FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: November...Changeble Weather and Fishing Patterns  (Read 3019 times)

taxid

Re: November...Changeble Weather and Fishing Patterns
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:26 AM »
Thanks for the nice photo of the Seeforellen!   Yes, they certainly do look much less colorful than the brown strains that have been stocked here.  The IF&W study said that the Seeforellens may be slower growing initially (Year 1).  They might only be around 8" as fall yearlings, so we could lose those 12-14" stockings in the fall that we're used to.

The trout in the picture is not completely seeforelln though.

BTW there's a misconception out there.  People think Seeforellen is Sea Trout in German. It's actually a brown trout that lives in lakes.  See[/i] in German means lake.  The word for sea in German is Meer as they also have a brown trout they call Meerforelln that lives part of it's life cycle in the Sea.

As you know late maturing fish have the potential of reaching larger size as they don't put energy into gonadal development early on. My tiger trout also grow slower initially but catch up and surpass the other trout species. Oddly the females seem to be the fastest growers.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2020, 08:43 AM »
I'm glad you brought up the "lake" connection.  As mentioned, the Maine field studies focused on performance there.  A potential bright side I can see is a potential bump in lake run fish into tribs, although many of these are closed to fishing after 9/30.

The trout in the picture is not completely seeforelln though.

BTW there's a misconception out there.  People think Seeforellen is Sea Trout in German. It's actually a brown trout that lives in lakes.  See[/i] in German means lake.  The word for sea in German is Meer as they also have a brown trout they call Meerforelln that lives part of it's life cycle in the Sea.

As you know late maturing fish have the potential of reaching larger size as they don't put energy into gonadal development early on. My tiger trout also grow slower initially but catch up and surpass the other trout species. Oddly the females seem to be the fastest growers.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #17 on: Dec 08, 2020, 04:26 PM »
Jim - thank you for another stellar post.   Seems once again you crossed paths with some beautiful fish during your adventures!

I'm far from an expert on the success, or lack thereof, of species throughout the state, however, I've been hearing others having more frequent success with sea-run browns recently.  As you're aware, I happened to be lucky enough to hook into one this year and if I can land one then that must be a promising sign!  Might there be any correlation between that and decreased activity, at least as it relates to rivers that are stocked?

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 08, 2020, 06:58 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

I remember that sea run brown you picked up.  Quite an accomplishment.....don't sell yourself short.  A fair number of browns have been stocked over the years in the lower reaches of Southern Maine rivers, and the sea runs my be gaining momentum.  Maybe seeforellens will have even more wanderlust than other strains and the phenomenon will increase further.  Time will tell.

Jim - thank you for another stellar post.   Seems once again you crossed paths with some beautiful fish during your adventures!

I'm far from an expert on the success, or lack thereof, of species throughout the state, however, I've been hearing others having more frequent success with sea-run browns recently.  As you're aware, I happened to be lucky enough to hook into one this year and if I can land one then that must be a promising sign!  Might there be any correlation between that and decreased activity, at least as it relates to rivers that are stocked?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.