FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Technical Difficulties....  (Read 3347 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Technical Difficulties....
« on: Sep 16, 2020, 05:44 PM »
I hate technical difficulties.

This morning I launched to fish and found that the old faithful 30 hp Johnson was short one cylinder. Thought it might just be fouled so I limped Back to the dock and pulled the cover and then the plugs. They both looked the same. A little wet from fouling out.

Got it on the trailer and headed home thinking it might be a coil....even though I replaced both a couple years ago.

Tested the coils, checked for spark, tested the spark plug wires....all OK! I decided the only thing I could is replace the spark plugs. They had a few years on them.

Went back this afternoon and launched for a test run. Started right up and coughed a bit then took off running on both cylinders. But....it didn’t want to idle down without a skip/misfire.

Went home and reviewed the procedures for adjusting the carburetor linkages and timing. Reset both as they were a bit off.

I’ll try tomorrow morning and see how it runs.

I hate technical difficulties!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

Re: Technical Difficulties....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2020, 06:06 PM »

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2020, 06:19 PM »
Good luck RG. Hopefully you can get it dialed in. I love those old Johnson's. I have a 35 and a 9.9 both 1978 and run great.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2020, 06:51 PM »
you didn't accidently  put ethanol in did you? sure you'll figure it out  RG
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2020, 07:02 PM »
Saturday I had my first breakdown on the lake with my new boat.  Starter died.  Thankfully we had the trolling motor to get us the mile or so back to the launch.  Kew starter arrived today.  60 bucks...replacing the solenoid too just for good measure.  Sadly...both were replaced this spring.  Makes me wonder if I should have used oem parts...

Bartman44

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2020, 07:06 PM »
Get those engines fixed guys, it's prime time now, no time for breakdowns. Let's go! 

oatkasut

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2020, 07:45 PM »
My  technical problem was a leaky boot and a twisted knee. Both fixed!  Good luck Bob. ;D ;D

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2020, 08:22 PM »
i think thats more occupational hazards oak
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

chiefcatchemall

• over the rail and in the pail
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2020, 09:49 PM »
Hope you got it dialed back in. It’s always something! I dealt with a driveshaft bushing today on my Yamaha outboard after work this evening. Never a dull moment! l
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everybody has one and they all stink.

Pequod1

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2020, 04:01 AM »
I have to take a can of starter spray out with me when I use the small boat and the 9.9 merc. Dam thing will never start without it but once it’s going, it’s good most of the day. I probably shouldn’t be using the spray but I use this engine only a half dozen times a year. Probably should find a good merc mechanic.  It’s a borrowed engine though, so....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2020, 04:08 AM »
Chief! Good to see you back around.
I’ve had this motor since 1989. It’s a 1985. Some of you might remember back about 7 or 8 years ago when i rebuilt it. The project started out with a broken motor mount. By the time I was finished I had replaced All the motor mounts, lower unit seals and water pump impeller, carburetor, fuel pump, coils, power pack, fuel lines, primer lines, spark plugs and recoil rope.

A couple years later i replaced the stator and pickups. The only thing I didn’t get into was the head. It still has 90lbs of compression in both cylinders. The same as the first time I tested it some 20 years ago. I’ve burned regular gas in it since the first time i filled the tank. It doesn’t care about ethanol.

It’s hard to set the timing on this motor. To do it properly you need a test wheel and a tank or to be on the water under way at full throttle the later being a really unsafe method. Setting the timing requires adjustment to the carburetor linkages. The  throttle advances and retards the timing as power is applied. So its just a fussy business. Motor runs perfectly over about 600 rpm. If the timing isn’t right it coughs and stalls.

But, I’m heading out in a little while and hopefully the adjustment i made yesterday will cure the problem. Either way, I’m going fishing.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2020, 06:30 AM »
Get those engines fixed guys, it's prime time now, no time for breakdowns. Let's go!

You aren't kidding Bart.  My favorite time of year.  The pleasure boaters are starting to exit. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2020, 11:54 AM »
Didn’t get out this morning. Went out to get in the vehicle and it started raining.

Maybe tomorrow although this huge high pressure that’s moving in will probably shut fishing down completely.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Sep 17, 2020, 04:09 PM »
I knew you would figure it out..... 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

KingPerch

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Bob, That motor revving up and doesn’t want to idle down seems like an air leak around a gasket or seal on the intake side of things. The coughing/sputtering sounds like timing. Good luck!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.