FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling motor wire extension?  (Read 17861 times)

Catfish78

Trolling motor wire extension?
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:15 AM »
I just got a new Minn-Kota transom mount trolling motor and I would like to extend the power cable another 4' to put the battery in the middle of the boat. My question is, do I replace the entire cable or splice into the end of the current wire with extension wires? I know that I have to use the right size wire for the length of the run, that is why I am not sure if I should replace the whole thing or not.

Thanks in advanced.

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Trolling motor wire extension?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I would say just replace the line with 1 cable. If you see the power supply connection to the actual motor is solderd into a chip card then splice it. You don't want to fool with those chip cards too much.  At this point I would solder the two together don't use crimp connectors here. Then use shrink tube to seal the connections. Much the same at the battery connections. Use either Brass or Copper battery ends and solder them in place. If you have a hard time finding them make your own connectors from copper tubeing. Solder wire in place and hammer one end down closing the end then drill proper hole for battery post.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

BBK

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Cut and splice  new wires where the old ones end. Make sure its the same gauge and you have a good connection, seal it all with heat shrink tubing.

Catfish78

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:53 AM »
thanks guys

jopes

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:04 PM »
Cut and splice  new wires where the old ones end. Make sure its the same gauge and you have a good connection, seal it all with heat shrink tubing.

actually I do believe Minn Kota says to use 6 gauge if you need to extend the power leads and you should have it protected with a circuit breaker.

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:01 AM »
something thats worked for me is to install an outlet to the back of the boat and run heavier wires to the battery, all my accessories i put plugs on, trolling motor, down rigger, jigging boxes. makes setup quick and simple, just plug it in.

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2011, 08:14 PM »
ProMariner sell extensions for that, easy to install and not much money. BassPro sometimes has them, or check with ProMariner they are only in Portsmouth NH.

Catfish78

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2011, 12:46 AM »
ProMariner sell extensions for that, easy to install and not much money. BassPro sometimes has them, or check with ProMariner they are only in Portsmouth NH.

Maybe tough as I live in Finland.  ;D ;D I wish I could talk my wife into letting me fly back state side to visit Bass Pro. Wish in one hand and **it in the other.  ;)

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2011, 07:17 AM »
You could use 6 gage welding cable from an electrical supplier. They 'd also have the splices and lugs to connect to the battery. They make both compression (crimped, need tool) and mechanical splices and lugs that you can use a screwdriver to tighten.

Catfish78

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2011, 08:43 AM »
Thanks guys. I will go with the 6 gauge to be on the safe side. Will let you know how it goes in a few weeks. Unfortunately that is how long it will be before I get back to the lake  :'(

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Is this a 24 volt trolling motor? If it is you'll be fine with 10 gauge. I bought a cheap set of 12' battery jumper cables. Actually cost less than buying the same length of just the wire.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.