FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any tips on GLUVIT aluminum boat repair?  (Read 29160 times)

TheDL

Any tips on GLUVIT aluminum boat repair?
« on: Aug 03, 2012, 12:06 PM »
My 14ft tinny leaks on the seams, it's getting worse.  It's got years of jb weld, silicone, spray sealent and other crap on there (not from me).  I've read numerous posts about this, and it seems the best product to use is Gluvit (http://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html), so I picked up some up.  I'm going to get it done this weekend - already stripped everything off and pressure washed the boat.  I'm going to give it a grind with a wirebrush tonite, and possbily wipe it down with acetone, then put on 1 layer of gluvit, hopefully another after.  Then I have to paint it, as it says you must do this to prevent UV damage to the expoxy (no floor in the boat) - this is where I have questions:
-do I need a primer (covering aluminum floor and expoxied seams), any special kind of primer?
-do I need any special kind of 'marine' paint?

Any helpfull hints are welcomes - I'm not a handy man at all  ???
tight lines....

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
Re: Any tips on GLUVIT aluminum boat repair?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Well, here's what I would do:  Use a good metal marine primer; of the acid-etch wash type. This will not interact with the Gluvit. Use a good marine grade paint or epoxy base paint as that is highly resistant to chipping or peeling. The primer ideally should be an acid-etch type for aluminum; this prepares the surface to "grip" the epoxy primer.
Make sure all areas are sanded with 120 grit, washed with dish soap to remove any oils, and primed thoroughly. The paint should be a two-part epoxy  or polyurethane marine grade paint, applied in layers. It is difficult to paint an aluminum boat properly, but take your time, and good luck!!  ;)
"Time is here and gone"....The Doobies

TheDL

« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:23 PM »
thanks a lot Rebelss!  I talked to a guy from the manufacturer and honestly I didn't like his advice.  He said I'd be fine just to put the gluvit on the boat and paint over with rustoleum.  I don't know much about paint, but I would think that could crack and chip off in colder weatehr.  I finally found a guy at a paint shop that has done some aluminum boats for colder-environments and he said just put this:
http://www.international-pc.com/PDS/4373+P+eng-usa+LTR.pdf  over it.  Which is an alkyd based industrial primer, he's done 4 duck hunting boats with it and said I'd have no problems with it. 
Use a good metal marine primer; of the acid-etch wash type.
Would acetone work?
I will definately post up my experiences with this product - seems like it'll work great!  I'm really looking forward to dry feet and a dry tackle bag.   :)
tight lines....

rebelss

• Northern's for Supper!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:32 PM »
No, Acetone is a chemical cleaning solvent, not a primer. Primers prepare surfaces for paint and are to be applied like a paint...haven't you ever used a primer like KILZ on a wall before painting? Same thing. They seal the surface and give the paint something to "grab" onto. Scratch the paint on your car and you'll be looking at the primer....
"Time is here and gone"....The Doobies

TheDL

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:41 PM »
nope, - I've never painted anything in my life  ???  That product that was recommended to me was an industrial primer and was the only thing the guy at the paint shop has that is "epoxy friendly".  I'm going to give that a go ontop of the gluvit
tight lines....

JamesK

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2012, 05:51 PM »
I have used this stuff several times and have had great success. i never primed the boat befre i painted it and it has never chipped or cracked. I rolled the paint on but next time i need to do it I'll spray paint the boat nicer finish. Don't put a lot on, for it will run and once hard a sander wont take it off

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.