FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Black Black Crappie  (Read 1873 times)

bigr

Black Black Crappie
« on: May 14, 2020, 05:38 AM »
Caught some crappie last evening that were the blackest black crappie I've ever seen. This is a natural lake that has darker water. The crappie normally spawn late in this lake and that certainly seems to be the case this year but I think the males moved up a few weeks ago and have just been holding there dark spawning colors longer than normal. Anyone one else seeing this. Brought home seven that weighed 11.10 lbs. That's the bag limit for most crappie tourneys so I always like to keep that many to see how I would fair. My largest seven fish limit topped 16lbs from this same public lake. Females still a few days away from dropping eggs. This weekend might be it for any chance of breaking 16lb limit.   

chicagill34

Re: Black Black Crappie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 07:19 AM »
I haven't caught any dark males personally but seen some pics off forums that were caught in Busco and some other lakes.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 10:12 AM »
As you are aware it's know as sexual dimorphism during spawning time and I've seen some really black ones too.  Seems like the biggest males get the darkest? It appears with the late spring the females weren't ready yet but the males are?  Maybe the males are hanging out in their spawning colors until the females are ready?

I mounted one so black once for a customer it didn't need to be painted! Easiest fish I ever mounted! After built up the shrinkage on the top of the head and throat I pretty much just glossed it!

On a funny note was watching a fishing show and when they caught a dark White Crappie male they were calling it a black crappie.

I'm like yelling at the TV. NO! NO! NO!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 10:38 AM »
I got some dark ones last week.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 10:57 AM »
I got some dark ones last week.

I saw that! Nice fish!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Spooled85

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 11:12 AM »
I had 65.7 last night and it was on fire ! It's in now females moved in and the bite was on !

1james11

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 02:22 PM »
North East corner just hit 60 yesterday.

Spooled85

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 03:37 PM »
North

Krh76

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 05:59 AM »
I think shallower water with structure is the ticket right now. Or at least pre rain. Was on the Salamonie Saturday and a bit yesterday and caught a few in 10 ft of water or less.  Fiancé pulled in a nice one and commented on how dark it was

indianahooker

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Caught some crappie last evening that were the blackest black crappie I've ever seen. This is a natural lake that has darker water. The crappie normally spawn late in this lake and that certainly seems to be the case this year but I think the males moved up a few weeks ago and have just been holding there dark spawning colors longer than normal. Anyone one else seeing this. Brought home seven that weighed 11.10 lbs. That's the bag limit for most crappie tourneys so I always like to keep that many to see how I would fair. My largest seven fish limit topped 16lbs from this same public lake. Females still a few days away from dropping eggs. This weekend might be it for any chance of breaking 16lb limit.

you better enter next time then big R!!!!  most of those tourneys only bring in 5-6pound sacks on those reservoirs.  thousands of dinks up there.  I was at 2 of those weigh-ins and the locals had twice the bag weight as "the pros".  haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.