FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513017 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #2955 on: Jun 18, 2019, 06:57 AM »
It's all finished. Haven't really looked at in a couple months. I think my son is going to take it to his house. When we get ready to move it we'll do a video.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #2956 on: Jun 20, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Well, after telling myself no more major projects after I gutted and rebuilt a new kitchen, I gutted my garden last fall because it was getting ratty. This spring I said "What was I thinking?" so I began a rebuild with time  and my aging body against me sacrificing nights and several "fishing weekends" but somehow I actually got it done in time to  plant some vegetables. New beds, new soil, new fence with gate, what seemed like  tons of stone- very demanding but in the end it looks like we'll have some veggies this year. OK, no more major projects for this guy.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2957 on: Jun 20, 2019, 08:02 PM »
Very nice Bart. Never stop moving!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2958 on: Jun 21, 2019, 05:03 AM »
Looks awesome Bart.
It's not just a garden its eye candy.. ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #2959 on: Jun 21, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Very nice set up!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2960 on: Jun 21, 2019, 06:51 AM »
Started some Brussels sprouts seeds tha other day. They're already showing leaves. Think I'm going to set them in my 1 gallon buckets then trans plant them th the garlic bed later on.

Been after the red squirrels with the live trap. Caught a couple. This morning I found a rat in the trap. Glad I caught the little rodent. He'll be dispatched in a little bit. Had one a couple years ago that decided to take up residence in my front planting. It was hard to get rid of.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2961 on: Jun 22, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Changed gears a little on the sprouts. I cleared some radishes from the trough planter and set some seed in an egg carton to get them started. The seeds I started in damp paper towel grew so fast I don't think they would have survived a re- plant.

Good news is, I harvested my best radishes yet .

And....there's a lot more I can pick away at. Along with our third crop of spinach.

Love my trough planter for so many reasons. Every gardener, except those with endless greenhouses at their disposal (DOM) should have one. I can start plants early and transplant without having to mess with hardening them off. Grow early and really late crops of greens and veggies with no worry about frost. Grow covered crops in the summer with no concern about insects or desease.

Nice!

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2962 on: Jun 22, 2019, 01:26 PM »
Changed gears a little on the sprouts. I cleared some radishes from the trough planter and set some seed in an egg carton to get them started. The seeds I started in damp paper towel grew so fast I don't think they would have survived a re- plant.

Good news is, I harvested my best radishes yet .

And....there's a lot more I can pick away at. Along with our third crop of spinach.

Love my trough planter for so many reasons. Every gardener, except those with endless greenhouses at their disposal (DOM) should have one. I can start plants early and transplant without having to mess with hardening them off. Grow early and really late crops of greens and veggies with no worry about frost. Grow covered crops in the summer with no concern about insects or desease.

Nice!

Rg
oh man the radishes look amazing! I'm building one as soon as I find you're blue prints  ;)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2963 on: Jun 22, 2019, 02:34 PM »
Nananana... :P
Been picking these for 2 weeks..... ;D
And I don't have a single plant in my garden yet... 8)

And the radishes look great Bob..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2964 on: Jun 22, 2019, 05:49 PM »
oh man the radishes look amazing! I'm building one as soon as I find you're blue prints  ;)

Look up a Veg Trug.  Check out their assembly video. Tells you most everything you need to know. Somewhere I found dimensions and just made it from there. Mine is mostly made of 1x6 fence pickets and 2x4 pt from Lowes.

Rg

lowjack12

« Reply #2965 on: Jun 22, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Well, after telling myself no more major projects after I gutted and rebuilt a new kitchen, I gutted my garden last fall because it was getting ratty. This spring I said "What was I thinking?" so I began a rebuild with time  and my aging body against me sacrificing nights and several "fishing weekends" but somehow I actually got it done in time to  plant some vegetables. New beds, new soil, new fence with gate, what seemed like  tons of stone- very demanding but in the end it looks like we'll have some veggies this year. OK, no more major projects for this guy. Nice neat garden

Bartman44

« Reply #2966 on: Jun 23, 2019, 07:22 AM »
Looking good everybody. Nice spread Lowjack.

Good advice RG, I should have no problem with that. My son who lives in Mass., wants to buy a new house so he put his house up for sale and it sold in 10 minutes and the closing is next week. Until he finds a new house he's moving back in with us (with all his stuff.)  Spent most of yesterday packing and unpacking U-hauls and pick up trucks and my drive way looks like a marina. I can't feel my feet this morning. It's all good, hoping to get some fishing in with him now that he'll be back in town.       

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #2967 on: Jun 23, 2019, 11:36 AM »
  Spent yesterday weeding the beds.... I hate weeding, so we decided to mulch. Did some homework and decided to lay down a couple inches of last year's leaves, then topped it with cedar. Pretty pleased 😊

Also got a couple new tomato cages from runnings 15$ a pop

Way better than the wire ones. Eating fresh strawberries daily now with raspberries on the way.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2968 on: Jun 23, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Looks good Ed. I use last year's leaf compost for mulch. Keeps most of the weeds out. I gave up topping with any thing else. Always got in the way of topping off the beds spring and fall.

We had a little neighborhood gathering last evening. JoJo came to visit.

He has his own lilac bush play area at our house now.

He's something special. Sometimes I think he's more bat than bird.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2969 on: Jun 23, 2019, 01:31 PM »
This is basically what I built .
http://www.chesapeakecrafts.com/raised_planter_1.php

I made the top edge 1x6. Gives me more room to work from. The whole planter was coated twice with a solid body latex stain and the inside is lined with a premium grade landscape fabric.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.