FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod recommendations  (Read 4054 times)

icefisher47

Rod recommendations
« on: Oct 15, 2019, 09:44 PM »
Looking for recommendations on a fishing rod. Been awhile since I’ve been fishing. I do bank fishing and would like to get a good rod.
Take a kid fishing

zwiggles

Re: Rod recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2019, 10:09 PM »
What kind of rod? Spinning, casting? Price range?

Throw out some more info and I’m sure someone can help fill in the blanks.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2019, 06:19 AM »
What kind of rod? Spinning, casting? Price range?

Throw out some more info and I’m sure someone can help fill in the blanks.

This exactly. Price is key. Knowing your price range, I can help point you in the right direction. Species and fishing techniques also helpful.
Wicked Wec

icefisher47

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:40 AM »
I know this was a stupid question. Spinning reel, at this time any fish that will bite. Around 60 dollars.
Take a kid fishing

filetandrelease

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I know this was a stupid question. Spinning reel, at this time any fish that will bite. Around 60 dollars.
Pflueger president , size depends on species , I own several from 20-30 and have   No complaints

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:23 AM »
I would try to find a pfleuger president in a combo. I have one I got several years ago with a bass pro shop pole for like $70. The rod was basically free if you bought the combo, and they had several different style rods to pick from.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2019, 11:54 AM »

Uglystik in 6.5' spinning.
Cannot beat it for price, fishability and durability.
For the money, it really can't be beat.

I also agree 101% on the Pflueger President.
No better spinning real for the money IMHO.

Good luck.

Johnnh

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2019, 12:52 PM »
Agreed = ugly stick is a reliable rod. I am not a fan of 2 piece rods and prefer cork grips.
Ugly stick 6 1/2 or 7 in 1 piece in a medium action will give you years of satisfaction

rivereddy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Here's another vote for a Pflueger President spinning reel. I own several from 25 (for Panfish, trout ), to 30 (for bass,walleye) to 35 (for cats, steelhead, & pike). I don't know how they get along with salt, but for fresh water, they can't be beat for price and performance.  A note - the spools have a ring on the inner diameter for braided lines. (Having said that, I pity the poor souls who never had the chance to use an Zebco Cardinal reel made by Abu in Sweden in the late 60's and 70's. One of them had been my go to reel since about 1972... I still use it on a regular basis.)

My rods are either mid range St. Croix or Uglistiks.  The former are a bit more sensitive and lighter, but they need to be "babied" more then the latter.  Uglistick lites sport a cork handle and decent guides for less than half the price.  They also make an "Intracostal"  model which could probably land a Volkswagon....

My vote  -   6'6" medium light action Uglistick lite with a 25 series President.  Decent rig for less that a hundred bucks

To further complicate matters, do consider a 2 piece rod.  They travel much better than a one piece.  In the back of my Jeep I have a 2 piece 6' lite action Uglistick with a 25 series president.  It rides with the toolbox and floor jack. I keep it there just in case of an emergency.

fish on,

rivereddy

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2019, 03:08 PM »

To further complicate matters, do consider a 2 piece rod.  They travel much better than a one piece. 

fish on,

rivereddy

Agreed Eddy!

icefisher47

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2019, 11:59 PM »
Thank you, I looked on the Bass Pro site and couldn’t find a 2 piece ugly stick.
Take a kid fishing

Johnnh

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2019, 04:34 AM »
Rivereddy,

Agreed on those cardinal reels. I have a few of them  that i picked up in the early 70's and have nearly worn the finish off of them. They still work perfectly.
John

fishinjohn

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:11 AM »
My vote..
1 piece 7 foot medium gloomis rod
You'll want to hold that in your hand while you're sleeping ;D

icefisher47

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2019, 09:50 AM »
I ordered a 6’ 6” Ugly stick medium heavy. Only comes in 1 piece. I checked Cabela’s and they showed pieces but the rod only comes in 1 piece. Late in the season but it will feel good to get out for a few casts. Thank you everyone for your patience. I’m a late in life fisherman.
Take a kid fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.