FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Regular Season Wrap-Up  (Read 2613 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Regular Season Wrap-Up
« on: Sep 30, 2017, 05:39 PM »
The statewide open water season ended today, making it good time to look back on the past 2 months. 

August ended with a nice cool down, followed by an all too rare slug of rain in early September.  I was able to jump on this opportunity for several nice outings. 

A batch of browns willing to hit top water were a definite highlight on waters seemingly reborn by increased flows. I spent a lot of time working the Elk Hair Caddis, sometimes solo, but with many more takers on a trailing emerger when fished in tandem.

These same briefly higher flows drew some quality fish out of the main rivers and into the tribs.  No big browns on these flow bumps, but some bigger brookies did show up.  One trib rises quickly in elevation out of the main river, and I met eye-to-eye with one of the biggest brookies I've ever seen.  I couldn't even get a cast off before he buried himself into an undercut.  I did manage to do a little better sneaking up on a few others :D

The flows benefited the smaller mountain water early in September also. 

The brookies weren't real colored up early on.

But even with dropping flows, that changed as September went on.

By month's end flows were awful again.  In fact, they were zero in many smaller side channels.

But just enough in the main channels for me to put together the trout slam with few wild rainbows and a lone brown in the mix. 

The brown wasn't huge any means, but after a missed rise , it was super satisfying to get him to grab the emerger a few casts later.

It's always a highlight to fish with MG39.  We didn't come up with a ton of fish, but some quality ones for sure, plus I was treated to fine blueberry muffins and some wine to go courtesy of Meriese and him 8)

And this guy struggling with his freeboard captured our attention.  There must have been a leak involved somewhere. :o

I squeezed in one outing to tidewater.  The schoolies weren't huge, but at least there were a few around.  And I came up with proof that if I fish long enough, surprises often show up.

Bring on the extended season!

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Regular Season Wrap-Up
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2017, 05:58 PM »
As usual Jim, an outstanding photo display of pretty trout.

I'm checking that spot again very soon and expect things to heat up. That will give you an excuse to get into some of the 18 bottles Meriese had me cork today. :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Thanks, Bob. Keep me posted.

That wine is some good.  Homemade soup, bread, and the wine makes for an A-1 meal 8)

As usual Jim, an outstanding photo display of pretty trout.

I'm checking that spot again very soon and expect things to heat up. That will give you an excuse to get into some of the 18 bottles Meriese had me cork today. :)

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Outstanding overall!, Jim.

Are those maine white catfish? Jeeze those are big!  Do they bite lures?

That last brookie photo is gorgeous.  Love it when they get the black tinge on the belly.  Pretty rainbows as well.  Perfect picture of the one in your hand.

JDK

« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2017, 04:55 AM »
As always, impressive.

# SAND

saltyshores

« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Thanks for a great bunch of photos of supeir season wrapup, Jim!

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2017, 08:06 AM »
Great report as always, with some quality fish!
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Thanks, Randall.  Yes, they are.  I find them mixed in with stripers in places feeding on young of the year alewives.  I have caught them on spinning with plastics and on flyrod with Clousers....I even missed 1 on top with a popper in skinny water last year.  They give a nice tussle even on 7-weight.

Are those maine white catfish? Jeeze those are big!  Do they bite lures?

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #8 on: Oct 01, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Thanks, Randall.  Yes, they are.  I find them mixed in with stripers in places feeding on young of the year alewives.  I have caught them on spinning with plastics and on flyrod with Clousers....I even missed 1 on top with a popper in skinny water last year.  They give a nice tussle even on 7-weight.

Wow! that's very cool.

franklin fisher

« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 2017, 06:16 PM »
  Very nice post.

fish wayniac

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Great recap of another epic season Jim.Nice variety of fish! Looks like you and Bob found some slabs!

jacksmelt

« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2017, 08:20 AM »
nice mix jim! next to no water up here in the brooks. even the great st. john is reduced to near nothing. bet the musky/ bass would be easy to find.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2017, 10:36 AM »
Thanks, Steve.  At this point, it would take multiple inches of rain to set things right for the Fall. 

nice mix jim! next to no water up here in the brooks. even the great st. john is reduced to near nothing. bet the musky/ bass would be easy to find.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2017, 06:27 PM »
Hey Jim, did you get my PM? sent you a message a few days ago, or at least i thought i did, was with the new format so maybe I messed something up?

Jim C.

« Reply #14 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:16 PM »
You didn't mess up, Randall, I did :P   The new format does not seem to broadcast new messages like the old way.  I'm easily confused around computers.  I'll be replying to your PM.

Hey Jim, did you get my PM? sent you a message a few days ago, or at least i thought i did, was with the new format so maybe I messed something up?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.