FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electric trolling motor on canoe/kayak...do you need to register it?  (Read 107662 times)

kayak2fish

An update on my situation: I went to the DMV cold. I just strolled up to the window and said, "I hope you are ready for me!" The woman was very helpful. I told her I did not have a hull identification number and she gave me the paperwork and told me how to get one through the state Parks and Rec office. After contemplating what looked like a complicated process to get an HIN, I then remembered what muskyman 2 said about getting the HIN through the kayak maker. I called Perception and the woman there told me exactly where to look on the boat. I must have overlooked it before. Now I can forego Parks and  Rec and go right back the DMV with that and the title paperwork and I should be good. If it all works out I will be buying a trolling motor next week and will try to get her rigged up for a day of fishing the Saturday after next, if the lakes are open by then. I will start out on a smaller pond of course!

muskyman2

That is great news.  One of the best parts of these forums is providing some assistance and savings someone else hassles along the way.  I learned more than I ever wanted to know about hull identification numbers in getting mine registered.  Glad to be of assistance!

Muskyman2

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
An update on my situation: I went to the DMV cold. I just strolled up to the window and said, "I hope you are ready for me!"

I was ready for some 70's music with a heavy beat. Good Story Ron

Glad things worked out going to the dmv without all the info can be a pian!
Internet heros give it a rest!

wertty

think of your  neighbor ,     some  of us like mother natures song. thank you.

kayak2fish

Trolling  motors are silent and I would only  be using it on waters that have motorized boat traffic already.  ;)

joejv4

I'm in a similar situation, but a little different....

When My grandfather passed away, my grandmother gave me his old 10' aluminum johnboat.  I've been using it as a rowboat for years, but am thinking of putting a trolling motor on it. 

I have absolutely no paperwork for this thing.  I think my cousin had registered it for a year or two, since it was kept at the family cottage - that he bought when my grandmother passed away.

Somehow I get the feeling I'm going to be spending some time at DMV trying to get this thing registered.

Anyone ever dealt with something like this before?
Gone fishin'

reelNeYesin

• fishing NYS...........PRICELESS
tell the dmv its homemade
if it is, there is no paperwork simple enough
theres mosquito's on the river.  .   . fish are rising up like birds

Tom Leitz

I just read the regs.  If I am correct you need to register a homemade boat if you want to put a motor on it - meaning you have to go through all the paperwork.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
Yeah, you have to register it, but you don't have to get hull # or any papers from previous owners, manufacturers, etc.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

kayak2fish

Well, I have found the HIN on my kayak and I have all of the paperwork. Tomorrow I go to the DMV to register the yak. I bought a Minnkota Endura 30, a deep-cycle battery and a charger on Saturday and am now coming up with a plan to mount the motor to my Perception Acadia. The battery weighs about 40 pounds and the motor about 10. I weigh 160 and so I am still 150 pounds under the maximum capacity of the kayak. Mounting it should be kind of interesting, but I think I can make it a stable enough platform by balancing out the weight of the motor with a  5# downrigger ball on the opposite side.  The opposite side is where I already use a downrigger so that should also compensate for the weight somewhat. The battery sits on the floor in the middle of the boat. I'll post some pics when I can.

kayak2fish

I'm legal.

kayak2fish

Well I strapped the motor on and took the kayak out today. It actually works. Pretty well I think. I am at about  220 pounds with everything including myself. The boat has a max cap. of 350 I think. Stability is still pretty good. The trickiest thing was working the tiller and the speeds. At top speed, she really kicks it up. I am thinking about adding some outriggers at this point so I can be more confident on bigger lakes. But for smaller lakes and ponds, I think I am all set. I may try and find a smaller 12V deep cycle battery. The current battery accounts for most of the extra weight. I tried it out in Seward Lake in Schenevus and caught two small bass. The wind even picked up a little, but did not present any problems. Wow. What a more efficient way to fish from a kayak. I was going to try it out on Arnold but that lake was still iced over.

Willie Ketchum

Kayak,  you may want to try one of the new style coil cell batteries like the Optima. They are considerably smaller and lighter and hold a charge longer.The only downside is the price. They are about twice that of a standard deep cycle. but they claim they last twice as long. I have only had mine a couple years, so i cannot attest to their longevity, but they do certainly hold a charge longer.

muskyman2

Kayak2fish:

I would recommend a deep cycle wheelchair battery which powered my kayak fine on Round Lake.  It is about 1/4 to 1/3 the weight of the normal deep cycle.  I also added some outriggers for stability and felt very comfortable.

Muskyman2

bigfish1556

Probably jinxing myself here, but have had a canoe and fished it around the state with a trolling motor installed and never ever gave thought to registering the thing.  Guess that's my little way of putting it to the man  :)   I think they have better things to do than give a canoer or kayaker a hard time, or at least it should be that way - I've tried like h*ll and still haven't been able to produce a wake - and it doesn't really even get me around much faster than if I was paddling - in fact I think it's slower, with the drag and all.  F it. I'll take the risk.  I'll register something when I get a real motorized "boat".  I know, such a rebel........
We may say of angling, as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries, “Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless God never did;” and so, if I might be judge, God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.  -Izaak Walton

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.