FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Barley Straw for weed control.Who else uses this?  (Read 1058 times)

retired-uaw

Barley Straw for weed control.Who else uses this?
« on: Mar 24, 2015, 11:40 AM »
For about 10 years I have used 2 bails of Barley Straw per year in my pond to control that green slimy moss. Just wondering if anyone else uses this method. I know a farmer that sells it for $10/ bail. These are the large bails like hay or straw. It does a fantastic job of keeping the moss away. I don't like putting chemicals in it like copper sulfate. Before last years winter kill, I also had some grass carp. For now I'm just going to let the Duck Weed grow for cover. If it becomes a problem I will go back to some more grass carp. Tell me what you use for weed control.
"WORK" is for people who don`t know how to "FISH"

sprkplug

Re: Barley Straw for weed control.Who else uses this?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2015, 04:05 PM »
I think the jury is still out on it's effectiveness as an algae control. Some folks swear by it, others swear at it. A few studies suggest that alkalinity plays a huge role in it's effectiveness. Purdue tested it, and achieved good results in some areas, not so good in others. Definitely not understood fully. The general consensus is that it will not kill existing algae, but may prevent future growth, AND, there are many varieties of filamentous algae (green slime), and some may be more susceptible than others.

I use Cutrine plus for control of FA.

rp dog

Re: Barley Straw for weed control.Who else uses this?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2015, 01:47 PM »
My son used on his pond and did make a difference for him. I'm going to try it on mine but mine is part of creps program so i couldn't build it very deep about waist deep but by his results I'm going to give it a shot. Got to have room for ducks and geese to land.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.