding lately including bigger fish, toothy fish and dragging through cover.
tight lines....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.