FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I went fishing!  (Read 2369 times)

zwiggles

I went fishing!
« on: Aug 06, 2018, 12:50 PM »
And we caught a nice fish!

Myself and two friends hit up the big lake yesterday. Lots of action before 7am including that salmo and a 15” rainbow that was fat:

Flies and lead ore were the ticket today.5-7 colors of lead. Also got one rock bass at 70’ down, and a nice smallmouth on the riggers. Three fish in the boat before 7am, and then a bunch of short strikes until 730 then it died hard.

The salmo was destined for the grill as we just couldn’t revive it after the long fight. It had probably 200 yoy smelt in its belly, and probably 500 corn kernel husks in it. I say husks because they were all wrinkled up as if the fish was able to process the inside, but not the skin. Never seen a salmon with corn in it, and I’m assuming it was from last winter. I was surprised it was still eating well, but this probably contributed to the stress on the fish.

The boat launch was a joke, but it was nice to be out again!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: I went fishing!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 01:24 PM »
Nice work Zach!

Both FAT fish right there.
Wicked Wec

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 01:44 PM »
Nice job Z...      :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2018, 01:48 PM »

Well done 👍🏻 Enjoy the feast

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Nice fish zwiggles but I don't think the corn would still have been there after last winter. In fact corn gets though pretty fast and intact just like people.  ;D

Sounds to me like someone is night fishing with lights and chumming with corn.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Nice fish zwiggles but I don't think the corn would still have been there after last winter. In fact corn gets though pretty fast and intact just like people.  ;D

Sounds to me like someone is night fishing with lights and chumming with corn.

It was corn. My understanding is that corn does not pass through trout nearly as well as it does us. The “husks” were definitely y intact.

Night fishing with lights is illegal in NH, but I know a bunch of people chum through the ice with corn here. I’ve seen a can or twos worth in an old hole.

Anyway here is the “gut shot”.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2018, 05:40 PM »
It was corn. My understanding is that corn does not pass through trout nearly as well as it does us. The “husks” were definitely y intact.

Night fishing with lights is illegal in NH, but I know a bunch of people chum through the ice with corn here. I’ve seen a can or twos worth in an old hole.

Anyway here is the “gut shot”.

Just can't believe they would stay that long.

Maybe someone is chumming in the daytime or someone does't care if it's illegal.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Maybe, but I mean you have been here. No one in New England really gives a hoot about panfish. There’s trophy gills in every big lake around here for a reason.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Wow, that sure does look like a lot of corn. Crazy!

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Nice trip Z.  Glad you guys hooked up!  Cecil he's right its panfish mania out here.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2018, 10:30 PM »
Nice trip Z.  Glad you guys hooked up!  Cecil he's right its panfish mania out here.

Oh I know from personal experience. Just the opposite out here. They hit the panfish really hard and sadly there is no limit and it shows.

Jack1972

« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Zwiggles been out on MM at all this year?

zwiggles

« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Zwiggles been out on MM at all this year?

No, I keep trying to talk my group into going if for nothing other than change of pace. It’s usually a lot quieter then Winni, but the fishing just isn’t on par when you have a large group. I’ve always caught “nice” fish there, but always very few. That and I’ve done everything on that lake from trying to drift into the dam, losing a break line on our truck, to sending my chisel to the bottom of the lake... I hope to try it out before the year ends.

Jack1972

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Yeah you're not missing much. I caught two Lakers early June, that's about it. I've tried trolling & jigging throughout the whole lake.  At least the sunrise view is spectacular...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.