FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First time striper fishing  (Read 2817 times)

Eastciderida

Re: First time striper fishing
« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Providence River plenty safe out there fish incoming to slack tide no problem nothing like the Merrimack nice calm water when no wind still decent with winds up to 10mph

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Nice job Matt. Van Staal reels might be a bit pricy for a first surf setup. I have 3 setups right now. 1 with a Saragosa 10000 1 with a Saragosa 8000 and a 6000 Dawia Emblem Pro. The older model when they were the better. Good affordable 1st rods The Airwave or the Temple Fork Outfitters are a good choice. If jigging is your joice get something rated to at least 10oz.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

xjbob99

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:25 AM »
couple of pics to add, pretty sure that was a tall ship heading out of cape cod cay to boston. cool to see. also NOAA said less than 1 foot all day. got half way through the bay on the way back and there was 3 footers pretty stacked. looked at the forecast at the ramp and of course small craft advisory. have to always be prepared and respect the Atlantic. never know what will change.

Knot there yet

« Reply #18 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:36 AM »
 Gateway drug that first one.
Congratulations welcome to the addiction. Many ways to do it all great. Lots of people will tell you lots of things. You'll have to decide which techniques you choose to pursue. You can and will spend lots of $$$ so try as many as you can before you commit to just one or two. If your thinking already a van staal you got $$. What ever you need is two of everything you buy including two van staals. Every plug you buy get two. Trust me on this one. If you don't have a back up for  everything it will break or get lost when you need it most.
 Take a couple charted form the true professional you'll learn 10x what you'll learn on the beach Ask lots of questions your paying them for the education.The good guides are the professors of the fishery. People tend to think that $600 charters are measured by what you catch. It's about what you catch (learn) from them that makes it a bargain trust me.

westernmas

« Reply #19 on: Jun 19, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Nice job Matt. Van Staal reels might be a bit pricy for a first surf setup. I have 3 setups right now. 1 with a Saragosa 10000 1 with a Saragosa 8000 and a 6000 Dawia Emblem Pro. The older model when they were the better. Good affordable 1st rods The Airwave or the Temple Fork Outfitters are a good choice. If jigging is your joice get something rated to at least 10oz.

Sound advice.  I see no need for a Van Staal with the other options out there.

I chucked eels at the Ditch on Friday and Saturday night.  Missed the good tide on Friday but hit it right on Saturday.  I ended up catching some type of juvenile cod or pollock but my eel was bigger than the fish that I caught.  I heard there was a bunch of action Saturday morning but you've got to be at the right place at the right time and it didn't happen for me.  There will be many more chance though.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #20 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I still think its early for eels but know guys have caught.  As for the tide, I dont think there is a good or bad one.  Its a matter of timing in each tide vs the spot your fishing.  I cant say one tide there is better than the next based off thousands of hours spent.  This includes the breaking tides that everyone likes.  Once you learn some holes you can catch almost every time out.  I think I am going this weekend. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #21 on: Jun 19, 2017, 07:47 PM »
have been fishing my vsx 250 for 3 years and it is an amazing reel. you get what you pay for with van staal. i wouldnt trade it for the world. the only reason why i got a van staal was the durability of the reel. i have buddys who have been beating the **** out of theirs for 15 years with barley any service and they are still working like new. the only learning curve is bailless but it is not that hard to learn. $800 may seem a little steep but i am expecting to have the reel the rest of my life so it is an investment well worth it in my eyes.

ICEHOLE

« Reply #22 on: Jun 19, 2017, 08:48 PM »
have been fishing my vsx 250 for 3 years and it is an amazing reel. you get what you pay for with van staal. i wouldnt trade it for the world. the only reason why i got a van staal was the durability of the reel. i have buddys who have been beating the **** out of theirs for 15 years with barley any service and they are still working like new. the only learning curve is bailless but it is not that hard to learn. $800 may seem a little steep but i am expecting to have the reel the rest of my life so it is an investment well worth it in my eyes.

Wow I really know nothing! Had never heard of bailless doing reels until now. So I watched a quick vieo and concept makes sense and easy enough. I can see myself getting goofed up on the retrieve getting used to it.
I know a couple people who say the same about van staal. I just figured I'm young enough to make an investment on s omthing I want to last all or most of my life..idk if that's possible..i would think VS has the best chance
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Eastciderida

« Reply #23 on: Jun 19, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Recently saw a post about a guy on the canal hooking into a van stall reel looked like it was in there for awhile thing still worked other then the gears being a little rough. Look into the quantum boca and Cabo reels know a guy that has put an older quantum iron through hell and abuse and has never had a problem. I got a pair of quantum boca servicing on my striper rods love them. Couldn't see spending that much on a reel and somehow getting it dumped off the side of my yak and the leash breaks off

Baitbucket

« Reply #24 on: Jun 20, 2017, 05:42 AM »
Wow I really know nothing! Had never heard of bailless doing reels until now. So I watched a quick vieo and concept makes sense and easy enough. I can see myself getting goofed up on the retrieve getting used to it.
I know a couple people who say the same about van staal. I just figured I'm young enough to make an investment on s omthing I want to last all or most of my life..idk if that's possible..i would think VS has the best chance

VS Reels are a very nice reel. But as has been said. Their real value comes from being fully sealed be being made of all corrosion resistant materials. They are made that way for the Surf guys who are constantly getting hit by waves/reeling under water.

It it were me Matt, I would look into the long cast surf reels. Shimano and Daiwa both make nice ones.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Jun 20, 2017, 10:00 AM »
If the plan is to purchase a reel for canal there are more practial choices than the VS.  You want high retreive speed at least 40" a handle turn or you will fatigue from reeling in miles of jig casts! VS has its place but like all other reels it isnt perfect.  It will last if you take care of it and all those orings!  For what its worth, Zebco owns VS and the reels are made in China now...I fished with a VS and Zeebass, both are nice but you can accomplish the same with a 300 shimano for a few seasons if you care for it.

Keep in mind the reel seems like the highest price piece in the surfcasting equation but I can tell you the plugs will bleed you dry if you let them...custom rods, plug bags, waders...it can be an expensive game if you want it to be.  

manitron

« Reply #26 on: Jun 20, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Great work  and stellar pics xjbob!

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #27 on: Jun 20, 2017, 08:03 PM »
saw this online and thought it was pretty amazing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.