FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Protecting Cell Phone on the water  (Read 3847 times)

taxid

Protecting Cell Phone on the water
« on: Jun 10, 2023, 08:54 AM »
What do you guys do? A few years ago I got one wet and ruined it. For my upcoming trip I will double bag mine in ziplock bags and add a piece of pool noodle for floatation. I tested it in the pool and it definitely floats. Thoughts?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

Re: Protecting Cell Phone on the water
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2023, 10:06 AM »
I fish out of a canoe or kayak much of the time.  It takes effort to keep things dry in these craft.
My drivers and fishing license both join my cell phone, (Mr. Flippy)  in a small "OTTER BOX"  It has a good gasket and
and double cammed lock. (My wallet and the rest of its contents are locked in the truck.) I have a second OTTERBOX,
a little larger, which carries essentials - extra knife, compass, firestarting and a small first aid kit. Both boxes, along
with an 8 oz water bottle, fiit into a 2 liter dry bag.  It goes where I
go.

Fish on,

rivereddy

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2023, 01:00 PM »
Cell is waterproof but I leave it in the glovebox of the boat.  When I surfcast I had a dry bag for my cell and keys.  (Saltwater in a keyfob for your car is a real bad time). 

When Im on a bigger river it stays in my waders.  Having dropped it twice in the river its better that way.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2023, 02:15 PM »
Mine stays in the car. Don’t feel the need to live with it 24/7.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2023, 03:59 PM »
Mine stays in the car. Don’t feel the need to live with it 24/7.

Hey Mr. Popular
Probably because you never get any texts or phone calls.
 8)

Lots of things a smartphone is useful for out on the water.
GPS, weather and wind reports, radar, music, etc.
I had my lithium battery tied into my phone via bluetooth so I could monitor its rate of discharge.
Lots of apps out there that allow you to use them on your trolling motor, graph, autopilot, etc.

And of course, the big reason to take it with you - safety!!!
You can call for help, people can reach you for whatever.
But if you have it with you, and something bad happens where you cannot operate it, the authorities can ping your phone to locate you.

And if you don't wish to be bothered..........put it in silent mode.......but never turn it off.

Here is what I bought recently for my daughter and Donna for when they go kayaking -

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Compatible-20-Pixel-Vacation-Swimming-Black/dp/B09XMMJNMR/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=IL2RUMV3ME6M&keywords=waterproof+iphone+pouch&qid=1686430463&sprefix=waterproof+iphone+pouch%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2WQ903IL1NLEO&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExSEdZUFlFMDM1MldKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODY3NzM5Q0xTTzZMSllBS1cmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDMwNzU5ODI0TFc3QVpWSTE4UlEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2023, 04:14 PM »
I'll be in a kayak btw. Another thing I found essential while on the water in an upright seat kayak: something to take a leak in. A lot easier than getting out of the kayak etc. And this kayak I have is not one you want to stand up in even with the stabilizers I built for it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2023, 08:39 PM »
I'll be in a kayak btw. Another thing I found essential while on the water in an upright seat kayak: something to take a leak in. A lot easier than getting out of the kayak etc. And this kayak I have is not one you want to stand up in even with the stabilizers I built for it.

Wear a bathing suit and just go.

;D

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2023, 08:55 PM »

Wear a bathing suit and just go.

;D

Well that's one solution.  :rotflol:

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2023, 08:37 AM »
I just try not to drop it in the water, so it usually goes in the boat glove compartment as soon as I get on the boat. My phone is waterproof, but that doesn't prevent me from dropping it overboard. If I were a kayaker I would probably get a case that incorporated a lanyard of some sort. Lash it to the boat or your tackle bag or wear around your neck.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2023, 09:51 AM »
I just try not to drop it in the water, so it usually goes in the boat glove compartment as soon as I get on the boat. My phone is waterproof, but that doesn't prevent me from dropping it overboard. If I were a kayaker I would probably get a case that incorporated a lanyard of some sort. Lash it to the boat or your tackle bag or wear around your neck.

Look at the link below I posted Geoff.
The cases are cheap.
My iPhone is reportedly water "resistant".
Here is what Apple says -

"Rated IP68 (maximum depth of 6 metres up to 30 minutes) under IEC standard 60529"

Still, I would feel better if it was in one of those pouches.

I would add a float to the lanyard.
Like they do with boat keys.
Because the phone, or the pouch, do not float.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2023, 01:08 PM »
Hey Mr. Popular
Probably because you never get any texts or phone calls.
 8)
Thank heavens. It’s a crutch.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fish wayniac

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2023, 02:45 PM »
My phone was in my pocket and got wet when a big wave splashed me. My wife bought me this case by Cloudz. Not sure of the cost but cheaper then a new I-phone . The case has 2 zip locks and a flap that folds over and snaps. I can still take pictures without removing the phone from the case.

Bartman44

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2023, 04:05 PM »
When I'm in the kayak, I keep it in a small Tupperware container between my legs. When wading, I keep it inside the waterproof pouch inside my chest waders. In the boat, I just set it on the dash in a cup holder.

PikeKing23

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14, 2023, 04:05 AM »
After 2 years in a row dropping my phone down an ice hole I attach a caribeener to my phone case that is clipped on my belt. Still dropped it many times but now stays attached.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Jun 14, 2023, 07:19 AM »
After 2 years in a row dropping my phone down an ice hole I attach a caribeener to my phone case that is clipped on my belt. Still dropped it many times but now stays attached.

About 10 yrs ago I dropped an mp3 player down a hole up in Canada.
It was Cooks Bay on Simcoe, so we were shallow.
I could see down there on the bottom, still lit, and still playing, but couldn't retrieve it.
I'm serious.
You could still hear the darn music.
lol
I had to ask the hut owner to move our hut because the music was keeping the fish away.
He was an old friend of mine, so he obliged.
Crazy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.