FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 1000 brown trout eggs arriving tomorrow from Utah  (Read 1469 times)

taxid

1000 brown trout eggs arriving tomorrow from Utah
« on: Dec 05, 2022, 07:54 AM »
Was going to throw in the towel due to high overhead on the trout, but I found a way to sell the females that don't sell well to taxidermists and replica makers.  (The taxidermists and replica makers mostly want the males in full spawning colors.)

I raised and sold 653 pounds of rainbows this year to wholesaler that plants them live in recreational ponds for the fall. Sex and species doesn't matter to him or his customers, so I will be able to sell the female browns to him and keep the males another year for the taxidermy and replica market. This increases my profitability so I thought I'd give it another shot. 

Here is the DIY recirculating system with two egg hatching baskets made form laundry baskets ready for eggs.

Here's a crop of trout from a few years ago that are almost ready to go outside to the pond which is feed by well water. Trout if fed appropriately can grow an inch and half   a month. The other species I grow as in largemouth bass, hybrid crappie, bluegill, and yellow perch not so fast.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: 1000 brown trout eggs arriving tomorrow from Utah
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Pretty cool operation there!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:04 PM »
Pretty cool operation there!

Thanks!

A lot of stuff cobbled together from a koi forum, my fisheries education, texts, and this and that I have learned off the Internet. Also some trial and error, and water on the floor of the basement!  ;D

Here's what a taxidermist in Utah did with one of them.* The guy does really well painting accurate brown trout.

* I got the egg for that one from a hatchery in Utah, hatched and grew it in Indiana, and I shipped the brown trout to a taxidermist back to Utah.. LOL  And even more ironic is he used to work at the hatchery in Utah.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:30 PM »
That’s a fine looking mount. Doesn’t look “artificial”.

All hobbies and pursuits are trial and error for those who have some success. When we finished, we’ll know just what we’re doing.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2022, 01:31 PM »
Thanks!

A lot of stuff cobbled together from a koi forum, my fisheries education, texts, and this and that I have learned off the Internet. Also some trial and error, and water on the floor of the basement!  ;D

Here's what a taxidermist in Utah did with one of them.* The guy does really well painting accurate brown trout.

* I got the egg for that one from a hatchery in Utah, hatched and grew it in Indiana, and I shipped the brown trout to a taxidermist back to Utah.. LOL  And even more ironic is he used to work at the hatchery in Utah.

Dam, that looks great.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2022, 09:53 PM »
Eggs have arrived and are incubating. Next stage alevin, fry, and then fingerlings. About 700 will go to the outside pond in early spring  to grow out to about 15 inches by fall, and then a smaller number to 4 to 6 pounds the following fall.

All my equipment and recirculating system is DIY except for the water an air pumps, and chiller.  Even the fish tank is a defective cut down water tank from a local factory. It's cheaper that way and more fun to build my own equipment.

Quality of the photo isn't that great 'cause it's quite dark in that section of the basement where I have a dimmer switch. The eggs and allevin prefer low light.

BBLoon

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2022, 08:00 AM »
Good luck with the new babies!! Looking forward to the updates.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2022, 11:24 AM »
Good luck with the new babies!! Looking forward to the updates.

Thanks for the interest.

I was surprised to have a nitrite spike this morning. Ammonia isn't an issue. Took care of it with a partial water change.

The water is in the low 50's which isn't the most optimum for beneficial bacteria to oxidize the waste products. I'm bumped up the temp a little on the chiller.

I have something coming I've used in the past that will instantly neturalize ammonia and nitrites. Economical and doesn't interfere with the nitrification.

BBLoon

« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2022, 12:14 PM »
Good stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.