FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First time striper fishing  (Read 2832 times)

ICEHOLE

First time striper fishing
« on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:39 AM »
Thanks to Xjbob99s invite on the "nauti lady" on Thursday I got to hook up to my first stripers. Water was super calm most of the day. Sand eels everywhere and lots of fish breaking. Was really cool to see!
Bob landed the most and the biggest fish of the day. Some nice fish caught! My first striper was small and my second and third a little more respectable. Pretty sure I'm in the market for a surf cast set up now 😁

Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

stripernut

Re: First time striper fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2017, 06:00 AM »
I aways said, stripers ruined me for fresh water, Bonito and Albacore ruined me for stripers and Blue Fin Tuna ruined me for everything. Now when you go out and do it all with a fly rod, you will truly be ruined!

Congrats on your first striper and a new adventure!

Eastciderida

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2017, 06:08 AM »
Haven't fresh water fished since I got my kayak. Stripers are fun can't wait for false albies

bigbellybilly

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2017, 06:40 AM »
congrats and looked like a nice calm day

fishercat

• hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2017, 07:32 AM »
Congrats on your first Striper.
I fish for those "stupid fish" BASS. Largemouth Smallmouth Stripers, and even Rock bass.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Congrats Matt.  Now when you are ready for your first canal bass shoot me a pm and we will get it done.  (I promise they are more fun than boat fish) 

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Now when you are ready for your first canal bass shoot me a pm and we will get it done.  (I promise they are more fun than boat fish)

Don't miss out on an offer like that...

I will say, having many, many hours of fishing both boat and shore, I like boat fishing far more than fishing from shore (also more fun)... Far too many times, I (and many others) have sat on a shore (including the canal) and had to settle for watching breaking fish that no caster could reach... Fishing from a boat also includes the ability to get away from the crowds and that alone make it better (at least for me)... In the end, it comes down to personal taste, for me, give me the freedom of a boat!

manitron

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Congratulations. Pays to have good friends like xjbob.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2017, 10:02 AM »

I will say, having many, many hours of fishing both boat and shore, I like boat fishing far more than fishing from shore (also more fun)... Far too many times, I (and many others) have sat on a shore (including the canal) and had to settle for watching breaking fish that no caster could reach... Fishing from a boat also includes the ability to get away from the crowds and that alone make it better (at least for me)... In the end, it comes down to personal taste, for me, give me the freedom of a boat!

I do both!  Time and place for each...and canal wise, jigging always wins.  Past 8 years the topwater bite continues to decline. There's adventure to be had either way when stripers are involved!  Same offer to you Alan!

ICEHOLE

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2017, 10:59 AM »

Just have to save up for a nice set up. if i get a surf cast set up, i want it to last me a lifetime! I admit i know nothing about, but still want a  Van Staal reel. What size rod would be best suited for  the canal?

Baitbucket

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Just have to save up for a nice set up. if i get a surf cast set up, i want it to last me a lifetime! I admit i know nothing about, but still want a  Van Staal reel. What size rod would be best suited for  the canal?

Matt, I know many of the surf guys use Van Staal reels due to being sealed and corrosion resistance. You can literally reel them under water. That being said, if you dont intend to wade into the surf and take waves, there are much better casting/smoother reels out there.

Congrats on the stripers by the way.

PS: I forget what kayak you have, but that is a great option as well.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2017, 06:53 PM »
Just have to save up for a nice set up. if i get a surf cast set up, i want it to last me a lifetime! I admit i know nothing about, but still want a  Van Staal reel. What size rod would be best suited for  the canal?

I have a quest jigging setup.  Custom Rainshadow 6-12oz with a 4500 saltist.  If you were to buy that today it is 365 for the rod from cms in new bedford and 180-200 for the reel.  I've been using that for 6 seasons prior to purchasing the odm and saragosa.

Eastciderida

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Time to come hit the river on the kayak caught 8 last night

ICEHOLE

« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Matt, I know many of the surf guys use Van Staal reels due to being sealed and corrosion resistance. You can literally reel them under water. That being said, if you dont intend to wade into the surf and take waves, there are much better casting/smoother reels out there.

Congrats on the stripers by the way.

PS: I forget what kayak you have, but that is a great option as well.

I have a wilderness sytems ride 135...older version without the new style seats
quote author=Eastciderida link=topic=73358.msg774525#msg774525 date=1497793634]
Time to come hit the river on the kayak caught 8 last night

[/quote]
Merrimack? I am not sure how confident i am on the salt and a kayak...ive only been into it a few years, and while i have lots of hours and my kayak is super stable i still get nervous when a boat makes a big wake near me. White knuckled while fishing might ruin the fun

Baitbucket

« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2017, 10:35 AM »
I have a wilderness sytems ride 135...older version without the new style seats

That yak it more than capable of handling the salt. Joppa flats is a great place to start.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.