FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56440 times)

Simplecarppieguy

• Established in 1969, Fisherman by 1975..
Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #105 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Bob, Are you up next week? If I get out early at when your up I'll fish with you.. Hope the bit will be on.

SCG..
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

fishgalore

« Reply #106 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:03 PM »
looking at pics of chrome steel   a fair number have  spots on the head , and  i have one looks like a dom  rainbow in all way except no spots. if you want i can post some pics when i get a chance.  imho that one looks like a young ?2 year rainbow , older fish will  start to look more  like the typical fish of the strain .

Good point Fish and one I've taken note of myself but perhaps the difference is that the colored Steelhead manifest different characteristics such as the color change and no spots when they are spawning. This would at least explain the morphological differences between the various strains of the same species. Variations within a species is a common thing and differences have been observed and noted. One thing we know about such things is that one species cannot become another species. You can have variations within a species but the basic genetic makeup cannot cause macro changes. For example, a cat cannot become a dog or vice versa, etc.....etc.......ad infinitum.

At least in my studies concerning evolution/creation theories. The DNA evidence far surpasses any credible paleontological evidence (study of fossil record) and most scientists would note that one species cannot evolve into another species (did I open a pandora's box now?) What can happen with the DNA is a mutation but a mutation is NOT an improvement but either has a neutral effect or a harmful one. In other words the species cannot be improved but there is a "breakdown" in the genetic makeup. Sorry for getting so technical but that's where the heavy hitters (biolgists/scientists) will be in making their arguments. I'm not on their level but I'm also not ignorant of such things.

fishgalore

« Reply #107 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:07 PM »
Bob, Are you up next week? If I get out early at when your up I'll fish with you.. Hope the bit will be on.

SCG..

Dude, this Friday, Saturday & Sunday. COD aka Gillripper1 will be up on Thurs-Sun. Fishthefalls and I will do a driftboat with Northwoods on Friday. Then maybe later in the day fish with Shane & COD. Then we are available all day SAT & SUN but if the flows are good we want to hit OZ, preferably Sunday. But at least one day for sure. You're welcome anytime we're there. I know COD likes down low and up high. Hope to fish both I'm sure.

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #108 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:11 PM »
I'll call you and let you know.. Good luck if I don't see you. I have my daughter this weekend.  ;D
16 kings, 100 dropped!! Its not all about how many you get to the bank, its about the fun and friendship!

fishgalore

« Reply #109 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:15 PM »
I'll call you and let you know.. Good luck if I don't see you. I have my daughter this weekend.  ;D

Thanks, hope to see you but if I don't enjoy your time together.

Simplecarppieguy

« Reply #110 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Always do! lol

lpv89

« Reply #111 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:29 PM »
me and a group of friends are coming up to the Salmon on saturday it looks like! a Suicide from WNY. cant wait here are my pics from an  Trib this past weekend

Fish on!!!!!!!! When i get that big one the world will know.

lpv89

« Reply #112 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:43 PM »
the smallest one was a picture taker because it was suspect wild. it was chrome as can be. and not damaged fins and no marks on it at all.. it faught as hard as the bigger ones did.

fishgalore

« Reply #113 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:47 PM »
the smallest one was a picture taker because it was suspect wild. it was chrome as can be. and not damaged fins and no marks on it at all.. it faught as hard as the bigger ones did.

That's the 3rd pic and I would guess it's a steelhead but the others I'd guess Domestic Rainbows. Don't know if I'm right though. Nice fish boys!

Special Ed

« Reply #114 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:59 PM »
With an semi educated guess, I'd say the first 2 are rainbows (D) the next 2 Steelhead and the last Rainbow.  Hard to tell from the pictures and the angle that the fish are being held.

lpv89

« Reply #115 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:23 PM »
actually im almost certain all were steelhead. except a possible one which was the first picture i posted.  they were not push overs and everyone jumped. except the first picture it kinda faught like a wet boot. therefor i believe it was a rainbow

lpv89

« Reply #116 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:26 PM »
That's the 3rd pic and I would guess it's a steelhead but the others I'd guess Domestic Rainbows. Don't know if I'm right though. Nice fish boys!

i threw these pics in because i fished a trib off of Lake Erie. and Lake Erie in NYS state mostly stocks Washington Strain, with some Skamania's boy they faught like steelies ill tell you that one. except for the first one. it was a wet boot like i stated before

Special Ed

« Reply #117 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:50 PM »
actually im almost certain all were steelhead. except a possible one which was the first picture i posted.  they were not push overs and everyone jumped. except the first picture it kinda faught like a wet boot. therefor i believe it was a rainbow
There are many factors that determine how hard those fish will fight.  How long they've been in the river or creeks, how much oxygen is in the water, how far they traveled on any given day, water temperature and depth and last but not least, the guy on the other end of the rod.

esox v

« Reply #118 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:00 AM »
ok  as  you  all  know  i been  following  this  thread  close  and  i  have  been listening  to  everyone  .  and  i  think   i know  have  the  skills  to  positivally  identify  steelhead   and  rainbows!!!!

sliver appearance  long  sleender  body shape  fights  agressivaly   

STEELHEAD  FOR SURE!!!!!!!!

bright  colors blue  green hue ......shorter  stocky  body 
rainbow!!!!!

and  the   killer    bright  silvery blue  body  lots  of  facal  spots  and  color yet stocky body

a  cross!!!!!!!!!!!

i  think i  finally  got  it  down   thanks   guys

You must be the guy that walked out of the corner hole at the dam with the lake trout !!
"There is no crueler tyranny than that which is perpetrated
under the shield of law and in the name of justice."
--Charles de Montesquieu (1689-1755)
For tyranny to work some idiots are required…

The most dangerous thing any nation faces..  is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them....

Special Ed

« Reply #119 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:40 AM »
  You must be the guy that walked out of the corner hole at the dam with the lake trout !!
Don't you mean that big rock ?  ::) 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.