FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: February in the Books  (Read 2001 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
February in the Books
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Charged out of the gate on the 1st 8)  Sort of.  Had to trudge across a distance of  icy wetlands that had previously been flooded.  Even though the critter making these tracks had no trouble navigating, I broke the crust every few feet.

You can see by the ice left on these trees how high the water had gotten in the floodplain. 

The good news was that the main flow had blown pretty much clear except for an occasional pancake floating by.

After about 0:40 of casting and running through my lure selection, bobber and jig combos rang the dinner bell.  Trout magnets and small marabous both worked.  Bites were light beyond belief, with the fish taking the jigs literally right off the bottom.....almost like bait pick-ups!  What was most surprising was the species.  Salmon aren't stocked here and their pathway to make it in definitely needed all the rain and snowmelt we'd had.

Here are a few of the willing customers:

The streak's alive at 83 months (1 month short of 7 years) in a row with at least 1 open water trout and salmon in Maine.  We'll see if March cooperates.

slammah

Re: February in the Books
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 07:38 PM »
Beauties! Love the report

stguy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 04:49 AM »
Awesome!

Have you ever thought of writing a book? With all your adventures and your way with a pen I'm sure it would be a best seller.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Unbelievable Jim! This winter has been bizarre with the drastic temperature swings.   Good shot of the teeth on that last male salmon, at least one of those looks like pretty good sized too, those are a blast on ultra light tackle.

That your first February open water salmon? I've certainly never done that.  February can be good for open water browns though as you know. 

Your post makes me want to hit some open H20... been too long for me (before christmas).

Good luck with March, if so, you'll have another 9+ easy months added to your streak  8)

Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Thanks, Josh, Glen, and Randall.

I was expecting browns when I found these salmon.  Browns have been way off for me.  The salmon were 15"-17" and the first ones I've ever caught in open water in February.

As far as writing goes, I enjoy it.  I have had articles published in "Great Lakes Fisherman", "Virginia Outdoor Weekly", and the magazine IF&W used to put out. We'll see what the future holds.  I'll have more time real soon now 8)

franklin fisher

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:18 PM »
  Nice post Jim.  I always enjoy them.  Nice fish and congrats on keeping the streak alive.  Last months post was nice as well.  I haven't checked in here for a while and just read it.  Good job.

fish wayniac

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:59 PM »
Jim, Congratz on still finding quality fish in open water. Nice post!

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Hey Jim do you even ice fish anymore?  ;D :laugh:

Nice fish!

Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Hey, Nick.  Not near as much time on the ice as I used to.  I haven't been out once this season.  I pinched 2 nerves in my shoulder (the other one) and couldn't even think about augering.  It seems to be mending.....just in time for late ice, my favorite anyway 8)

Hey Jim do you even ice fish anymore?  ;D :laugh:

Nice fish!

chrisminmaine

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2018, 10:14 PM »
Nice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.