FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quick trip with Dad  (Read 833 times)

stripernut

Quick trip with Dad
« on: Mar 29, 2020, 01:56 PM »
After doing well in the canoe and seeing that some of the rivers had been stock I called my father and suggested a drive with some fishing. We figured the risk is low to drive together as I have been dropping by his place fairly often... He will be 75 April 15th (we always loved how the old MA opening day was his birthday) and is still doing well, but can't walk and climb like he use to. Not surprisingly many of the spots that were easy to get to already had guys fishing, so I took him to a spot that I have done well at with holdovers that would be in his "range". The water was high and cold but besides the tannin stain was clear. With spinners, I got one nice brown and jumped anther. Sadly he did not hook up. We ended down at the Conn River, with the water down at a fishable level hoping for some walleye, but the sun was still to high and we did not want to wait that long. We did call ahead and got some burgers and fries at the Black Cow Burger Bar in Turners Fall. If you like a good quality burger you can't go wrong there! They like many are still working out the bugs for safe pick up (take out), but it was worth it.  Monday I will be over at his house to do some painting for him and to start getting the boat ready... It was sad to see the gate at Bartons Cove was still locked.

bogtrotter

Re: Quick trip with Dad
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Good for you for taking your Dad out.

Sorry to hear the weather/waters weren't more cooperative, but at least you got one.

I'm intrigued by your reference to the Conn River - - I've never heard of it before, and now I'll have to put it on my "to do" list.

Also, thanks for the tip about the Black Cow - - good restaurants are hard to find.

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:25 AM »
Connecticut River... I am showing my age when I was a kid that was how you abbreviated Connecticut. I like fishing the river as you never know what you might get and there are some BIG fish in the river. The downside is I can get skunked there easier than most places...

bogtrotter

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Looking back at it, you're right, I should have figured that "Conn River" meant the Connecticut.  Silly me.

I haven't fished it for years, but I agree about your assessment of it (i.e., it's tough to fish, but lots of size/variety are out there).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.