FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question for the Mainers here  (Read 1146 times)

taxid

Question for the Mainers here
« on: Oct 08, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Do you have a law that says lake cottage/homes have to be a certain distance back from a pond or lake?

I ask this because a lot of the pictures I see in Maine seem to show them set back unlike my area of the country where they are pretty much right on the lake.

Or is it just a practicality as in keeping a septic tank back away from the lake, or both?

If there is such a thing I think it's great. Out here it's so sad to see house after house ringing a lake with concrete seawalls and that's just the start. Typically there are another row of houses on the other side of a perimeter road and sometimes a third row. We have a least a couple of lakes in my area that have been incorporated as towns they are so populated.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

teampar

• "It is what it is"
Re: Question for the Mainers here
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2017, 01:35 PM »
We do have regulations that state structures must be 100' off the water. Most of the camps/structures that are closer it is because they were grandfathered in prior to these regulations. So what it really impacts now is new construction or if you are "remodeling" you have to be very carefully not to disturb the demensions of structures currently with-in that 100' mark.

taxid

Re: Question for the Mainers here
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2017, 04:24 PM »
We do have regulations that state structures must be 100' off the water. Most of the camps/structures that are closer it is because they were grandfathered in prior to these regulations. So what it really impacts now is new construction or if you are "remodeling" you have to be very carefully not to disturb the demensions of structures currently with-in that 100' mark.

A very sensible idea that preserves the esthetics of the lakes!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.