FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Early morning vs late afternoon  (Read 4417 times)

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
Early morning vs late afternoon
« on: Mar 18, 2004, 01:30 PM »
How many of us prefer trolling early morning as opposed to later in the day.  I usually head out pretty early and do well the first hour, then it dies for awhile and then picks up again.  I have also gone out late and done ok.  Of course there have been days where the success has not been consistent with time and other days when we were just "washing lures! " ;D  I feel alot of other factors come into play, like weather (wind, rain, overcast, sunny) and also boat traffic (spooking).  What do you guys think?

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
Re: Early morning vs late afternoon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2004, 02:06 PM »
I like the afternoon bite when its cold and the mornig bite when things start warming up.

kingfshr16

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2004, 02:27 PM »
I agree w/ you baginwal, we always troll really early, and it seems on days when it is overcast, raining, windy when there is less boats that the fishign is actually better,could the wind make the  baitfish school more?? and feel safer? just a thought.

baginwal

• MFF Mod Team
  • No Politics Just Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Kingfshr16:  I am good friends with a charter captain who is usually booked from May to Sept and he and I agree with you that the baitfish probably school more during bad weather.  Unless the lakes too rough or i see lightning you can count on me trolling every chance I get! ;D

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Morning bite for sure. The afternoon(evening) bite can be there but gets over quick. Some waters you can only fish 1 hour after sunset. :)
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

SALMOTRUTTA

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Early morning.There in the kitchen and the water hasn't been disturbed by the pleasure boaters.

Little Brown Dog

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2004, 06:52 AM »
I'm an early mornin fan.  Nice and quiet out on the lake.  Around here the water skiers and wakeboarders come out and stir things up all afternoon.

Smelt1

• Born to fish,forced to work!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2004, 08:11 AM »
Early morning for sure.Get up before the knuckleheads hit the water.Well known fact though is that fish go into a feeding blitz just prior to a low front moving in so I'm definatly out fishing in the rain.In fact my best day of catching fish was in a light drizzly,foggy type of day when my boy and I caught and released 127 salmon in a 4 hour period. We could'nt even get the boat in forward before we had another fish on. So now I'll allways fish the low presure fronts.
Bubba

cam

« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2004, 10:06 PM »
I find trolling the best from a half hour before dark until 10:30 or when ever they shut off.
I like trollng in the afternoon because it just gets better for the species of fish i catch like walleye/small mouth/lagre moth bass I like to use a perch color Hot n tot they seem to wark the best for me  ;D ;D ;)

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13, 2004, 05:24 PM »
I agree w/ you baginwal, we always troll really early, and it seems on days when it is overcast, raining, windy when there is less boats that the fishign is actually better,could the wind make the  baitfish school more?? and feel safer? just a thought.

The wind picks up all the flies, or most of them, and puts them on the shore where the wind is blowing to. (wind blows them there) The little fish know this, and go to eat the flies. The big fish know this and go to eat the little fish. Fishing into the harsh wind, although uncomfortable and short casting, can be the best because of this concentration.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Im not much into trolling, but I perfer the afternoon evening bite. its great to be on the lake as it cools off and watching the sun go down. perfect

Kodiak Commando

• Check your fly
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Really i don't notice a difference up here when trolling for salmon. We usually head out early to troll for salmon and then drop lines for halibut till the evening when the salmon fishing pics up. It doesn't seem that one is better than the other.
I've never been to heaven, but i have fished  in  Alaska.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.