FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looking for Advice (Carp Tactics)  (Read 7194 times)

Issiah

Looking for Advice (Carp Tactics)
« on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:24 PM »
Gonna Try targeting Carp this week for the 1st time. We will be anchoring a boat on a shallow flat & casting out over a drop off that drops down to 6-10ft. There is carp everywhere!  I'm wondering if fishing bottom is a good place to start or should I try to suspend the bait.  We'll be using Corn & Homeade "Boilies" on hair rigs & will not be able to chum the area prior to our arrival.  From what I've read; sounds like I should throw handfuls of corn in the area we are fishing?

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Looking for Advice (Carp Tactics)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:49 PM »
Bottom rig/slip sinker works for me.

We are unable to chum in MN, but I have never found it necessary. I usually put a gob of crawlers on a Eagle Claw Laser Sharp 2/0 hook with a 12 to 14 inch leader below the sinker. Make sure they don't feel tension before you set the hook or they will drop it.

Make sure you fish with the bail open, if they feel you, they will spit the hook asap. Sometimes the resistance of a bobber is enough to spook them. :-\

Good luck!

If Bean doesn't post in here, send him a PM. He is an avid water pig hunter. ;D

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2008, 07:45 PM »
wonder bread
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Use the hair rig with sweet corn.  I usually bring 2 cans of corn with me.  One to chum and the other to use as bait.  Make sure you do not make too many waves when the carp are around.  They can be very spooky.  Long casts are best.  Good luck and let us know how you make out. 

fingerlaker

• If it smells good->Eat It !!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2008, 09:09 AM »
I use field corn field corn but let it soak in water for a day before using.  I do plenty of chumming then bait my hook with it.  Before fishing with the corn I boil it for over an hour and adding flavor to it.  One flavor I use is strawberry kool aide.....another is a mixture of vanilla extract and maple syrup.  Have done well with both flavors !!!!   Love fighting these hogs!!!!

khaaxma

« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Gonna Try targeting Carp this week for the 1st time. We will be anchoring a boat on a shallow flat & casting out over a drop off that drops down to 6-10ft. There is carp everywhere!  I'm wondering if fishing bottom is a good place to start or should I try to suspend the bait.  We'll be using Corn & Homeade "Boilies" on hair rigs & will not be able to chum the area prior to our arrival.  From what I've read; sounds like I should throw handfuls of corn in the area we are fishing?
Although what I am going to share doesn't seem to be a high percentage tactic, I caught a huge carp last week while trolling for walleye. I was using a down-deep Rapala Husky Jerk. The carp slammed the lure and had both the back and middle sets of hook in its mouth. I never target carp, but they sometimes take our lures anyway!
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Issiah

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:15 PM »
I've had that happen on quite few occasions; especially in the Spring; They seem very aggressive in the spring at times. Some will take the lures into their mouths while others it seems as though they swim up on a lure and slap it with their tails or they roll on it, resulting in a foul hooked fish. Took a big channel Cat trolling one time also!   Took quite a few carp on crawlers while bullhead fishing at night also. But from the way guys are talking it sounds like there is definitely more productive ways out there.

Anyone know if Chumming for Carp is legal in New York State?

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:38 PM »
where is rgfixit?? i think he uses hair jigs with raspberry jelly.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

tbirdbassr

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:45 PM »
ahh just slip an arrow in em like I did these lol

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Sounds like you have the right set up. If allowed in your state, I would definately chum.  I use a slip sinker about 12" to 18" above the hair rigged hook.  
Ken A.

john t.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2008, 07:49 PM »
CORN ! whole kernnel  . put it on a hook and get it on the bottom .

Issiah

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25, 2008, 08:08 PM »
I've heard a quite a few guys say they will drop the bait if they feel the hook; but man I tell yah, I've seen em' rip poles right off of our "Y's" while bullhead fishing :o :o. I'm sure though that they do drop the bait sometimes from all the suggestions and will certainly keep my bail open and use a slip sinker.

I've thought about Bow fishing; but, think that I would enjoy catching em' more on Rod and Reel. I don't see anything wrong with using a Bow & certainly would enjoy trying it but I'm not into taking fish unless there is sound management reasons or have a good use for the fish.  I've heard that cut up carp works great for coon trapping, at pocket sets, cubbies ect...  What other uses is there??

Still haven't got out to try targeting Carp yet.  The trip we had planned got rained out; I'll be sure to let you guys know how we do...Thanx for the advice!

tbirdbassr

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Ya got that right nothing better for coons than a chunk o carp and a little shellfish on top!! You can also till em in the garden and grow 5# tomatoers

corny13

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2008, 09:35 PM »
I fished with a guy from sweden this may that has fished many carp contests in Europe...kind of like pro bass /walleye fishing here in the states, he swears also by the field corn soaked a day before and flavored with suger or something sweet as chum and bait.

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2008, 08:46 AM »
try fishing on the bottom and also use a piece of hot dog with dough balls. it is an excellent bait and you won:t regret it .
hard core fanatic!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.