FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Missouri State Record Crappie. 5 lbs.!  (Read 10214 times)

taxid

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

flockshot

• the official "shirt" of MIRC
Re: New Missouri State Record Crappie. 5 lbs.!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 01:33 PM »
that thing is a tank!!!!
team MI!!! MIRC CHAPTER MEMBER
"Rockbass are great..but the meats a little soft."

Pikeguy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 01:36 PM »
I agree it's huge...just doesn't look like it could be 5 lbs. I've got a 5 pound bass on the wall that is flat out way bigger  :-\  But i've been wrong before ;D

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 01:39 PM »
That is one monster crappie. :o
What was the old record?
I wish I had crappie in my area they look like a blast for fish for.

WW

flockshot

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 01:44 PM »
I agree it's huge...just doesn't look like it could be 5 lbs. I've got a 5 pound bass on the wall that is flat out way bigger  :-\  But i've been wrong before ;D

you know..your right pikeguy..i dont doubt it..but a five pound bass is what..21 inches...with a fat belly...that fish doesnt seem like it would wiegh five pounds...but...ive never seen a crappie that big..so i imagine it is really that wieght.lol

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:48 PM »
That is one monster crappie. :o
What was the old record?
I wish I had crappie in my area they look like a blast for fish for.

WW

according to the article the old record was 4.5 lbs and it says the D.O.C. has verified the fish as the new state record at 5.02 lbs. what a beast.it also says  he donated the fish to bass pro shops still alive, and they will eventually display it at the BPS in Springfield
Scotty 

fishbio824

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 01:50 PM »
no way. not five pounds , nice one though

flockshot

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 01:54 PM »
kept it alive and donated it..what a helluva guy..i know that would be hard to do..i let almost everything i catch go..and im pretty sure id be to selfish to let that thing go anywhere but my wall.

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 01:57 PM »
kept it alive and donated it..what a helluva guy..i know that would be hard to do..i let almost everything i catch go..and im pretty sure id be to selfish to let that thing go anywhere but my wall.

i wouldnt be surprised if he was compensated for his "donation"...maybe a little trade     :laugh:
Scotty 

flockshot

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 02:02 PM »
i used to work at bass pro detroit...money was  never paid for fish in the aquarium..its against the law for a private citizen to collect money for the sale of wild game....but i do konw that if you catch a state record fish..bass pro will have a 2 replicas made for free...one for you ..and one for your home states store.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:06 PM »

Pikeguy,

Pictures can be deceiving. I believe the picture makes it look smaller than it is. Think about it... Look at the fish in relation to the width of his shoulders. It's pretty darn near the width of his shoulders!  

I seriously doubt the state fish and game would overestimate the weight of a fish. A crappie is much wider than a bass too. She is probably full of eggs in addtion.

I've done a couple of 17 inchers that were over 3 lbs. You would be surprised at how much weight an inch or two adds to a fish.  Also be aware this fish was probably measured on a board for state record status. If it was measured with tape measure over the the top like many anglers do it would probably measure a good 20 inches or more.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 02:09 PM »
i used to work at bass pro detroit...money was  never paid for fish in the aquarium..its against the law for a private citizen to collect money for the sale of wild game....but i do konw that if you catch a state record fish..bass pro will have a 2 replicas made for free...one for you ..and one for your home states store.

You are absolutely right. I deal with this every week as I sell gamefish from my private ponds to other taxidermists. I have to have various permits to show my fish did not come out of public waters.

Pikeguy

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 02:10 PM »
I'm not saying it isn't 5 lbs. Just didn't look it. I was looking at it again a few minutes ago, and unless his hands are pretty small, that fish has got a big circumference at the tail  :o

Nickp

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 02:19 PM »
Its a friggin chunker- its flat too hsi body unlike half the people here who hold that 2 pound bass 1 inch from the camera to make it look 3 pounds bigger

Its a big fish- his finger is probably 3/4-1in wide and thats alot of length and girth on that fish- the tail is straight FAT

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Thats a heck of a crappie but I just have trouble seeing it as being 5lbs.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.