FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I'm baffled on trailer wiring  (Read 4323 times)

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
Re: I'm baffled on trailer wiring
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Taxid, I had the same thing happen to me, turn signals are reversed? Bought a new truck, plugged it in and everything worked fine? May want to check the vehicle... wiring/harness?
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

taxid

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 12:03 PM »
Bart,

I don't think it's the vehicle harness because the turn signals on the boat trailer aren't reversed when I hooked that trailer up. 

Anyway, all is good now which is the most important thing. Will be using this small utility trailer it to haul my kayak on vacation in a few weeks.

Friends says the toll road extra charge for a trailer is going to kill ya, you should have put the kayak on the roof of your car.

Problem is the SUV did not come with crossbars installed, so I'd have to buy them and then buy and install a kayak mount on that. At least $350.00 not including my labor. And the reviews on the only crossbars made for my model Saturn Vue are terrible.  For one thing the bolts are too long. And instructions are worthless.

I prefer not to lift the kayak on and off the roof of the vehicle as it's not a light one. But may go with a roof mount later. 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigal409

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 12:13 PM »

No joke . My buddy passed this set up on the NYS Thruway. Guess the guy didn't want to pay the extra toll.  :laugh:

taxid

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 12:26 PM »

No joke . My buddy passed this set up on the NYS Thruway. Guess the guy didn't want to pay the extra toll.  :laugh:

Holy Batman!  I wonder how much lower that made his mileage though? And what happens if the winds are strong? Or he runs into a lower overpass? If I was a LEO I would pull him over for his safety and the safety of others!

I saw something worse at a rest stop in Indiana once. Massive plywood box on top of a small vehicle. Base covered the entire roof of the car And they had it attached with bungee cords running over the top and trough the windows!  :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I remember thinking there is no way in hell I'm getting behind that car. I need to get out on the road ahead of it STAT!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 12:31 PM »
When building my log home my contractor sent my wife to pick up a full size mirror thinking it would fit in the car. Wife shows up with it attached to the roof with string! Not in a box either! And it was in one piece!

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Bart,

I don't think it's the vehicle harness because the turn signals on the boat trailer aren't reversed when I hooked that trailer up. 

Anyway, all is good now which is the most important thing. Will be using this small utility trailer it to haul my kayak on vacation in a few weeks.

Friends says the toll road extra charge for a trailer is going to kill ya, you should have put the kayak on the roof of your car.

Problem is the SUV did not come with crossbars installed, so I'd have to buy them and then buy and install a kayak mount on that. At least $350.00 not including my labor. And the reviews on the only crossbars made for my model Saturn Vue are terrible.  For one thing the bolts are too long. And instructions are worthless.

I prefer not to lift the kayak on and off the roof of the vehicle as it's not a light one. But may go with a roof mount later.

Cool, glad to hear it is all working. I haven't taken a toll road in years...  at my age and condition, I'm not lifting a kayak on and off the roof of a vehicle. That trailer sounds nice to me, I'd pay a couple extra dollars or avoid toll roads. I have a truck with a bed extender, my kayak is 79lbs so it is pretty easy on me. Good fishing!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

taxid

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 04:42 PM »

Cool, glad to hear it is all working. I haven't taken a toll road in years...  at my age and condition, I'm not lifting a kayak on and off the roof of a vehicle. That trailer sounds nice to me, I'd pay a couple extra dollars or avoid toll roads. I have a truck with a bed extender, my kayak is 79lbs so it is pretty easy on me. Good fishing!

Thanks Bart. Good fishing to you too.

dukhnter8

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 06:33 AM »
If the vehicle is still not correct check the wiring on it.
Wife had a Chevy Colorado years ago that had a plug in connector. The one that you unhook part of a harness in the back by the spare tire, then plug that in and there is the 4 pin trailer connector. That thing would short out every few years, lights would be all crazy. Had to buy a new one then they would be fine. Salt must have got to it, no amount of cleaning it or dielectric grease would help it.

taxid

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 06:52 AM »
If the vehicle is still not correct check the wiring on it.
Wife had a Chevy Colorado years ago that had a plug in connector. The one that you unhook part of a harness in the back by the spare tire, then plug that in and there is the 4 pin trailer connector. That thing would short out every few years, lights would be all crazy. Had to buy a new one then they would be fine. Salt must have got to it, no amount of cleaning it or dielectric grease would help it.

The vehicle wiring is fine. As indicated the lights work fine on the boat trailer so it's not the vehicle.

That said utility trailer lights are fine now too by switching the green and yellow wire.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #24 on: Jun 06, 2019, 08:19 AM »

What the...

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #25 on: Jun 06, 2019, 08:41 AM »

Nah, he just forgot the ball mount for the trailer hitch...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.