FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625876 times)

Bartman44

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3945 on: Jan 04, 2021, 05:14 PM »
You've perfected the custom bobber. The bobber box is even better.  Thinking I like the 4th from the left with the blue feathers the best but all are well done!   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3946 on: Jan 04, 2021, 06:08 PM »
Those are blue jay feathers with small kingfisher back plumes at the base.....gifted to me by a now deceased friend. A part of his Grandfather’s fly tying collection. Those feathers could be older than me. Wish he was still around. I’d have loved to give him a couple bobbers. I made him several fly rods over the years and a couple spinning rods. He was different, but we connected somehow.

My son and his (partner) are setting up a craft for sale website. I’m thinking of putting some of the stuff I make on it. Anyway, I’m going to keep at this project for a while. There’s still some perfecting to do.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3947 on: Jan 05, 2021, 02:43 PM »
Decided to split the bobber operation into two areas. After putting away all the Christmas decorations, I went after my fly tying room which has been badly neglected since ....a long time. Got it straightened out and I moved the finish portion of the bobber operation up there. It’s a dust free environment with lots of natural light. Should be very good for wrapping and finishing. I’ll do the roughing and turning in the shop where some dust can be a fact of life.

It also gets me back to the fly tying bench.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3948 on: Jan 06, 2021, 07:41 PM »
Them are some very nice bobbers RG

iceman260

« Reply #3949 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:16 AM »
Those bobbers are works of art,the gift boxes set should be a great seller.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3950 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:47 AM »
Thanks everyone. I’m still deciding where to go with this project. Yesterday I worked on a second “Little Dipper” to accurately paint the tops of some more standard style bobbers. I’ve been using my large drill press to lower the tops into different paints and it works perfectly. But, I’m not going to move my drill press into my hobby room.

There’s other types I want to make as well. Avon style, slip bobbers and drift floats. I’m researching plastic tubing and stem material that’s appropriate.

It’ll get there.
Rg

kc

« Reply #3951 on: Jan 07, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Rgfixit I have bought some carbon fiber rods from fleabay to use on the drift floats I have made. Unfortunately mine do not look any where as good as yours.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3952 on: Jan 07, 2021, 06:37 PM »
Love to see a pic of yours. Not really sure what works well. Any advice is appreciated.

Rg

kc

« Reply #3953 on: Jan 08, 2021, 10:36 AM »

These were more for practice than anything else. Made from pine and black walnut.
I have a good size block of balsa wood for the next time I get the lathe out.
The carbon fiber rod is laying at the side of the floats. Two small pieces of surgical tubing holds the line in place. Just the way commercial floats are done.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3954 on: Jan 08, 2021, 11:10 AM »
Look good KC..   Steelhead bobbers ?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3955 on: Jan 08, 2021, 02:24 PM »
I like them! What’s the weight?

Been studying up on what others use. The European’s are very...very....very particular about their setups. I’ve seen half a dozen methods used in the states. What  I’m trying to figure out is which float setup is sort of universal so I can design a float to meet that need.

Any help is appreciated.

That said, I turned a dozen or so blanks today to test out the new system. These are all hand turned and therefore each an individual. But, they all have to be finished in basically the same manner. I’m hoping I can develop  an adaptive system.

Rg

kc

« Reply #3956 on: Jan 08, 2021, 04:21 PM »
Look good KC..   Steelhead bobbers ?

Thanks.
Yes but, they are too heavy.
Will do the next batch with my balsa wood

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3957 on: Jan 10, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Got things pretty well settled upstairs.

Feel more comfortable with this kind of work at the fly bench.

Rg

iceman260

« Reply #3958 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:08 AM »
Very nice set up Rg a lot of work went into those fixtures.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3959 on: Jan 12, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Thanks. Sometimes I feel like a mad scientist.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.