FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Foul Weather Friends  (Read 1290 times)

bogtrotter

Foul Weather Friends
« on: Mar 29, 2020, 03:02 PM »
Today's weather was gross - - leaden skies, not quite raining (more of a mist) and (according to the thermometer in my car) 42 degrees (but it felt a lot colder) - - with a damp chill that got under your skin and into your bones.

Given how the trout have generally been keeping themselves scarce lately, I thought I'd mix things up a bit and try a spot I can usually count on for some pan fish action.

I drove to Pittsfield and fished below the Wahconah Street dam.

Fortunately, my "leetle friends" were there to play tug-o-war, and over the course of 20 minutes or so I reeled in six dink (5" to 9") perch, whom I promptly released unharmed to gambol and frolic about.

(Note: They really like butterworms).

On the way home, I stopped at Silver Lake and made a few half-hearted (and totally unproductive) casts. 

On the plus side, I noted that the environmental consultants hired to clean up the place last year did a good job removing the weeds that used to choke up the Lake.  I also saw my first great blue heron of the year.

I also stopped en route to check out the new Cheshire Sporting Goods store (in the old HD Reynolds General Store building) on Church Street in Cheshire.  It looks promising.  I wish them luck.  We need a good independent sporting goods store up this way.

scooper47

Re: Foul Weather Friends
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2020, 07:22 AM »
Are they going to be selling live shiners?

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Out here we've had then same weather with the addtion of high winds. The wind is what really gets me!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

zwiggles

« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2020, 09:49 AM »
Nice report BT!

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Nice report.  Thanks.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

bogtrotter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Are they going to be selling live shiners?

Not that I've heard of - - but JCB Bait is just down the road on Depot Street (about 1/4 mile away).

BerkshireBass

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2020, 11:40 AM »
Thats a good day on the water. That sporting goods store does look promising. And yes, we do need one in the area. They said theyl have their FFL soon and will be getting more fishing equipment as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.