FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle
This board sponsored by
Please visit out sponsor FishUSA.com

Author Topic: Clarion River float trip  (Read 3673 times)

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

Clarion River float trip
« on: Apr 28, 2022, 02:54 PM »
Planning a multi-day float trip on the middle section of the Clarion River after Memorial Day this year. Has anybody done it before?

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

Re: Clarion River float trip
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 02:02 PM »
Plans are coming together!

We’ve decided to put in at Portland Mills Canoe launch (river mile 85) and take out at the Mill Creek boat launch (river mile 37)  Gonna float 48 miles in 3 days. Should give us plenty of time for fishing....................

KayakSpartan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Plans are coming together!

We’ve decided to put in at Portland Mills Canoe launch (river mile 85) and take out at the Mill Creek boat launch (river mile 37)  Gonna float 48 miles in 3 days. Should give us plenty of time for fishing....................

Sounds like a good trip.  48 miles seems like a lot of paddling.  Is there a decent current that will keep you moving?  Are you camping on islands or designated campsites?  Enjoy. 

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 08:27 AM »
Actually, this time of year the flow is 3-4 mph so it shouldn’t be a lot of paddling. We plan to fish most of the way, so it will probably be more floating than paddling.

Here’s a video that shows some of the river.................

[/youtube]

KayakSpartan

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 08:40 AM »
Actually, this time of year the flow is 3-4 mph so it shouldn’t be a lot of paddling. We plan to fish most of the way, so it will probably be more floating than paddling.

Here’s a video that shows some of the river.................

[/youtube]
Should be a great trip.  Be sure to fill us in on the adventure when you get back. 

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 08:47 AM »
Will do! We’re planning the trip around the designated campsites, but if we find one along the way that we like that’s not marked on the map, we might stay there.

Starting to get excited as I get all the gear together....................

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2022, 09:31 PM »
Well, water was very low for this time of year, and the weather wasn’t ideal, but we had a great trip!  8)

We had to alter our plans a few times, but that usually happens.............

Got a late start so we paddled for 4 hrs and only made it 8 miles. Was hoping to float more and fish on the way down, but couldn’t take the time. This was shortly after we pushed off.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2022, 12:57 AM »
I was floating thru some VERY shallow rapids 2 miles into the trip when I looked down into the crystal clear water and saw a fishing rod underneath the surface and I grabbed it as I was floating by. It was a 6’ Ugly Stick that was snagged on something. I wasn’t able to free it so I cut the line and kept going...................

That evening we found a great campsite and pulled over and made camp for the night. Somebody must use it regularly because it was stocked with firewood and extra cook grates and had clothesline strung up for tarps.  8)

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2022, 01:06 AM »
The next morning we ate breakfast and then packed up and got going. The forecast was for strong thunderstorms later in the afternoon so our plan was to get as far as we could and then get off the river in time to set up before the conditions got bad.

Just after we passed this bridge I must have briefly got cell reception because I started getting texts on my phone. Before I could respond though, I had “NO SERVICE.”  :-\

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2022, 01:17 AM »
One of the texts was from my buddy who lived fairly local who was planning to pick us up the next day and drive us back to my car. He said: “storms moving in from the West............not looking good!”

So we decided to cut the trip short and call for pickup at a downstream canoe launch. Luckily I had my InReach because my cell phone was basically useless for communication for all but about 50’ of the trip!  ::)

I was able to get a message to my buddy and have him meet us at one of the pre-determined launches if we had to cut the trip short.

We got there early so we beached the kayaks and did some wading from shore.

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2022, 01:27 AM »
As we were pulling in to the launch I saw what I thought was a dead sucker floating belly up in the water. When I got closer I realized it was a nice Golden Rainbow.................but of course it swam away beforeI could get my rod in the water.  :o

After we beached, I thought I noticed a fish rising and gulp something on the surface in some slack water upstream, so I threw my Mepps spinfly lure at it and hooked a brookie on my first cast! 😲

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2022, 01:36 AM »
We got to fish for about an hour while waiting for pickup but only hooked into one more fish. Good thing we decided to play it safe because while we were eating dinner at a local restaurant, the storms rolled in and caused some damage! Torrential rain and strong winds left tree limbs and debris littering the roads! Some flooding of the roadways too.

We only made it 18 miles this time, but decided to come back next year and finish the remaining 30 miles. Hopefully the river will be higher and we can float fish more!

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2022, 01:47 AM »
The scenery was outstanding and I can see why this was PA River of the year in 2019!

KayakSpartan

« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2022, 06:57 PM »
Looks like you had a good time, in spite of the low water.   I had major storm damage at my house on June 1 and just got internet back today.  So I finally got to read your report.  Enjoyed your pics.  I’m heading to the Adirondacks for a week Saturday for some kayak fishing on a couple of lakes. 

‘Ol Snakebite (RuttNutt)

« Reply #14 on: Jul 05, 2022, 09:16 AM »
Yep- had a great time!

Sorry to hear about your storm damage! 😩

Hope you had a good Adirondack trip!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.